Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1695 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto

Politics in Off-Topic

I posted this in Off-Topic in the thread about the Canada 150 Rink on Parliament Hill:

rotjong wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 5:39 pm
A 5.6 million dollar skating rink on parliament hill, Are they Nuts? What in the world are these liberals thinking , spend the money on something more usefull like lower our taxes, help communities, and so on.
You people really need to take off those political blinders and just try to ENJOY life for a tiny fraction of your goddamn "miserable" lives (ie. during the term whenever the political party you didn't vote for is in power.) This is part of the finale of the year-long Canada 150 celebrations - you know, this country's BIRTHDAY party for itself. Skating & hockey is probably one of Canada's most cherished traditions and having a skating rink on Parliament is a fantastic celebration of who Canadians are. To turn this into another Liberal/Conservative/NDP political bashing event is a disgraceful indictment of the pathetic decline of the Off Topic forum on RFD.
Shaner wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:25 pm
Still a waste of money though. Surely a rural community could have benefit with a permanent arena that wouldn't have cost much more, but then again, that stuff doesn't buy votes. Rural areas don't vote Liberal so they have no reason to pump any money into those areas
Again, this is part of the closing ceremonies for the year-long Canada 150 birthday celebration. This has nothing to do with vote-buying and it's a shame that a forum moderator is fanning the political flames on OT (and yes I understand that you're speaking as a general member with only a personal opinion, but nevertheless, the title "Moderator" is still front and center of that post.) And an undisclosed Canadian community WILL benefit from this arena - as the article says, part of the cost is moving it permanently as a donation.

Fact is: 40,000 people will get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to free-skate at Parliament Hill and 32 CANADIAN peewee teams will get a chance to win a trip to Ottawa and participate in the Bell Capital Cup and play one game on this rink. But only on RFD will people try to piss on a great feel-good event that unites ALL CANADIANS and degenerate it into another partisanship bickering thread.
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1695 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
I've said this before, but RFD really needs to reconsider allowing political "discussions" in Off Topic. There is no positive outcome - threads goes in circles, both sides argue OVER each other, troll posts and baiting, etc. Is it really worth it for RFD to have those extra clicks with all the vitriol and hate that comes inevitably with every one of those threads? In another thread, I made a joke about the new mod Titaniumtux being thrown at the wolves in OT as a hazing, but it's really not that far off.

This Canada 150 Rink thread really set me off. It stuns me (an my wife that saw the thread first while browsing) that somehow a uplifting story of having a ice rink on Parliament Hill to close out the 150 celebrations can be twisted into just another partisanship bashing thread. Seriously, this is something any CANADIAN can come to Ottawa to enjoy and partake, yet any visitor to RFD will only see more of the same old politics that ruins the joy of RFD.
Last edited by akira1971 on Nov 24th, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1695 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
And I don't mean to criticize Shaner either. While I may mostly agree with his posts, I just feel (as probably most RFD members do) that what moderators posts carry a little more weight. It's hard to separate Shaner, the RFD member vs Shaner, the RFD moderator. Maybe have separate accounts where the "Mod" account only posts for RFD business and then a personal account for regular interaction within the community?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3712 posts
458 upvotes
well ... lets just say that "Off-Topic" is not a "safe space" and yes it gets out of hand from time to time , but IMHO moderators are in "general" a bit to fast and to strict ...

about the moderators ... I prefer Shaner and Titaniumtux (giving their opinions) more then others working in a "stealth mode" like dancing on distant planet Winking Face
Sep 30, 2001
26510 posts
5475 upvotes
Toronto
akira1971 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:27 am
I've said this before, but RFD really needs to reconsider allowing political "discussions" in Off Topic. There is no positive outcome - threads goes in circles, both sides argue OVER each other, troll posts and baiting, etc.
there is an alternative. just skip the political threads, place people you disagree with on ignore, or better yet visit the other parts of this site.

As a general observation, you talk about vitriol, and yet you're telling people you disagree with about their 'miserable' lives. how does that help matters?

As for mods, we're people with opinions too. Why shouldn't we able to express them? Simply because you disagree with their position doesn't make it right to muzzle them.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3712 posts
458 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 11:16 am
there is an alternative. just skip the political threads, place people you disagree with on ignore, or better yet visit the other parts of this site.

As a general observation, you talk about vitriol, and yet you're telling people you disagree with about their 'miserable' lives. how does that help matters?

