Automotive

Police Flashing but no ticket issued

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2019 10:58 am
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes

Police Flashing but no ticket issued

Hi guys. I know this might a silly question for you. But I am still confused about Toronto Police system.
This is the situation: Today I was driving in campus, I was smoking while driving (May consider distract driving), there was an undercover police car passing me from another direction line. Then I saw the car flashing the light through my mirror. The car tended to make a U-turn but due to lots of students passing the street, the car turns back and drive to the front. So I wasn't got pulled over. Is there a possibility in Ontario that police can issue a ticket based on license plate and mail me a ticket? Or if I did not get pulled over -> no ticket issued= no fine?

Thanks for any explanation.
14 replies
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
You're fine. Don't smoke while you drive. Don't smoke cuz its bad for you.

Enjoy your free pass this time.
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1177 upvotes
More importantly, how did you dispose of the cigarette butt?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Could be Campus Police.
WaterBro wrote: Hi guys. I know this might a silly question for you. But I am still confused about Toronto Police system.
This is the situation: Today I was driving in campus, I was smoking while driving (May consider distract driving), there was an undercover police car passing me from another direction line. Then I saw the car flashing the light through my mirror. The car tended to make a U-turn but due to lots of students passing the street, the car turns back and drive to the front. So I wasn't got pulled over. Is there a possibility in Ontario that police can issue a ticket based on license plate and mail me a ticket? Or if I did not get pulled over -> no ticket issued= no fine?

Thanks for any explanation.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
ekcivichb wrote: More importantly, how did you dispose of the cigarette butt?
Surprisingly enough, you can still buy ashtrays for your car.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maybe OP was using a E-cigarette vapor?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
You're fine.

For those saying a ticket is not possible that's false, the police have 6 months to issue a ticket. The officer can write the plate number down and go to your home to identify you as the driver and issue a citation. Likely to happen? No but it is possible.
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
164 upvotes
Just wait and pray that the cop did not write anything down
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
I got ashtray in my car, it is automatic closing/open so i dont even need a second hand. If one hand was holding a cigar then another will always be on the wheel.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Flashing doesn't mean anything in your situation, Police may got another call and need to go to the opposite direction. It may not because of you.
Just don't try to run away because he is still far away, they can always call back up on the other side.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5284 upvotes
GTA
When they legalized weed, government played some educational videos on YouTube. Most of those drivers were confused too Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. Some stopped in front of the stop sign, and when the cop asked them what are they waiting for, the driver with big smile answered : waaaiting for the signnn to turn green....Don't smoke and drive!
Mar 22, 2004
845 posts
682 upvotes
London, ON
You can get a distracted driving ticket for smoking?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
ncnmra wrote: You can get a distracted driving ticket for smoking?
I believe in Ontario, what's typically referred to as "distracted driving" is actually "using a handheld electronic communications device", so no, you can't get charged with "distracted driving" for smoking. However, that doesn't mean you can't get a "careless driving" charge for not paying attention to driving.

In other areas (like Alberta), distracted driving actually exists as a charge, and can include anything from texting while driving to personal grooming. And yes, eating/drinking/smoking are included if they distract you from driving. For example, eating a bowl of cereal while driving (and yes, that has happened). Smoking, I'd guess you'd typically be safe, but if you're trying to roll your own cigarette while cruising down the highway at 120 km/h, then you might get ticketed.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)