Personal Finance

Poll: No Fee CC Review

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2005 12:48 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Why didn't you listen?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes

Poll: No Fee CC Review

I'm seeing the review on RFD for no fee cc's had limited affect on most of you. Some didn't bother to read it, some stayed with the bad cards, some went to better cards, almost no one took the recommened starwood card except me. Why?
Some of you still think Cibc is 1% return lol.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
philelmo wrote:I'm seeing the review on RFD for no fee cc's had limited affect on most of you. Some didn't bother to read it, some stayed with the bad cards, some went to better cards, almost no one took the recommened starwood card except me. Why?
Some of you still think Cibc is 1% return lol.
well i don't stay at starwood hotels or stay at hotels so it doesn't make sense to go wtih that card despit the THE AMAZING benefits!
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
flito ray wrote:well i don't stay at starwood hotels or stay at hotels so it doesn't make sense to go wtih that card despit the THE AMAZING benefits!
you didn't vote!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
I did not get starwood because I don't travel much and I like cash more.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
I didn't get Starwood because my colleagues had major problems dealing with MBNA.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2692 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I guess "It made me switch to a better card but not starwood" applies to me, but I wouldn't call it a switch, rather just getting another card
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
fav card is the enrich mastercard. thinking of getting the ultramar. anyone know if the ultramar tiers are calculated based on calendar year? or does the year start from the day you get the card???
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2003
3706 posts
12 upvotes
I just applied for Ultramar. No idea if it's per calendar year or based on when you get the card, but even if it is calendar year it's almost the year end now; it will take a few weeks to process the request and get the card; so it's not a big deal.

I read the no-fee card article and it's a good one. I did finally select Ultramar over Starwood since I like more cold hard cash then the promise of free trips and stay in luxury hotels - I rarely travel.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
10 upvotes
Dose.ca magazine recently called MBNA one of the best places to work in Canada. No review was given about their customer service though.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
sparkplug wrote:Dose.ca magazine recently called MBNA one of the best places to work in Canada. No review was given about their customer service though.
I've had no problems whatsoever and their customer service is good to me. The only downside is no electronic banking, but I can survive that. I've been with them for 5 years now.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
philelmo wrote: Some of you still think Cibc is 1% return lol.
You know what the difference between the CIBC return and the CitiEnrich return is, prior to the $3000 tier where the CIBC return becomes 1%? You lose a whopping $18.75. I haven't switched because it's worth it to me because I have a long, good relationship with CIBC which gets me better savings than that over time, besides the hassle of having to deal with another bank. Having my chequing and CC accounts at the same bank helps with payments, plus I get the nice internet banking interface so I can check all of my accounts in one place. Easily worth the $18.75.
Aug 4, 2004
675 posts
I was on their mailing list (never signed up for it), They literally called me everyweek to ask whether i want their services, (after repeated attempts of me calling in to ask them to stop).

You get spammed for life once you sign up with them.

And yes no electronic banking, and they send your bill 2 days before it is due. Im just not into them. Althought it is a good card.

I almost switched but I found out you can't transfer the points to aeroplan.
philelmo wrote:I've had no problems whatsoever and their customer service is good to me. The only downside is no electronic banking, but I can survive that. I've been with them for 5 years now.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
TheDude79 wrote:You know what the difference between the CIBC return and the CitiEnrich return is, prior to the $3000 tier where the CIBC return becomes 1%? You lose a whopping $18.75. I haven't switched because it's worth it to me because I have a long, good relationship with CIBC which gets me better savings than that over time, besides the hassle of having to deal with another bank. Having my chequing and CC accounts at the same bank helps with payments, plus I get the nice internet banking interface so I can check all of my accounts in one place. Easily worth the $18.75.
I also have long good relationship with CIBC for over 20 years. All my bank account, mortgage, loan are all through them ... but ... I never apply for their credit card because frankly speaking their credit card is not attractive at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
yjxiao wrote:I was on their mailing list (never signed up for it), They literally called me everyweek to ask whether i want their services, (after repeated attempts of me calling in to ask them to stop).
You get spammed for life once you sign up with them.
And yes no electronic banking, and they send your bill 2 days before it is due. Im just not into them. Althought it is a good card.
I almost switched but I found out you can't transfer the points to aeroplan.
Yeah I agree, prior to sigining with MBNA, I hated their marketing system. To be honest, I signed up by accident. I was young and dumb and never heard of them. But they called me and said "Bank of Canada", I actually thought the Bank of Canada was a bank, lol. My GF was saying "you're so dumb giving people your SIN number when you don't know who they are!

Since then I've been a happy customer. Haven't received any extra marketing. Haven't gotten into trouble with bills being late yet. Yeah, the aeroplan is unfortunate. I believe someone mentioned Starwood>Luftansa>Aeroplan?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1103 posts
yup
their marketing sucks,
i signed up by accident too.
when i got the card, i called them up and said to cancel that thing right away.
THey asked why, I said Pressured sales tactics and you tricked me!
Told them to take me off their phone lists too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)