Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: The politics rule is getting out of hand

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2012 9:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes

The politics rule is getting out of hand

This is considered politics? This is so loosely based on politics that it isn't even really politics. It's more about whether the right to strike is being eroded.
back-work-legislation-cp-1183858/

There's also this one
should-markham-become-city-1182782/

The latter is the one I'm really struggling with. If that's politics and can't be talked about, then any mention of any town, city, province, etc. is also politics and should be banned. Of course I don't want that to happen, I'm saying it to prove my point. That is no more politics than a thread about Toronto getting a new restaurant.

I don't mean to call you out Mr Perfect, you're just applying the rules as they're written and you just happen to be the guy who locked those threads, but I think this is getting out of hand. It's clear that political and religious discussions are banned and no matter what I say they're going to stay banned. That's fine, but lets not lock every single thread that is very loosely based on some form of politics. Lets use a little common sense and a little discretion to determine what is political in nature, rather than just loosely based on politics.

Political talk is banned, but why ban subjects based on politics? That may seem like the same thing, but it's not if you think about it. Any mention of a city, town, province, etc. is loosely based on politics but isn't necessarily political in nature. Any mention of any crown corporation, public service workers, taxes, etc. is based on politics, but not necessarily political.
Share:
100 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
10060 posts
624 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm b4 they say they will consider it at their next meeting and lock this thread.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes
Tijuana wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 11:37 am
I'm b4 they say they will consider it at their next meeting and lock this thread.

When I make suggestions, I never expect them to implemented or even considered. If they are, great, but I don't expect it. I'm just the type of person that likes to speak my mind. I said what I had to say and that's all I can do.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
10060 posts
624 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaner wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 11:40 am
When I make suggestions, I never expect them to implemented or even considered. If they are, great, but I don't expect it. I'm just the type of person that likes to speak my mind. I said what I had to say and that's all I can do.

Yours isn't so much of a suggestion rather showing them how flawed and unrealistic their new rule is.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
This type of "zero tolerence" for political / political-ish type threads is what is needed. May be heavy handed, but when they gave an inch, members took a mile. This is the only way to to clean up OT.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1737 upvotes
Shaner, Im just doing my job man. :rolleyes:
The threads in question was reported by several other as political.
If I make an exception for one then its not fair to others. Its upto the Admin to look deeper into this issue and follow up if required -- however at this time Im simply following the orders, just as you do at your penitentry.

Thanks for understanding our situation. We are trying to be level headed as much as possible. We are removing questionable content instead of locking threads. However a few outright political threads have no room for edition or further debate and warrants immediate closure as per the rules. No infractions was issued to anyone, infact all threads were closed with a reason left to the OP. :o

Thats all I can say for now my friend.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes
mrperfect wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 12:17 pm
Shaner, Im just doing my job man. :rolleyes:
The threads in question was reported by several other as political.
If I make an exception for one then its not fair to others. Its upto the Admin to look deeper into this issue and follow up if required -- however at this time Im simply following the orders, just as you do at your penitentry.

Thanks for understanding our situation. We are trying to be level headed as much as possible. We are removing questionable content instead of locking threads. However a few outright political threads have no room for edition or further debate and warrants immediate closure as per the rules. No infractions was issued to anyone, infact all threads were closed with a reason left to the OP. :o

Thats all I can say for now my friend.

I tried to make it clear that I'm not targeting you. I know you just happened to be the mod that closed those specific threads and it could have just as easily been any of the other mods. Although I do take issue with you locking the threads because several people reported them. So what if 100 people reported them, just because people report something doesn't mean it's worthy of being locked.

Trying to be level headed? There's nothing level headed about locking those threads, especially the Mississauga one. That's not questionable or political in nature. You wouldn't be making an exception by leaving those threads open as there's absolutely no reason to close them.

Again I'm not targeting you although it appears you've already taken it personally, so since you've responded I will ask you this. Would the other mods have also closed those threads? If yes, then so be it, but if not, then just perhaps you guys should all get on the same page.

Once again, I'm not questioning you specifically, I'm questioning the rule and how it's gotten completely out of hand.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4709 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Out of curiosity, WHY are political threads banned at all? They seem to generally lead to the most interesting and entertaining debates of all. Sure they may get a bit heated from time to time, but this is the internet - why does that matter?
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes
D-Roc wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 12:04 pm
This type of "zero tolerence" for political / political-ish type threads is what is needed. May be heavy handed, but when they gave an inch, members took a mile. This is the only way to to clean up OT.

