• Aug 23rd, 2017 1:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2427 posts
1136 upvotes
Montreal

Political Science internships?

Just graduating with my bachelor and have no idea what to do. Wondering if anyone knows good places to get an internship and experience in the Poli Sci field? Thanks
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2699 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa
danzerino wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 12:08 pm
Just graduating with my bachelor and have no idea what to do. Wondering if anyone knows good places to get an internship and experience in the Poli Sci field? Thanks
You could volunteer for someone who's running for political office. If the person's relatively unknown/unlikely to win you have a better chance of getting to do more important things within the campaign.
Mar 17, 2016
358 posts
234 upvotes
Go talk to your student political council parties. They usually have good connections but it works better if you were already a member for a while there. Talk to Pol. Sci profs to see what they recommend. Look up local party offices and contact them for hirings/volunteering.

Lots of Pol. Sci. Majors go to law school or end up teaching.

If all else fails, just go to college and pick up some specialized coop program so that you could get your foot in the door somewhere.
Sep 4, 2007
978 posts
357 upvotes
Edmonton
There's always public policy / public administration internships, but it's very, very, very difficult to get in.

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but what kind of expectations did you have for after graduation while you were doing your 3-4 years of studies?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1091 posts
333 upvotes
If you are a chick. Heard Clinton office is hiring for an intern. You have to pass interview with bill and you are in.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1449 posts
249 upvotes
GMA
I love these threads about people graduating in a specific field and then finding out there's isn't much they can do with their degree. Is this something you should've considered before ?
Jul 6, 2008
569 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Expectations vs Reality
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2427 posts
1136 upvotes
Montreal
If you guys have nothing relevant to say then don't bother to write anything...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7932 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
I think some of the criticism is valid, not to harp on necessarily your life choices, but what expectations did you have when going into the program and coming out?

Many people tend to have employers in mind or see themselves doing X and Y even while in school; did you have such an idea while in school? Have you explored those ideas/avenues?
What about other peers in school? Did they have an idea what they would be doing once exiting the program?
Usually the school has programs or alumni societies to help with figuring out jobs, or potential opportunities.

Not meant to be an attack, but I do have a hard time believing a bunch of people would make a decision about what they're going to be specializing for their career and have at least not a faint idea of what that leads to.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2427 posts
1136 upvotes
Montreal
uber_shnitz wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 1:59 pm
I think some of the criticism is valid, not to harp on necessarily your life choices, but what expectations did you have when going into the program and coming out?

Many people tend to have employers in mind or see themselves doing X and Y even while in school; did you have such an idea while in school? Have you explored those ideas/avenues?
What about other peers in school? Did they have an idea what they would be doing once exiting the program?
Usually the school has programs or alumni societies to help with figuring out jobs, or potential opportunities.

Not meant to be an attack, but I do have a hard time believing a bunch of people would make a decision about what they're going to be specializing for their career and have at least not a faint idea of what that leads to.
Yes I did have plans but unfortunately it did not work out as I wanted it to work out. I asked for some advice for internships, I did not ask people here if I picked the right program..
Apr 11, 2010
198 posts
38 upvotes
Look up UNA Canada UNIDDIP internship. It helped my career a lot.
Sep 23, 2011
296 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Check out the Federal Govt. website for post-secondary recruitment. My cousin also did political science and got an internship with the Federal Govt., which helped him land a full-time job after with the Govt. This was about a couple of years ago. Look into that.
Sep 6, 2016
32 posts
26 upvotes
While you're a student, look at the FSWEP listings. Depending on funding availability, there can be some pretty good postings for student positions. Check out your student job listings from whatever school you're at. There's likely provincial positions as well - check out your respective listings.

I have a degree in PoliSci as well. It's not directly relevant to the work I'm doing (and I've found the specialization largely irrelevant, unless you're actually employed in a policy-related role), but you get some pretty good experience in the program itself that you'll likely find beneficial in a larger career sense. Aside from that, positions that require a degree in PoliSci or that directly benefit from it are extremely few and far between. You're going to need to look outside that field if you want to be (financially) successful. Sure, volunteering for a local political party or some part-time gig with your MLA is great for experience...but what are you going to do with that experience? It's not going to translate to an actual political appointment. Look at the resume of any provincial or federal minister. How many of them only have a degree in PoliSci? The vast majority have specialized degrees or significant private-sector experience, in addition to time devoted to their respective political party.

Again - look outside the limited-scope PoliSci field. Consider further education even - most of my friends that graduated with that degree continued on to law or other specialized degrees or certificates, or pursued completely different careers. Hell, I was going to jump into law, saw how miserable the job outlook was a few years ago, and am now in law enforcement - where the pay and benefits are about at par with Senior Crown counsel, without the extra 3 years of school and 10 years of ladder-climbing. Don't limit yourself to the scope of your degree!
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
Look at supranational organizations such as UN, World Bank, etc. They have quite a few internships posted all year round. Might be unpaid and might involve going to middle of nowhere to try to do some good.