Computers & Electronics

Police investigating theft of 495 flat-screen TVs from truck yard in Mississauga

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2015 2:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Kremorgan wrote: That's a myth (anybody can put a sticker on a trailer). I haul general freight (electronics, clothing, tobacco, alcohol, etc) and I've never had a trailer with tracking/gps technology.
Probably because they never told you about it. Transporting expensive goods is a tremendous liability and gps is required by insurance companies.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
ji2o0k wrote: It was me....
I will call the police to get in touch with you.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
toguy wrote: It's incredible how easy it is to gain access to some of these yards. There was a documentary on this just a couple weeks back (W5 I think).
Yep it happens a lot more than people think. Where do you think all the stuff in flea markets, etc. comes from? Mostly stolen. While TVs may not necessarily be found there (at flea markets), there's other shops you can find selling stuff like this--no manufacture warranty they tell you crap like they will warranty it, it came from US/grey market, etc. but really it's just plain stolen lol.
Piro21 wrote: Don't all these trailers have GPS trackers? How'd they make off with it undetected?
Nah. Lots of trucks (tractors) have tracking but trailers? Not so much.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
About 500 TV's.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
The more I think about this this was no random theft, this was a calculated heist in the same vein as those heist moves.
For 500 TVs to fit in 1 trailer these must have been low to mid end TV's around 32 to 46 inch, If the TV's were only valued at $375K avg price works out to $758 per tv.

best believe these will end up on resell market soon.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h <0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<h lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: rFD | 500+
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
Those tvs were probably for boxing day.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
be out on for a look out for white cube vans in walmart or mall parking lots. hey hey! " cheap :LED TV's! CASH ONLY!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Binoculars & atm card on standby...
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
The second one of these TV's is registered.... the new owner spills the beans and they can back track.

Inside job, probably liquidated in some legit liquidator store the other side of the country for Boxing Day only.
But if the pop-up store is gone... the trail is cold.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
ah802 wrote: The second one of these TV's is registered.... the new owner spills the beans and they can back track.

Inside job, probably liquidated in some legit liquidator store the other side of the country for Boxing Day only.
But if the pop-up store is gone... the trail is cold.
Bingo we have a winner, ding ding ding! you'd be crazy to buy a "hot" tv from the Flea market and want to "register" it with the company for warranty?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ah802 wrote: The second one of these TV's is registered.... the new owner spills the beans and they can back track.
Do people actually register their stuff?
I don't think I ever have.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
158 upvotes
Wood Bridge
death_hawk wrote: Do people actually register their stuff?
I registered many of my purchases I got a letter once that one of my kid toys I bought had a recall and gave me instructions how to exchange it. for the TV they told me if there is a software fix in the future they will mail/email me instructions on If I am impacted and how to update it on my own.
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
death_hawk wrote: Do people actually register their stuff?
It doesn't make sense, but most extended warranties on electronics often require you to register.

ie. Ultra's lifetime warranty is actually just a year if you don't register.

The reason why it doesn't make sense, is because most companies still require the original receipt for a RMA even after you registered. (Now that TigerDirect is gone, all my Ultra PSUs are out of warranty :( )
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Dinujan wrote: It doesn't make sense, but most extended warranties on electronics often require you to register.

ie. Ultra's lifetime warranty is actually just a year if you don't register.

The reason why it doesn't make sense, is because most companies still require the original receipt for a RMA even after you registered. (Now that TigerDirect is gone, all my Ultra PSUs are out of warranty :( )
But I thought we were supposed to throw broken things out in the bin and go to the store to get new shiny stuff?
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought a 46" led smart-tv in a new unopened box from Kijiji for $120 cash... a Samsung. But its legit, the guy said it was bought for his grandma but she refused it because she doesn't watch tv ever.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Gammatron wrote: I just bought a 46" led smart-tv in a new unopened box from Kijiji for $120 cash... a Samsung. But its legit, the guy said it was bought for his grandma but she refused it because she doesn't watch tv ever.
Well, if the guy said that, it would have to be true. A thief wouldn't lie and you'd never fall for a scam. Although your friends fall for a lot of scams...
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Gammatron wrote: I just bought a 46" led smart-tv in a new unopened box from Kijiji for $120 cash... a Samsung. But its legit, the guy said it was bought for his grandma but she refused it because she doesn't watch tv ever.
buying a stolen property. tps is contacted.