None
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10372 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
akira1971 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 4:30 pm
Although I'm not a mod, I definitely can see a difference in the two threads. In most Remembrance Day threads I've read, the discussion centers mostly around the historical aspects. I'm sure the mods would jump in if members derailed it to the politics of war or certain government policies towards war. Whereas the Tiananmen thread, the OP already started to make a political statement (ie. "one day the truth will come out") and the thread would likely follow that line down towards government policies.

That's not a political statement. The incident was not well documented and that is a fact. There's nothing political about what he said. How about I go make another Tiananmen Square thread without that statement? Can mods guarantee not to lock it right off the bat?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10372 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 4:29 pm
PM Oranr and I'm sure you'll get a prompt answer within a reasonable time explaining what happened.

Oranr monitors this thread and have posted replies to other members. I'll just wait for his response here.
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
74 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 12:51 pm
Edit: In fact, looking back through the Eaton Centre thread, I believe that a user did end up getting banned for posting about politics (gun control).
That is correct, a user was banned for making some respectful and thoughtful posts with which CSK's Mom did not happen to agree. Google "Stanford prison experiment" to see the behaviour of volunteer guards when they are given authority over others. I think some mods have relatives who were fellow travellers during the Mao period.
May 27, 2007
15686 posts
3113 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 12:51 pm
I'm in the same boat as Shaner. I have no problem with the new rules, but I'd just like to know what they actually are in realistic terms. There are cases in OT (I believe it was the Eaton Centre thread) where a user's post is edited by a mod, and then that mod-edited post is deleted by another mod. I have no problem with the post being either edited or deleted to make the thread conform to the rules, it just feels like there is a lot of inconsistency in a) what the actual rule is, and b) how it will be enforced (e.g. some threatening bans, oranr saying no bans). Furthermore I'd just like to say I don't think Shaner has been treated very fairly, as several mod posts in the thread (where he questioned whether or not something was political) are basically along the lines of "this topic is clearly politics, so either you're a troll or an idiot", as though it's obvious to anyone with any common sense (it isn't) where the line is. Like I said I have no problem with following the rule, I just think it would be helpful to everyone involved to know more clearly what exactly is allowed and what isn't, and how these things are going to be dealt with.

Edit: In fact, looking back through the Eaton Centre thread, I believe that a user did end up getting banned for posting about politics (gun control).
brian.gerson wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 4:38 pm
That is correct, a user was banned for making some respectful and thoughtful posts with which CSK's Mom did not happen to agree. Google "Stanford prison experiment" to see the behaviour of volunteer guards when they are given authority over others. I think some mods have relatives who were fellow travellers during the Mao period.

Uh.. No. That was NOT the reason why the user in question was banned. It had nothing to do with that thread and its deleted posts.

If you really want to know why he/she was banned, feel free to PM the user and ask once the ban is lifted.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12793 posts
2244 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly with the lack of control here and moderators not even doing their job properly, I for one vote that RFD Forums that are not deal related get shut down. What this site needs is a complete overhaul. Some moderators are.... Ok you know what I'm gonna say. I like some moderators and administrators and the job they do but others.... Ugh.

Unless RFD administrators finds a way to get everything under control, as Chef Ramsay would say, "SHUT IT DOWN!!!" and "YOU RUN THE KITCHEN! DON'T LET THE KITCHEN RUN YOU!"

Oh and keep BST.

Sums it up pretty well in my opinion.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30257 posts
2471 upvotes
Winnipeg
you can ignore the rest and only visit those sub-forums, problem solved?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4709 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Everything is fine. You don't like the forums, then don't read them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9375 posts
511 upvotes
Markham
Relax pal, no one said you have to read the other stuff.

I have problems with some of the crap that they're doing here, but seriously? :facepalm:
:lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12793 posts
2244 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The problem is that it's wasting not my time, but everyone's time to deal with these problems. Yea I can skip the bad posts and/or threads. Better yet, skip the entire forum altogether. But mods and admins can't. They have to go through reports, little whiney kids, and posts to make sure everything stays good. If there's a complete overhaul, a lot of problems can be avoided for the administration team and start again. It sometimes takes two steps backwards to take one step forward. With the new rules and everything, it's like taking one step backward and one step forward. Yes things got stricter and slightly better, but in the end, I feel it's not enough.

Why did my thread get merged? It's not even related...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1332 upvotes
brian.gerson wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 4:38 pm

C'mon...that's utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

Give the mods SOME credit for crying out loud.

Members don't get banned simply for making some respectful and thoughtful posts that a mod may not personally agree with.

Members get banned for breaking forum rules - pure and simple.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
Closed for mod bashing, derailment, bickering...can't even have a rational discussion with out it turning into a disaster.

There will be no overhauling of the site or mods, period.

I said this many of times, I know everyone is all excited about the changes we made (some good and some bad) but it's the changes we made and they are here to stay. Everyone needs to relax and carry on...

Like or don't, it's not for me to say but I expect everyone to abide by the new rules and post within them.

Calling out mods, is not productive and will not be tolerated going forward. There will be a policy to reflect this. I didn't want it to go this way but you guys forced my hand. There is a proper escalation process and you must use it. Anything else will be removed.

I've been pretty lenient when it came to questioning the mods in the past but since it can't be done in a respectful, non jerkish way, everyone has lost all mod questioning ability.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD