[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 12:23 pm
I think if they add a Politics forum, OT would die a slow death. How many non-political threads are even started in OT each day, one? two?

If the mods want to eliminate the discussion of politics, they are going to have to ban chronic posters of political threads and probably some of the most avid users of those threads, myself included.

OT survived when there was a Political forum. It will continue to survive if it returns.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1089 upvotes
flaherty-takes-another-swipe-ontarioa-s ... k-1170500/

Maybe instead of a Political sub forum we should have a Dearsummer sub forum.

[QUOTE]Political and Religious threads are still not allowed. This is a clause that will allow mods and admins to keep some current event topics open that may infringe on our no religious and/or political topics. For example, UBB, G20, the protests are all political in nature but also important to us as Canadians. If this clause gets abused, we will go back to the original no political/religious threads. This was for you the user to be able to discuss important current events, do not abuse it.

These topics general generate a lot of dialogue between the members but the discussion will be come heated due to the nature of the topic or the discussion will lead to this direction. Please do remember that meaningful discussion is encouraged but keep an open mind since everybody will have his/her own opinion and it's expected that opinion is respected. Trolling, baiting or flaming will not be tolerated and can or will be removed at the discretion of the moderating team.[/QUOTE]

How is dearsummers continual posting of political none current event threads not abusing the clause? The number that he posts is borderline trolling.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 9:08 pm
How is dearsummers continual posting of political none current event threads not abusing the clause? The number that he posts is borderline trolling.

I'm hoping enough post reports will get the ball rolling.

At least one of the problem posters is temp. banned (as seen above)...
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote:
May 1st, 2012 12:11 am
I'm hoping enough post reports will get the ball rolling.

At least one of the problem posters is temp. banned (as seen above)...

That is either his 4th or 5th temp ban in as many months. I would think it would have been a perma ban by now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Why hasn't Oranr commented on this topic yet? I assume he has seen it.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
D-Roc wrote:
May 1st, 2012 4:39 am
That is either his 4th or 5th temp ban in as many months. I would think it would have been a perma ban by now.

One can only hope.

I don't go to OT anymore because of the sheer ignorance, arrogance, and trolling. Not worth losing IQ points. There are still a lot of good posts there, but there are way too many herp-derp political posts littering the place. Nothing wrong with informed discussion, but most of it isn't of that nature, unfortunately.
Deal with it.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1089 upvotes
D-Roc wrote:
May 1st, 2012 9:44 am
Why hasn't Oranr commented on this topic yet? I assume he has seen it.

I direct messaged him in March about the same issue. This thread has been open long enough to give him or the mods a chance to comment. This was his reply in March.
oranr wrote:Hey Ojam,

Your link didn't send me anywhere, which user are you referring too? In the coming weeks we will going back to the strict no political thread policy as over the 2-4 months that I have kinda allowed them, there has been no real valued added to OT. It has created a combative, negative posting environment.

Cheers,
oranr
It seemed like they were seeing what we are seeing. I wonder if the above change has just taken longer than expected, or if something else has changed.

*My link was to Dearsummer's posting history.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1089 upvotes
How is AV-Fishing's avatar not political?

members/av-fishing-187002/

Threads are being derailed because of it. Originally the point of no political discussion was because it was crossing over into other sections. I've reported the user and the off thread topic posts days ago but they are still there.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
I hear you loud and clear. There pros and cons to both sides and I am trying to determine what's best for the community. I do believe there is good discussion out of some political threads but of course this only happens when everyone discusses in a rational, respectful manner. Of course there are those who try to derail, start a flame war, which destroys all the good discussions that we are trying to have here.

We are looking to expand our moderation team and I hope that will help in the OT section. Again, I am still in the wait and see but not for much longer. I have given it a share shot but page views and posts/threads really haven't increased as I hoped. I know I told Ojam 2-4 weeks but I was hoping that it would get better, I guess i'm just wishing and hoping now.

I do like big political issues, like provincial elections and federal elections we can discuss about but I think that will be the line.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
oranr wrote:
May 4th, 2012 4:36 pm
I hear you loud and clear. There pros and cons to both sides and I am trying to determine what's best for the community. I do believe there is good discussion out of some political threads but of course this only happens when everyone discusses in a rational, respectful manner. Of course there are those who try to derail, start a flame war, which destroys all the good discussions that we are trying to have here.

We are looking to expand our moderation team and I hope that will help in the OT section. Again, I am still in the wait and see but not for much longer. I have given it a share shot but page views and posts/threads really haven't increased as I hoped. I know I told Ojam 2-4 weeks but I was hoping that it would get better, I guess i'm just wishing and hoping now.

I do like big political issues, like provincial elections and federal elections we can discuss about but I think that will be the line.

I look forward to the day you decide on this. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1089 upvotes
Were the official rules changed since I posted the quote on the first page? It's not there anymore but there is no indication of there being any recent changes?

Another Dearsummer political thread

big-tdsb-cuts-coming-1176327/
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
How about people with politically motivated avatars and signatures?
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote:
May 15th, 2012 8:38 pm
How about people with politically motivated avatars and signatures?
If you see anyone with a political motivated avatar or signature, please report them to a mod or myself. This is not allowed as its a violation of our policies.

Thanks
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1089 upvotes
oranr wrote:
May 16th, 2012 10:41 am
If you see anyone with a political motivated avatar or signature, please report them to a mod or myself. This is not allowed as its a violation of our policies.

Thanks

Please see AV-Fishing's sig
The Republic of China (aka Taiwan) is the ONLY TRUE China. Proud to be a Canadian-born Taiwanese.
I think that would now be two violations now, his original avatar and now his signature...
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
oranr wrote:
May 16th, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks

I reported one a few days ago, no change since then. Please see Ojam's post above.
Deal with it.