Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Contests

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
[Once]

Locked: Poll: Replying "Thanks" (etc.) in Contest Threads

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2013 10:26 am

Poll: What should contest thread replies contain?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
23799 posts
7650 upvotes
North Vancouver

Poll: Replying "Thanks" (etc.) in Contest Threads

Should users be allowed to reply "thanks" or "good luck" or "entered" (or similar) simply for the purpose of marking whether or not they've viewed the contest post?

Should replies be restricted to substantive matters, such as specific contest discussions, posting of codes, asking for help, etc.?

Both sides have ardent followers. Only one side can rule. Which way is best? You decide! Yes... you! If you don't vote, don't be surprised or angry when your preferred option isn't chosen!

Let's see if we can get at least 100 votes, and at least a 70% majority. This isn't a scientific poll, nor a mandatory poll, nor a poll with prizes for the voters (rats!)... so the 100/70% is purely arbitrary and may be modified depending on how substantial the turn-out and how close the results are. Hopefully the turn-out will be sufficient to wrap up the poll in a week or two.

Please also post your comments. Try to sway others to your preferred option.

It's a secret ballot, one vote per person, airfare not included.
226 replies
Dec 20, 2009
7 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
restrict to substantive matters .It should be assumed by its use that everyone appreciates the postings
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
I have stickied the thread so it doesn't get buried.
bring back colour
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It would take me too long to re-list all my arguments for why I think contest thread replies should only be for substantive matters, so here it is in a nutshell:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/contest- ... st14192999

Thanks to gbamber for doing the poll again. It's been over two years since the last one, so it's due.

And thanks to vilmark for stickying it.
Nov 8, 2009
197 posts
1380 upvotes
Voted!...... I mean thanks!....... I mean good luck! oh, I'm going back to work :D
Aug 22, 2012
159 posts
974 upvotes
Oshawa
I vote for substantive only in the threads. There is a thanks button for saying thanks so that should be used. Whether or not someone has entered is only of interest to that individual.
Feb 16, 2012
205 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Weird, as someone fairly new-ish to the site I merely thought it was good etiquette to thank the poster. I guess if someone really wants to police this...enjoy :)
Contesting highlights: Resort accommodation & lift passes (2013); Case of Toblerone (2012); Listerine prize pack (2014); Custom chalk art poster (2014); Jac Out of the Box Jewelry ring (2014); George's Lotion gift set (2012); Zax's Cream gift set (2012), Hamilton Beach Blender (2014).
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sweetirina wrote: Weird, as someone fairly new-ish to the site I merely thought it was good etiquette to thank the poster. I guess if someone really wants to police this...enjoy :)
If you want to do that, as has been mentioned the "Thanks" button will do the same thing.

Most people post "thanks" or "good luck" as a reply just so they can mark that they've already viewed the thread.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
Good luck. Thanks

Its a good piece of karma to give back, and it helps many keep track of their contests and what they have entered.

What is the harm?

Plus I have brought many threads that were buried and someone entered them and won, and without doing that they wouldnt of even know of the contest
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote: Good luck. Thanks

Its a good piece of karma to give back, and it helps many keep track of their contests and what they have entered.

What is the harm?
What are you giving back except thread bumps?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote: What are you giving back except thread bumps?
Its all matter of opinion. Why fix something on here that many do and use for tracking. Have a quicker solution for the many of us, please let us know.
Deal Guru
Dec 30, 2004
13092 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote: Most people post "thanks" or "good luck" as a reply just so they can mark that they've already viewed the thread.
This !!

Unless they can have code that when we Click on THANKS in the OP... we can actually see it in the main thread.

Other than that I will keep saying Thanks so I know which contest I entered/seen. If you prevent that..I can't see how we can keep track other than looking at the OP all the time.... Such a time waster - as we have to click every single contest every time.

If ppl don't want to see bumped contest...just tell them to sort by "Title" that was the whole purpose of having the expiry date in the front..
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
sweetirina wrote: Weird, as someone fairly new-ish to the site I merely thought it was good etiquette to thank the poster. I guess if someone really wants to police this...enjoy :)
yup not sure how the policing is going to work. but i know i dont have the time or desire to be policing it. so hopefully it will become self policed
bring back colour
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
belfour wrote: This !!

Unless they can have code that when we Click on THANKS in the OP... we can actually see it in the main thread. Other than that I will keep saying Thanks so I know which contest I entered/seen
Funny you should mention that - when was the last time you actually clicked thanks on the OP? Doing one is not mutually exclusive with the other, you know.

And if you worked through the contests in the order in which they're posted, it's not that hard to keep track of what you've looked at.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
belfour wrote: This !!

Unless they can have code that when we Click on THANKS in the OP... we can actually see it in the main thread. Other than that I will keep saying Thanks so I know which contest I entered/seen
100 percent agree. I have asked over the years to make it easier, I dont give a crap about thread count, etc. But they havent so this is what I do. There is no other easier way to keep track of ones I have already entered or been to
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote: Funny you should mention that - when was the last time you actually clicked thanks on the OP? Doing one is not mutually exclusive with the other, you know.

And if you worked through the contests in the order in which they're posted, it's not that hard to keep track of what you've looked at.
Why does a person need to do it twice? Maybe if they made the thanks button a tracker button people wouldn't have an issue with saying "Thanks"

Do the Op's need Thanks tracked?
Nov 7, 2012
62 posts
31 upvotes
Halifax
I've never used writing "thanks" to keep track of contests (although I do use the "thanks" button) and I only sort the threads by new contest postings for the most part so threads getting bumped up by thanks don't affect me. So I guess I'm ambivalent? Anyone want to buy my vote? ;)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote: 100 percent agree. I have asked over the years to make it easier, I dont give a crap about thread count, etc. But they havent so this is what I do. There is no other easier way to keep track of ones I have already entered or been to
This: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/contest- ... st15025299

And just out of curiosity, why do you also reply "good luck" to threads that have already expired, or that you're ineligible for (e.g. ON only)? Shouldn't it be self-evident?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote: Why does a person need to do it twice? Maybe if they made the thanks button a tracker button people wouldn't have an issue with saying "Thanks"

Do the Op's need Thanks tracked?
The OPs need to know when it's useful to come back to a thread, like there was a posting error, or a problem with the contest they can help to resolve.

But I tend to ignore my threads, because there's too much spam in them.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
3190 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
I click the thanks button as well as writing a quick thank you note at the bottom. Doubly polite? :)
2023 Wins: $10 Starbucks GC (Starbucks Summer Game)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)