Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto

Political Threads

These threads seem to be all what a couple of members post and from what I recall, I thought that the no political threads/discussions rule was going to be enforced. Many of them turn into nothing but a name calling thread. What is the point of having this rule when it is broken daily?

If it isn't then the Political Forum needs to be brought back.
47 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
*crickets*

Interesting
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Maybe there's a compromise here.

What about a "Current Events" forum? It would cover a larger breadth than just politics and overtly political or flamebaiting (see: DearSummer) threads can be moderated.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
D-Roc wrote: These threads seem to be all what a couple of members post and from what I recall, I thought that the no political threads/discussions rule was going to be enforced. Many of them turn into nothing but a name calling thread. What is the point of having this rule when it is broken daily?

If it isn't then the Political Forum needs to be brought back.
In the rules

(Mods and admins are allowed to keep some current event topics open that may infringe on our no religious and/or political policy.)
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Kenny Blankenship wrote: In the rules

(Mods and admins are allowed to keep some current event topics open that may infringe on our no religious and/or political policy.)

Some. It seems that there is a new political thread every day (or at least weekly) as there are a couple members who only start political charged threads. If the mods are going to allow them, then they really should consider opening back up the Political forum and put them in there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
it would be good to have and poli&rel forum that is moderated with an iron fist.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
D-Roc wrote: Some. It seems that there is a new political thread every day (or at least weekly) as there are a couple members who only start political charged threads. If the mods are going to allow them, then they really should consider opening back up the Political forum and put them in there.

Why not take what they give us rather than demanding all or nothing? Something is better than nothing.
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Why not take what they give us rather than demanding all or nothing? Something is better than nothing.

Agreed. We should be happy with what we have or else it gets ruined for everyone else
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Why not take what they give us rather than demanding all or nothing? Something is better than nothing.

I think the problem is that there are one or two users that post the same kind of political threads repeatedly. One every once in a while is one thing, one every day or so is another.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
D-Roc wrote: then they really should consider opening back up the Political forum and put them in there.

That would be a really good idea and help free up OT
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote: I think the problem is that there are one or two users that post the same kind of political threads repeatedly. One every once in a while is one thing, one every day or so is another.

This is exactly my point. They got rid of the Political forum due to all the problems it caused. Then they said no Political threads at all. Then they slowly started allowing a couple of them. Due to elections going for example. Now it seems any political thread is allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Hitman21 wrote: Agreed. We should be happy with what we have or else it gets ruined for everyone else
These political on the brain posters are already ruining it.
Hitman21 wrote: That would be a really good idea and help free up OT
So which is it? We should be happy with what we have or should they open the Political forum?
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
D-Roc wrote: These political on the brain posters are already ruining it.

So which is it? We should be happy with what we have or should they open the Political forum?

A political/current events forum would be a very good idea and help free up OT and satisfy the users BUT I dont think this will happen which is why we should be happy that we still have the freedom to post
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
However, these political threads that are popping up more and more (not the odd one here and there) are always littered with personal attacks, etc. The Mods are allowed the odd thread and monitor it closely. They gave an inch and some members have taken a mile. So kno, we should not be happy with what we have.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
I think if they add a Politics forum, OT would die a slow death. How many non-political threads are even started in OT each day, one? two?

If the mods want to eliminate the discussion of politics, they are going to have to ban chronic posters of political threads and probably some of the most avid users of those threads, myself included.
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
flashy_mcflash wrote: I think if they add a Politics forum, OT would die a slow death. How many non-political threads are even started in OT each day, one? two?

If the mods want to eliminate the discussion of politics, they are going to have to ban chronic posters of political threads and probably some of the most avid users of those threads, myself included.

OT survived when there was a Political forum. It will continue to survive if it returns.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
flaherty-takes-another-swipe-ontarioa-s ... k-1170500/

Maybe instead of a Political sub forum we should have a Dearsummer sub forum.

[QUOTE]Political and Religious threads are still not allowed. This is a clause that will allow mods and admins to keep some current event topics open that may infringe on our no religious and/or political topics. For example, UBB, G20, the protests are all political in nature but also important to us as Canadians. If this clause gets abused, we will go back to the original no political/religious threads. This was for you the user to be able to discuss important current events, do not abuse it.

These topics general generate a lot of dialogue between the members but the discussion will be come heated due to the nature of the topic or the discussion will lead to this direction. Please do remember that meaningful discussion is encouraged but keep an open mind since everybody will have his/her own opinion and it's expected that opinion is respected. Trolling, baiting or flaming will not be tolerated and can or will be removed at the discretion of the moderating team.[/QUOTE]

How is dearsummers continual posting of political none current event threads not abusing the clause? The number that he posts is borderline trolling.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote: How is dearsummers continual posting of political none current event threads not abusing the clause? The number that he posts is borderline trolling.

I'm hoping enough post reports will get the ball rolling.

At least one of the problem posters is temp. banned (as seen above)...
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote: I'm hoping enough post reports will get the ball rolling.

At least one of the problem posters is temp. banned (as seen above)...

That is either his 4th or 5th temp ban in as many months. I would think it would have been a perma ban by now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Why hasn't Oranr commented on this topic yet? I assume he has seen it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)