As for mods, we're people with opinions too. Why shouldn't we able to express them? Simply because you disagree with their position doesn't make it right to muzzle them.
+1 ... MrDisco pls speak up more in the "Off-Topic" ...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1695 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
I've been on RFD for 10+ years and I do care about this site too. For my wife to accidentally wander into that thread (and some others on OT before) and see that crap going around is an embarrassment. She's had some house-related questions last year and I encouraged her to sign up and post in our H&G forum, but she has straight out said she wouldn't want to join RFD because of all the "shouting" she had seen. Yes, it's only one anedote, but how many RFD lurkers have also been turned off? As a long-time member, I'd like to see this place continue to succeed and thrive. Ignoring and pretending the political/religious bickering doesn't exist is not an option if I'm to be part of the RFD community.
MrDisco wrote:
That wasn't the whole statement, as I put the word "miserable" specifically in quotes to point out sarcastically that it's only when their non-favorite political party is in power that the 'sky is falling'. This obviously applies to all political posts ie when Harper was in power it was anti-conservative hate and now with Trudeau in power, it's all anti-liberal hate. Point is, their life is in reality not miserable and all these gross-exaggeration political potshots from both sides just devalue RFD and make it an unwelcoming experience. And that's the problem with partisanship politics as it's not a real discussion but just yelling over each other.
MrDisco wrote:
At no point am I advocating the "muzzling" of mods. I'm just suggesting RFD create a new account for any new moderator to do normal RFD-only business while maintaining their regular RFD account for contributions as a regular member. Fact is, when your name appears differently in neon green and have the title of 'Moderator', your personal opinions carries a little more weight around here in every post and certain members would never get into an debate with a mod.
Sep 30, 2001
26510 posts
5475 upvotes
Toronto
akira1971 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:31 pm
For my wife to accidentally wander into that thread (and some others on OT before) and see that crap going around is an embarrassment.
There has to be a balance between letting people debate opinions, and protecting others from their sensibilities. Nearly everything that is discussed in OT are topics that you'll find on AM talk radio. Would you advocate banning those stations? No the more sensible option is to simply change the channel. In this day and age having a degree of thicker skin is needed if someone is going to participate in an anonymous online discussion.
akira1971 wrote:
That wasn't the whole statement...
Yes but you see everyone has their own justifications for posting the way they do. Being rude in that matter does not help in bringing civility to a discussion. Right now we have reports in our queue against your post because people didn't like what you posted. Should I ignore them? Edit your post? Delete your post? Give you a warning? You tell me what the proper course of action should be.
akira1971 wrote:
At no point am I advocating the "muzzling" of mods. I'm just suggesting RFD create a new account for any new moderator to do normal RFD-only business while maintaining their regular RFD account for contributions as a regular member. Fact is, when your name appears differently in neon green and have the title of 'Moderator', your personal opinions carries a little more weight around here in every post and certain members would never get into an debate with a mod.
Having to login and logout every time I want to make a comment isn't going to happen. We're not employees of RFD and we don't represent the company. So long as our views follow forum rules there is no reason people can't have a discussion. And really how much of an issue is this? My anecdotal observations is that the mods as a whole rarely participate in OT and if they do it's only for a few back and forth posts.

edit: at any rate your concerns are not being ignored. changes to OT will probably come in the new year after the holiday shopping season is over. i don't have any details, but i'm sure the Admin staff will share once they decide on how they want to proceed. I should also point out these are just my opinions and not an official statement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1695 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:53 pm
There has to be a balance between letting people debate opinions, and protecting others from their sensibilities.
I have no problem if RFD allows members to discuss the merits of political issues of the day. That's normal everyday stuff. However, when party politics gets involved is what drags down every conversation. And that inevitably leads to the usual taunts like: leftist, rightard, Lieberals, snowflakes, Selfie PM/boy, triggered, etc.
MrDisco wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:53 pm
Yes but you see everyone has their own justifications for posting the way they do. Being rude in that matter does not help in bringing civility to a discussion. Right now we have reports in our queue against your post because people didn't like what you posted. Should I ignore them? Edit your post? Delete your post? Give you a warning? You tell me what the proper course of action should be.
I'm fine with whatever course RFD mods feels appropriate. If I crossed the line somewhere, then I probably did cross the line. What sounded like good, dripping sarcasm (about the "miserable" lives) in my head probably didn't come out that way at 2 o'clock in the morning. However, the point still stands that partisan politics is, in my opinion, destroying the fun of OT.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4929 posts
773 upvotes
Shaner and titantiumtux are pretty unbiased mods as far as this--or any other--forum's standards go.

I'm not sure how your mudslinging at RFD general members, or mods who voice their opinions, is supposed to support the positive.

I also think the Parliament Hill skating rink is a waste of money but I just didn't feel strongly enough to express it.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10471 posts
12850 upvotes
Montreal
Here's a simpler idea .......close Off-Topic . This is a commercial deals website .
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2341 posts
151 upvotes
Now if only we could all learn to be extra nice to other in OT we wouldn't be having this problem. :T