Page 1 of 3

polite way to inform a person that you will not be goin to the scheduled interview

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 12:49 pm
by olliebambino
Hey,

2 weeks ago I was called for an interview and it was scheduled to be this thursday. I have decided that I do not want to go to this interview as I have a couple other opportunities that look like they are in my favor. I also do not think I will like working for this particular company.

What could be a polite way to BS and let the person know that I do not want to go to this interview?

Re: polite way to inform a person that you will not be goin to the scheduled interview

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 12:55 pm
by Laphroaig
You have several days to the appointment, just call them and tell them to cancel because you'd like to pursue other opportunities. Be polite and thank them for their consideration. That's it. Don't wait until the last minute.

Re: polite way to inform a person that you will not be goin to the scheduled interview

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:12 pm
by JK400
Why do you need to be polite about it? If you don't want the job just don't show up to the interview and don't answer their calls or e-mails, or if they do contact you tell them at that point that you're not interested. Just pretend they don't exist, it's what companies do to applicants when they're not interested. Don't go out of your way to be polite, there's no point.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:18 pm
by Laphroaig
^ Because if you don't show up and don't bother telling them, they're going to be pissed - and I'd bet they'll get HR to contact you explaining why you didn't bother showing up. Depending on the industry, you could be blacklisted from all reputable firms in the region, especially if you're rude. I've seen it happen. Yes, companies do that to you, but life isn't fair - and right now it's not a seller's market, they have the advantage. Just let them know you don't want it anymore.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:27 pm
by JK400
Laphroaig wrote: ^ Because if you don't show up and don't bother telling them, they're going to be pissed - and I'd bet they'll get HR to contact you explaining why you didn't bother showing up. Depending on the industry, you could be blacklisted from all reputable firms in the region, especially if you're rude. I've seen it happen. Yes, companies do that to you, but life isn't fair - and right now it's not a seller's market, they have the advantage. Just let them know you don't want it anymore.
Lol what movie was this from?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:29 pm
by Laphroaig
Are you even employed?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:32 pm
by Truemana
JK400 wrote: Why do you need to be polite about it? If you don't want the job just don't show up to the interview and don't answer their calls or e-mails, or if they do contact you tell them at that point that you're not interested. Just pretend they don't exist, it's what companies do to applicants when they're not interested. Don't go out of your way to be polite, there's no point.
Wow, that's terrible advice. I hope this isn't how you approach life in general. It appears you feel you were wronged by some company at one point, and you're out to get every company back?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:33 pm
by HoleyMoley
Maybe just go to the interview anyways?

If it isn't a scheduling conflict, it can't hurt to do another interview - if only to polish and refine your interviewing skills. Also, your other opportunities might fall through and go nowhere.
Lastly, you should at least meet with the person before deciding the job and company aren't for you. Who knows...you may be impressed with what you see once you are through the front door.

It is not unethical to go to a job interview when you aren't interested in the job at all - otherwise, every job seeker should only apply to one job and wait until the company confirms they will not be interviewed before applying to a second job.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 1:35 pm
by JK400
HoleyMoley wrote: Maybe just go to the interview anyways?

If it isn't a scheduling conflict, it can't hurt to do another interview - if only to polish and refine your interviewing skills. Also, your other opportunities might fall through and go nowhere.
Lastly, you should at least meet with the person before deciding the job and company aren't for you. Who knows...you may be impressed with what you see once you are through the front door.

It is not unethical to go to a job interview when you aren't interested in the job at all - otherwise, every job seeker should only apply to one job and wait until the company confirms they will not be interviewed before applying to a second job.
I like this. Either use the opportunity to your advantage or forget about it, don't waste your time.

Yes I am employed, I don't recall being wronged by any companies so that I would want to exact my revenge, it's just how the game works.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 2:00 pm
by BornRuff
JK400 wrote: Why do you need to be polite about it? If you don't want the job just don't show up to the interview and don't answer their calls or e-mails, or if they do contact you tell them at that point that you're not interested. Just pretend they don't exist, it's what companies do to applicants when they're not interested. Don't go out of your way to be polite, there's no point.
This is dumb. You never know who you will run into again in the future. It is dumb to burn bridges like this when the alternative only takes a few minutes. Not showing up to an interview is incredibly rude and will really piss off the interviewer.

This is not "how the game works". Every reputable company that I have interviewed with has contact me afterwards to let me know the results of my interview, not avoided my calls. Some sketchy companies wont get back to you, but thats why they are sketchy companies.

Call the person, or even just send them an email explaining that you will not be coming to the interview.

