Scammers and Warnings

The police actually helps you when you get scammed

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2018 8:33 am
[OP]
Dec 16, 2017
4 posts

The police actually helps you when you get scammed

I was really close to getting scammed. What saved me was the seller didn't fake her information and I had her phone number and address as well as probably very detailed evidence to prove her info is real. I included everything I could do to prove she didn't fake her info and what I found about her by googling is real. (Luckily, I was able to find her twitter so it was not too hard.)

We were located in different cities but she said she was going to come to my city later in the week. The thing was, she was not willing to hold the item for me until then. So to ensure I get the item, I sent her money in advance as it was such a good deal and she made me trust her by making me feel safe and comfortable.

Ever since I sent her money, she had lied, made so many excuses and ignored my messages so many times. She never came to my city. She also seemed to have an anger issue so whenever I tried to confront her about the situation, she would always send me back this long messages saying she doesn't have any responsibility for this whatsoever and I'm the one who should be blamed, blah blah.

She definitely saw me as an easy pushover and I was because I was so afraid of losing my money without even getting the item. I had been too nice with her even when she sent me those nonsense messages. (I even apologized.) When I asked her to either ship it or refund my money back, she said she was not willing to refund me at all until it was sold to someone else, and mocked me for asking for a refund, laughing and saying who would try to get a refund on Kijiji.

I had no choice because it was so obvious she would never contact me if I just decided to wait. So I asked her to ship the item. Since then, I had to deal with so many lies & excuses and being ignored again. At that point, already a month had passed. I was so tired of the whole situation and couldn't be an easy pushover anymore. I gave her a notice if she doesn't give me my money back by this period, I am going to report her to the authorities. No response for a few days. I actually reported her to the local police and CAFC. I sent her messages and screenshots of the approval email for my report. Still, she was absolutely ballsy, saying the police wouldn't help me so stop contacting her and people don't even get refunds on Kijiji. I was so hopeless but I didn't give up and did everything I could do for my report in order to persuade the authorities. I tried to specify the event objectively and collected and organized my evidence professionally. And after a few days, I got a text message from her saying how sorry she was and she would ship the item right now. The officer actually went to her house and even investigated if she really had the item.

Now this whole thing is finally over after 40 days, I have to say people on here tend to say 'just move on' very easily. When I tried to find anything helpful for this thing, all I could find was just 'move on.' Well, I know I was very lucky that the police actually helped me, but they can actually help you if you provide them with enough evidence. So if you got scammed, focus on getting as much information as you can and start your own investigation. And who knows. So good luck everyone and never send money first on Kijiji even if you feel safe!
Last edited by woowoowoo on Feb 2nd, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
13 replies
Nov 30, 2016
48 posts
35 upvotes
Rule #1 for Kijiji, if you can't meet in person to do the transaction-then no sale.

Glad you got your money back though.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
1970 posts
1600 upvotes
Calgary
MadCatz wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 11:25 pm
Rule #1 for Kijiji, if you can't meet in person to do the transaction-then no sale.

Glad you got your money back though.
Yeah, I have certain conditions myself.

#1. Has to be a local
#2. The location we meet at has to have other people around for security reasons. I usually choose my place of work.
#3. Give me the money first, then you can have the goods. If you try to renegotiate after we came to an agreed price prior, you can shove it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14899 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest you should have never been in this situation in the first place. Way too many red flags.

Nonetheless I am glad it worked out for you. Too bad they didn’t arrest her though.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2980 posts
365 upvotes
GTA
woowoowoo wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 11:10 pm
So to ensure I get the item, I sent her money in advance
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8711 posts
753 upvotes
Toronto
woowoowoo wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 11:10 pm
I was really close to getting scammed. What saved me was the seller didn't fake her information and I had her phone number and address as well as probably very detailed evidence to prove her info is real. I included everything I could do to prove she didn't fake her info and what I found about her by googling is real. (Luckily, I was able to find her twitter so it was not too hard.)

