Home & Garden

poll: Can a cat kill a rat?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2006 3:52 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Can a cat kill a rat?

• Total votes: 46. You have voted on this poll.
yes

91%
no

9%

Poll ended at Jun 22nd, 2006 1:00 pm

Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal

poll: Can a cat kill a rat?

Hi,

My MIL recently saw a rat crawl right up her stairs into her kitchen. I read all about mousetraps on the RFD forums and read about how good cats are at catching mice. She called and exterminator and has 13 traps all over her house.

I never owned a cat but my MIL has an outdoor cat that has killed mice before. My question is this....Can a cat kill a rat?

ps. i wanted to make a poll but i don't know if i'm doing this right.......
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
No way, unless maybe it's a feral, already very street-tough cat, and even then...

Rats are tough little bastards, fast and strong, they would easily kill any domestic house cat.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
My jack russells kill rats from time to time. :lol: The outdoor cat might kill the rat, it depends on the cat though. Our indoor/outdoor cat we had on the farm would kill rats but the feral cat that moved into the barn wouldn't touch them...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1578 posts
131 upvotes
Hampton
If you have seen one there are probably several more. I have had cats who have killed rats, but poison is the only real answer if you have rats (forget traps - rats are extremely cunning and have an amazing ability to find their way round traps).

I would be more concerned about having poison bait outside than inside - rats like wet covered areas - do you have a ditch that has vegetation that is not cut back or an area of brush that is uncleared?
[OP]
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
the neighbor has not cut their backyard lawn in years......
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
brute33 wrote:my MIL has an outdoor cat that has killed mice before. My question is this....Can a cat kill a rat?
Yes. Don't feed the cat too much food. It'll be on the hunt. But be sure that the cat isn't de-clawed and big enough. Kittens aren't too good fighting rats.
Banned
Feb 11, 2006
1976 posts
Two words: Cage Match!
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and, war is the terrorism of the rich" -- Peter Ustinov
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
you can try putting buckets half-filled with cold water around the house

the rat will climb into the bucket to drink the water and then drown when it can't get out

it works for mice- dunno if it will work for rats

put a piece of wood or cardboard against the pail so that the rodent has a ladder to climb up the pail

optional-
put some soap or oil in the water

put a little tray of food on the water
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:...Rats are tough little bastards, fast and strong, they would easily kill any domestic house cat.
Sorry, but a hungry cat is a killing machine. Yes, there ARE big rats that might find your average house cat relatively easy to beat up on, but average cat vs. average rat = easy cat victory.

My old part persian housecat with no front claws killed anything and everything when it was in the mood. Rats, rabbits, immature groundhogs, snakes, and even once a red tailed hawk. We had just sent Eight Ball outside, saw the hawk circling and then dive avec lots of screaming, and we all went silent, thinking the cat was dead. About an hour later, Eight Ball drags one dead hawk up on to the deck and was the proudest thing I've ever seen for days.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1578 posts
131 upvotes
Hampton
Your only problem with the cat approach is if you have a cat that prefers to play with its prey rather than kill it. A few years ago we woke up to a room containing 3 small rabbits, which the cat had bought in for fun. Thankfully it never bought a rat in for a tea party...
Feb 6, 2004
33 posts
deep wrote:Sorry, but a hungry cat is a killing machine. Yes, there ARE big rats that might find your average house cat relatively easy to beat up on, but average cat vs. average rat = easy cat victory.

My old part persian housecat with no front claws killed anything and everything when it was in the mood. Rats, rabbits, immature groundhogs, snakes, and even once a red tailed hawk. We had just sent Eight Ball outside, saw the hawk circling and then dive avec lots of screaming, and we all went silent, thinking the cat was dead. About an hour later, Eight Ball drags one dead hawk up on to the deck and was the proudest thing I've ever seen for days.

awsome!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
brute33 wrote:the neighbor has not cut their backyard lawn in years......
That will not necessarily keep rats around. Rats will only stay in the area if there is a food source. Is there an open compost heap, or other household garbage/food stuffs outside in a neighbouring lot?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
An ordinary tabby can clear a wall five times its own height in one easy leap. Domestic cats can weigh up to 40lb, and reach 30mph. They can seemingly survive for weeks without eating, and fall from high buildings and land on their feet. They also kill birds, slaughter rats and terrorise dogs. And now, a fearless feline has made history by picking a fight with a bear.
The 10-year-old ginger tom, which weighed about 15lb, took umbrage when a 15-stone black bear wandered out of the woods into a garden in West Milford, New Jersey, and attacked with enough ferocity to send the bear scuttling up a garden tree. Veterinary scientists, wildlife experts and cat lovers were not particularly surprised: Felis sylvestris catus has been domesticated for at least 7,000 years, and routinely spends 16 hours a day sleeping in the sunshine or in the warmest corner of the house, but it remains the personification of violence.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4705 posts
4639 upvotes
Toronto
When I was a wee lad, my cat brought in weasels it had caught, every now and then... And rabbits, and snakes... She caught a lot of stuff, very impressive given that one of her front paws was a one-clawed remnant of a lawnmower accident.
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
10229 posts
3084 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
My neighbor's Siamese cat would bring in earth worms it caught and deposit them on the woman's pillow while she was sleeping. A nice surprise when she woke up :lol:
× < >