I would say though, that going to the interview is likely the best idea. You only think that the other opportunities are more promising and that you wouldn't like working there. Things could change after the interview, and having more options is never a bad thing.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 2:08 pm
by JK400
BornRuff wrote: This is dumb. You never know who you will run into again in the future. It is dumb to burn bridges like this when the alternative only takes a few minutes. Not showing up to an interview is incredibly rude and will really piss off the interviewer.

This is not "how the game works". Every reputable company that I have interviewed with has contact me afterwards to let me know the results of my interview, not avoided my calls. Some sketchy companies wont get back to you, but thats why they are sketchy companies.

Call the person, or even just send them an email explaining that you will not be coming to the interview.

I would say though, that going to the interview is likely the best idea. You only think that the other opportunities are more promising and that you wouldn't like working there. Things could change after the interview, and having more options is never a bad thing.
The point was that the OP didn't want to work for this company. He's just some guy they were bringing in to have an interview, they won't think twice about him if he doesn't show up, no one cares, there are no bridges to be burned because neither party will be interested in dealing with each other. Move on with your lives, there are lots more companies and lots more goons that the company can hire. No one gives a crap, seriously.

I already said what I thought about showing up for the actual interview.

This board really is full of a bunch of dinguses.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 2:19 pm
by Truemana
JK400 wrote: This board really is full of a bunch of dinguses.
Dinguses that create entirely new attack threads about members they know nothing about (could have read revealing previously posted replies), and have never met?

truemana-lord-nerds-909607/

I'm sorry dude, but it's hard to take your opinion seriously on this topic after that.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 2:21 pm
by linux2k
Laphroaig wrote: ^ Because if you don't show up and don't bother telling them, they're going to be pissed - and I'd bet they'll get HR to contact you explaining why you didn't bother showing up. Depending on the industry, you could be blacklisted from all reputable firms in the region, especially if you're rude. I've seen it happen. Yes, companies do that to you, but life isn't fair - and right now it's not a seller's market, they have the advantage. Just let them know you don't want it anymore.
Well said. Its not good to burn bridges either.

If your industry is small or very specific then word travels very fast! Be nice even if you don't have to. No need to be vengeful or rude because it can come back and bite you in the a$$.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 3:12 pm
by Anathem
If you cancel your interview it at least gives the employer an opportunity to schedule someone else who may want the job. No-showing just means wasted time and effort for everyone involved.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 3:20 pm
by Smog
You mentioned about having a couple opportunities? Does this mean you have a couple job offers?

Go to the job interview to gain some experience. If the job offer comes then you can chose to decline. Going to the interview doesn't guarantee the job offer these days. Most people these days are begging for interviews...

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 8:19 pm
by Guest234437
wow, this is the WORST advice ever.

i'd much rather be polite and cancel the appointment than do nothing. you never know...you might end up with a better company that will end up collaborating with the company you stood up. maybe being a dick applies to crappy manual labor jobs that get you nowhere, but even then, you're much better off being polite so there won't be any anxiety in the future.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2010 8:33 pm
by BornRuff
JK400 wrote: The point was that the OP didn't want to work for this company. He's just some guy they were bringing in to have an interview, they won't think twice about him if he doesn't show up, no one cares, there are no bridges to be burned because neither party will be interested in dealing with each other. Move on with your lives, there are lots more companies and lots more goons that the company can hire. No one gives a crap, seriously.

I already said what I thought about showing up for the actual interview.

This board really is full of a bunch of dinguses.
You don't understand how small the world can be. It is a very bad idea to burn bridges when you don't have to. You may not want to work for that company, but people change companies. People talk.

The manager has been kind enough to extend you the opportunity to interview with them. If you can't make it, it is very basic courtesy to let them know.

At the very least, I believe it is never a bad idea to be respectful to everyone you come in contact with, professionally and personally. Gauging how you treat people based solely on what short term gain you can get from them is pretty low.

Posted: Jul 5th, 2010 4:56 am
by tylaw83
Truemana wrote: Dinguses that create entirely new attack threads about members they know nothing about (could have read revealing previously posted replies), and have never met?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/truemana ... ds-909607/

I'm sorry dude, but it's hard to take your opinion seriously on this topic after that.
Isn't it obvious he's a geek student who got banned and then created another username just to troll? Must be another idiot math major who thinks he'll be cashing in once he graduates...

Posted: Jul 5th, 2010 6:00 am
by jhardy
Call them and tell them that they're "not a good fit".

Posted: Jul 5th, 2010 4:35 pm
by Guest234437
tylaw83 wrote: Isn't it obvious he's a geek student who got banned and then created another username just to troll? Must be another idiot math major who thinks he'll be cashing in once he graduates...
judging from his posts, i don't even think he goes to school.