• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2012 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1094 upvotes
I think there should be an instant perma ban for anybody who blaintenly breaks this rule. Just look at the eaton centre thread, one user has repeatly tried to bring up anti fun control politics. You have to agree to the rules before you post, but then they are breaking it anyway.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3008 posts
110 upvotes
East York
I wholeheartedly agree I've reported "said" user multiple times too....Someone needs to step in and make it clear that it won't be tolerated..
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 5:18 pm
I think there should be an instant perma ban for anybody who blaintenly breaks this rule. Just look at the eaton centre thread, one user has repeatly tried to bring up anti fun control politics. You have to agree to the rules before you post, but then they are breaking it anyway.

Is that politics though, if it isn't tied to any political entity (e.g. he's not saying vote for X because he's tough on crime)? According to the rules, are we allowed to debate whether people should or should not be allowed to have guns? I'm honestly asking because I, like many others, don't know where the line is on this. I get the impression that in some cases, people are using this to their advantage, e.g. if they don't like someone's opinion, report him for talking politics.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3008 posts
110 upvotes
East York
Manatus wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 5:32 pm
Is that politics though, if it isn't tied to any political entity (e.g. he's not saying vote for X because he's tough on crime)? According to the rules, are we allowed to debate whether people should or should not be allowed to have guns? I'm honestly asking because I, like many others, don't know where the line is on this. I get the impression that in some cases, people are using this to their advantage, e.g. if they don't like someone's opinion, report him for talking politics.

Why do people need to debate guns in the Eaton centre thread? Take it somewhere else/create a thread and by the replies so far it's just turned into a troll fest and people trying to push their agenda....

The focus should be on the victims/suspect - not whether someone thinks the Eaton centre is ghetto or that the gun laws suck..
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 5:32 pm

Anecdotaly, no one has a problem with debating guns. But in a thread about an event at a mall, it derails the thread from it's original purpose rather than contributes to it.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
If RFD wants to address something, I'd say take a look at some of posters' fixation on the macabre. There have been some pretty gruesome threads on here about kids getting run over, body parts being mailed, and people falling off hang gliders to their death. The thread usually starts off with a news story, but digresses into references of shocking video footage that anyone can easily find online. I'd rather see incidences of these sorts of posts decreased, rather than censorsing some people's animated views on progressivism vs. conservatism.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 5:36 pm

The focus should be on the victims/suspect - not whether someone thinks the Eaton centre is ghetto or that the gun laws suck..

Why should the focus be on the victims/suspect, rather then guns or the mall itself? Why is one more relevant than the other?
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
45ED wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 6:07 pm
Anecdotaly, no one has a problem with debating guns. But in a thread about an event at a mall, it derails the thread from it's original purpose rather than contributes to it.

Threads evolve, that always happens. Talking about guns in a thread about a shooting is perfectly relevant and is not derailing it. You can only talk about the actual shooting for so long before the thread will evolve.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 5:21 pm
I wholeheartedly agree I've reported "said" user multiple times too....Someone needs to step in and make it clear that it won't be tolerated..

What if it was talking about how there needs to be stricter gun laws or handguns should be banned, would that be okay then? I bet you wouldn't have reported those threads. This is why the new rule is such a bloody joke. People report posts they dont' agree with, and certain mod(s) simply just lock any thread that gets a certain number of reports rather than locking those worthy of being locked and leaving those open that are worthy of being left open.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3008 posts
110 upvotes
East York
Shaner wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 6:36 pm
What if it was talking about how there needs to be stricter gun laws or handguns should be banned, would that be okay then? I bet you wouldn't have reported those threads. This is why the new rule is such a bloody joke. People report posts they dont' agree with, and certain mod(s) simply just lock any thread that gets a certain number of reports rather than locking those worthy of being locked and leaving those open that are worthy of being left open.

Talking about stricter gun laws is fine and all IMO but has no place in a thread like the Eaton centre one. The people that kept bringing it up weren't even discussing it, it was bickering and trolling and ridiculous, more then one mod and a lot of users agreed so the mods stepped in...If people think something is a joke they can leave....

It is rather simple. If the mods feel something is worth mod-ing they will, doesn't matter if people report it or not, reporting it just helps them see posts that are questionable quicker....
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 6:47 pm
Talking about stricter gun laws is fine and all IMO but has no place in a thread like the Eaton centre one. The people that kept bringing it up weren't even discussing it, it was bickering and trolling and ridiculous, more then one mod and a lot of users agreed so the mods stepped in...If people think something is a joke they can leave....

It is rather simple. If the mods feel something is worth mod-ing they will, doesn't matter if people report it or not, reporting it just helps them see posts that are questionable quicker....

Exactly.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Shaner wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 6:36 pm

Frankly Shaner, I am offended that you seem to think all the mods are nothing but robots and no critical thinking skills of their own. There are plenty of multiple reports every single day that result in nothing happening.... Because there were no rules broken! We all look at each and every reported post on it's own merit. If rules are broken, we respond accordingly.

I get that you don't like the no politics rule and like to participate in certain kinds of threads. But you can thank those that can't follow the rules for the changes. A knock down gun control "debate" (used loosely because it wasn't) is derailing to the thread IMO and many called them out on it resulting in lots of bickering in the thread...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
You two apparently aren't paying attention. One mod already stated he locked several threads solely because they received several reports.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 7:00 pm
Frankly Shaner, I am offended that you seem to think all the mods are nothing but robots and no critical thinking skills of their own. There are plenty of multiple reports every single day that result in nothing happening.... Because there were no rules broken! We all look at each and every reported post on it's own merit. If rules are broken, we respond accordingly.

I get that you don't like the no politics rule and like to participate in certain kinds of threads. But you can thank those that can't follow the rules for the changes. A knock down gun control "debate" (used loosely because it wasn't) is derailing to the thread IMO and many called them out on it resulting in lots of bickering in the thread...

I don't think all mods are robots without critical thinking skills. I happen to think certain mods do a great job on this site and I've said so many times.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3008 posts
110 upvotes
East York
It's funny how people can't follow the rules in the eaton centre thread and keep derailing the thread complaining about the mods and then COMPLAIN on top of that when there posts are deleted....Like they have the right to do whatever they want and get away with it.

Logic doesn't exist in off topic....