Really, we need to clean up OT from talking about whether Mississauga should be a city or not? Really, that's what is the root problem of OT? That thread is so political and emotionally charged that new rules had to be created to close threads exactly like that one?

Life isn't black and white, there is grey mixed in there too.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
985 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
While I actually agree with you Shaner, as others have said its the give an inch take a mile problem. Until such a time that we can trust threads not to derail and spiral out of control (and we are far far away from that trust imo), we need to be stricter than would otherwise be necessary.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 12:35 pm
While I actually agree with you Shaner, as others have said its the give an inch take a mile problem. Until such a time that we can trust threads not to derail and spiral out of control (and we are far far away from that trust imo), we need to be stricter than would otherwise be necessary.

I get that completely. Like I said, I disagree with the new stance, but I get why it's being done. My issue is those two threads aren't the type of threads that are going to spiral out of control, especially the Mississauga one. How on earth is that worthy of being locked? I would stop questioning it immediately if someone could just explain to me how that thread is deserving of being locked under the new rules? How is that going to spiral out of control? The subject is about the city itself, not about politics. So is any and all talk about a city, province, country etc. now political? If so, I expect every single thread that mentions any place to be locked because it's just as political as that Mississauga one. What about talk about that aquarium coming to Toronto, that's political. Any talk about any festivals in Toronto, political. That TTC thread currently in OT, it should be locked immediately. Any talk about Canada Day, 4th of July, Christmas, New years, all political. I expect 95% of threads to be locked from now on. That thread in the travel forum about Mexico being a dangerous place to travel to, that's political, it should be locked. I can go on for hours and hours...

You guys aren't giving an inch by leaving such threads open, because there's no reason to lock threads like that in the first place.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23703 posts
3211 upvotes
These are all extremely loosely based on politics and should be locked

royalties-gone-mad-get-ready-pay-more-m ... t-1184040/
teacher-edmonton-suspended-giving-zeros-1183774/
body-parts-being-deilivered-tory-head-office-1182857/ (hell, this is as close to politics as you can get)
new-all-purpose-ttc-thread-ask-question ... s-1183691/ (If Canada Post is politics, so is TTC).
cop-takes-heat-arresting-off-duty-officer-1182788/
anyone-know-have-knowledge-about-canadi ... s-1183658/
generation-fat-1182625/
pipe-bomb-found-brampton-church-wow-1182676/ (religion and politics)

Hopefully all those get locked too as they're all just as much political as that Mississauga one is.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2955 posts
85 upvotes
East York
I haven't thought this out but maybe the only threads that should get locked when it comes to politics are the ones that directly deal with political parties like the ones Hitman21 and Dearsummer used to make....


They usually just turn a thread of people bashing the conservatives or liberals.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
985 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Shaner wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 12:49 pm
I get that completely. Like I said, I disagree with the new stance, but I get why it's being done. My issue is those two threads aren't the type of threads that are going to spiral out of control, especially the Mississauga one. How on earth is that worthy of being locked? I would stop questioning it immediately if someone could just explain to me how that thread is deserving of being locked under the new rules? How is that going to spiral out of control? The subject is about the city itself, not about politics. So is any and all talk about a city, province, country etc. now political? If so, I expect every single thread that mentions any place to be locked because it's just as political as that Mississauga one. What about talk about that aquarium coming to Toronto, that's political. Any talk about any festivals in Toronto, political. That TTC thread currently in OT, it should be locked immediately. Any talk about Canada Day, 4th of July, Christmas, New years, all political. I expect 95% of threads to be locked from now on. That thread in the travel forum about Mexico being a dangerous place to travel to, that's political, it should be locked. I can go on for hours and hours...

You guys aren't giving an inch by leaving such threads open, because there's no reason to lock threads like that in the first place.

Shaner, I challenge you to find a subject or topic that they cant try to derail lol. But I do get your point.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2011
9032 posts
14169 upvotes
It does seem that the pendulum had to swing as it was more heat than intellectual exploration.

It is not clear what it will take to reestablish trust or what that trust is defined as, but EofC implied that the pendulum may "settle in the middle" eventually.

Pendulum - that is a sneaky way of saying it was too liberal and now it is too conservative.
EofC - that is a sneaky way of avoiding spelling a long name incorrectly.
:D - this is how I wish all a really great weekend, it seems that many of us have been under a lot of stress with the new changes AND we will survive.

Top