We were located in different cities but she said she was going to come to my city later in the week. The thing was, she was not willing to hold the item for me until then. So to ensure I get the item, I sent her money in advance as it was such a good deal and she made me trust her by making me feel safe and comfortable.

Ever since I sent her money, she had lied, made so many excuses and ignored my messages so many times. She never came to my city. She also seemed to have an anger issue so whenever I tried to confront her about the situation, she would always send me back this long messages saying she doesn't have any responsibility for this whatsoever and I'm the one who should be blamed, blah blah.

She definitely saw me as an easy pushover and I was because I was so afraid of losing my money without even getting the item. I had been too nice with her even when she sent me those nonsense messages. (I even apologized.) When I asked her to either ship it or refund my money back, she said she was not willing to refund me at all until it was sold to someone else, and mocked me for asking for a refund, laughing and saying who would try to get a refund on Kijiji.

I had no choice because it was so obvious she would never contact me if I just decided to wait. So I asked her to ship the item. Since then, I had to deal with so many lies & excuses and being ignored again. At that point, already a month had passed. I was so tired of the whole situation and couldn't be an easy pushover anymore. I gave her a notice if she doesn't give me my money back by this period, I am going to report her to the authorities. No response for a few days. I actually reported her to the local police and CAFC. I sent her messages and screenshots of the approval email for my report. Still, she was absolutely ballsy, saying the police wouldn't help me so stop contacting her and people don't even get refunds on Kijiji. I was so hopeless but I didn't give up and did everything I could do for my report in order to persuade the authorities. I tried to specify the event objectively and collected and organized my evidence professionally. And after a few days, I got a text message from her saying how sorry she was and she would ship the item right now. The officer actually went to her house and even investigated if she really had the item.

Now this whole thing is finally over after 40 days, I have to say people on here tend to say 'just move on' very easily. When I tried to find anything helpful for this thing, all I could find was just 'move on.' Well, I know I was very lucky that the police actually helped me, but they can actually help you if you provide them with enough evidence. So if you got scammed, focus on getting as much information as you can and start your own investigation. And who knows. So good luck everyone and never send money first on Kijiji even if you feel safe!
Failed scammer is what she was. The only reason it failed her was because she for whatever reason was able to be found via social media. Not really all that surprising.
Apr 18, 2017
69 posts
60 upvotes
Isn't Kijiji trying to push PayPal now, defeating their original push to meet in person only lol?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2592 posts
836 upvotes
Toronto
User131439 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 12:39 pm
Isn't Kijiji trying to push PayPal now, defeating their original push to meet in person only lol?
I can see how that might help legitimize a transaction for the buyer. You have no cash to get stolen and it somewhat verifies the seller even when you meet in person. Giving you marginal PayPal protection.
The real winner would be PayPal picking up more revenues through a sister company.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5064 posts
1007 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 5:08 am
To be honest you should have never been in this situation in the first place. Way too many red flags.

Nonetheless I am glad it worked out for you. Too bad they didn’t arrest her though.
Can't believe there are people out there willing to send complete strangers money with nothing more than a "promise".
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3136 posts
354 upvotes
GTA
JayLove06 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 2:28 pm
Can't believe there are people out there willing to send complete strangers money with nothing more than a "promise".
You know what they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Trust nobody. Unless they have feedback on RFD, of course :)
Koodo $49 - Unlimited Talk + Text + 6GB x3
Koodo $25 - Unlimited Talk + Text
Fido $19 - 200 Mins Talk + Unlimited E/W after 6PM + Unlimited International Text

AMEX Biz Plat 75K
AMEX Biz Gold 40K
Mar 26, 2008
249 posts
32 upvotes
sounds like you both got off easy, her not facing criminal charges and you finally getting the item from the scammer.
Jul 5, 2006
68 posts
16 upvotes
Burlington
There is a scam regarding Paypal I saw on a UK tv show called Ripoff Britain where people pay by Paypal and then come to pick up the goods. After picking them up they contact paypal and dispute the transaction and get the money paid back. Paypal has a clause that says you have to have an item shipped so they can prove it was dispatched and this is the loophole these scammers are now using