Sports & Recreation

Locked: ** POLL OVER - Kawhi signs with Clippers!! **

Poll: Will Kawhi re-sign with Raptors for 2019/2020+ season??

• Total votes: 209. You have voted on this poll.
Yes - he we will re-sign with Raptors

55%
No - He is "One and Done" and going to a new team next year and I will be HAPPY for him.

38%
No - He is "One and Done" and going to a new team next year and I will be UPSET that he leaves us.

8%

Poll ended at Jun 15th, 2019 11:10 am

[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
766 posts
810 upvotes

** POLL OVER - Kawhi signs with Clippers!! **

unfortunately he is indeed “One-and-Done”.
Final tally...
55% thought he stays
45% thought he GONE
Last edited by Bebo123 on Jul 6th, 2019 10:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
Share:
477 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2888 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
I really hope he stays, but suspect he will move on. Just a vibe thing, though I admit he is impossible to read.

As much as I appreciate what he brought this season, I'm not sure how much I would respect him if he immediately bolts. If the focus is on winning and team, how can you turn your back on your team so fast?
The organization and the fans have treated him well, and bolting would definitely impact things.
Fingers crossed....
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24462 posts
1664 upvotes
Markham, ON
too early and enjoy the moment
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7542 posts
2493 upvotes
Mississauga
shikotee wrote: I really hope he stays, but suspect he will move on. Just a vibe thing, though I admit he is impossible to read.

As much as I appreciate what he brought this season, I'm not sure how much I would respect him if he immediately bolts. If the focus is on winning and team, how can you turn your back on your team so fast?
The organization and the fans have treated him well, and bolting would definitely impact things.
Fingers crossed....
No, the focus is on helping whatever team he plays basketball for to win in a team manner. It's not title chasing like some of the other stars. End of the day, his priority is real life, and if that is about wanting to be close to home in San Diego, with one of the four California teams, then so be it.

To compare to us normal folk, there are those that stay with the same company and eventually moving up (sometimes, it takes a while) - this would be like a DeRozan wanting to play for one team.

There are those that change companies moving up more quickly and would re-locate to do it if necessary - this would be like title chasers.

Then there are the ones who just want to live in a certain place, and so they will find something they enjoy doing, where they want to live - Kawhi likely falls into this one. So I can see him leaving.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
766 posts
810 upvotes
So you can imagine how much speculation just a single use of the word “they” triggered as the champagne was still drying in the Raptors’ locker room.

A since-deleted tweet from SB Nation’s Kristian Winfield:

Kawhi Leonard says bringing Toronto their first championship is the most satisfying part of the experience:

“This is something they can build on.”

“They.”

That one pronoun was immediately met with eye emojis, immediate conclusions and jokes on Twitter. Clearly, Leonard is leaving. Unless he isn’t.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4560 posts
1843 upvotes
Global Village
With Klay and KD out most of next season, with the Rockets, Spurs, Lakers crumbling, there is a case to be made that the path to the NBA finals next season will be easier in the Western conference. That gives the Clippers even more of an edge to get him imo.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30997 posts
16747 upvotes
Ottawa
I think he's leaving.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41930 posts
5501 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
shikotee wrote: I really hope he stays, but suspect he will move on. Just a vibe thing, though I admit he is impossible to read.

Fingers crossed....
I won’t be mad.
He is like a mercenary. He came in and did his job. You got what you paid for. He did an excellent job.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2888 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: No, the focus is on helping whatever team he plays basketball for to win in a team manner. It's not title chasing like some of the other stars. End of the day, his priority is real life, and if that is about wanting to be close to home in San Diego, with one of the four California teams, then so be it.

To compare to us normal folk, there are those that stay with the same company and eventually moving up (sometimes, it takes a while) - this would be like a DeRozan wanting to play for one team.

There are those that change companies moving up more quickly and would re-locate to do it if necessary - this would be like title chasers.

Then there are the ones who just want to live in a certain place, and so they will find something they enjoy doing, where they want to live - Kawhi likely falls into this one. So I can see him leaving.
It's kinda weird that you start your post with "no", and then proceed to educate me on him not being a title chaser, when nowhere did I suggest such was the case. It's cool that you feel you can relate to what you perceive as Leonard's needs and desires, but it is worth mentioning that you don't actually know him. What makes Leonard so fascinating is how little he actually asserts, and how so many are drawn to interpret from this.

Without a doubt, his original plan was to return to Cali. In life, we often desire one thing, but through experience, learn that something else was better suited. Him continuing to play for Toronto isn't just about chasing titles - it's about giving us a fair shot in the NBA. Being the lone Canadian team has made us the black sheep in so many ways that makes competing much more challenging. His staying could change this. I hope this crosses his mind when he thinks about his future.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2888 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I won’t be mad.
He is like a mercenary. He came in and did his job. You got what you paid for. He did an excellent job.
I won't be mad either.
I would be disappointed, not because of the risk of potential future titles, but because staying, IMHO, would be the stoic and zen like thing to do.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
4135 posts
1767 upvotes
Vancouver
I think he'll sign a Kevin Durant 1+1 deal
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17472 posts
5410 upvotes
Toronto
Does it really matter? He brought a championship to the team. I don't mind if he signs or doesn't. He did more for this team in 1 year than any other player in Raptors history. He already cemented himself as the greatest Raptor of all-time. The game 7 winner is a landmark event in Toronto Sports history.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12640 posts
3192 upvotes
Montréal
Heart ofc wants to see him sign but brain can't ftn as Kawhi would be great at poker. That 'they' comment and little shrug-off he did to KLo when the final buzzer sounded and his still noncommittal, not even a hint sound bites make me wary. It would be too bad if he goes.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12342 posts
6201 upvotes
Toronto
He gone.

If i had the choice between Cali and Toronto i would be gone too.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1287 posts
1047 upvotes
GTA
The Raptors knew when they traded for him it might be a one season gig as he had previously said he prefers LA. That said Raptors may be able to sign for two years only because he has a great opportunity to win more rings. Location is fine but players also think of their legacy. He can play out his career in LA later.