Expired Contests

Locked: [Once] Poll: Replying "Thanks" (etc.) in Contest Threads

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2013 10:26 am

Poll: What should contest thread replies contain?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21713 posts
3725 upvotes
North Vancouver
Attention all... Spidey, DZA, tannie, and everyone else...

How about this method... it is working for me!

1) Click on "Thread Start Date" ... now the newest contests will be listed from newest to oldest down the page
2) Scroll down (however many pages) to where you see your last blue arrow (on the far left)
3) Click on the next contest above the one with the blue arrow. Do your usual: checking the thanks button, entering the contest. BUT.... instead of entering a reply (thx, thanks, entered, good luck)... go to Step 4
4) Click on your browser's back button.
5) Click on the 2nd next contest above the one with the blue arrow. Repeat Step 3 stuff and then Step 4.
6) Keep repeating Steps 3 to 5
7) When you are either tired of contesting or have reached the last available contest to enter... write in your thx, thanks on that one thread.... This will create a blue arrow on your last contest of the session.
8) Next time you arrive... repeat Steps 1 to 7

Sounds wordy, but I'm describing it as best I can.

What you'll end up with is only one thanks/thx/good luck posting (better than having to reply to every thread). You also won't need to memorize where you last left off yesterday or last week.

Is this a reasonable compromise between the thanks but no thanks factions?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
gbamber wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 7:48 pm
Attention all... Spidey, DZA, tannie, and everyone else...

How about this method... it is working for me!

1) Click on "Thread Start Date" ... now the newest contests will be listed from newest to oldest down the page
2) Scroll down (however many pages) to where you see your last blue arrow (on the far left)
3) Click on the next contest above the one with the blue arrow. Do your usual: checking the thanks button, entering the contest. BUT.... instead of entering a reply (thx, thanks, entered, good luck)... go to Step 4
4) Click on your browser's back button.
5) Click on the 2nd next contest above the one with the blue arrow. Repeat Step 3 stuff and then Step 4.
6) Keep repeating Steps 3 to 5
7) When you are either tired of contesting or have reached the last available contest to enter... write in your thx, thanks on that one thread.... This will create a blue arrow on your last contest of the session.
8) Next time you arrive... repeat Steps 1 to 7

Sounds wordy, but I'm describing it as best I can.

What you'll end up with is only one thanks/thx/good luck posting (better than having to reply to every thread). You also won't need to memorize where you last left off yesterday or last week.

Is this a reasonable compromise between the thanks but no thanks factions?
Dont see the differnce, as we are still saying thanks and creating the blue arrow. Your way just sound like extra work to achieve the same result. PLus what happens when you have to leave suddenly and forget where you left off.

i will put this as simple as I can,

I DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO REMOTLY REMEMBER WHERE I LEFT OFF WITH OUT A VISUAL AID. I WANT TO SIT DOWN AND SEE THE THREADS I HAVE NOT BEEN IN WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT. I DONT WANT TO USE EXCEL, SORTING, BOOKMARKS OR ANY OTHER WAY. I WANT TO SIT DOWN, MAKE IT QUICK TO SEE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.

Thanks for the tips, but I dont have the time to worry about it
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 12:52 am
I DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO REMOTLY REMEMBER WHERE I LEFT OFF WITH OUT A VISUAL AID. I WANT TO SIT DOWN AND SEE THE THREADS I HAVE NOT BEEN IN WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT. I DONT WANT TO USE EXCEL, SORTING, BOOKMARKS OR ANY OTHER WAY. I WANT TO SIT DOWN, MAKE IT QUICK TO SEE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.
You forgot to bold, italicize, colour red, and use font size 7.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 1:01 am
You forgot to bold, italicize, colour red, and use font size 7.
Nope, Im good. Face it, some us like our way, it works, its quick, and its easy
Sep 3, 2008
73 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 1:10 am
Nope, Im good. Face it, some us like our way, it works, its quick, and its easy
It's slower than gbamber's suggestion.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
Gobias wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 2:00 am
It's slower than gbamber's suggestion.
Depends, I want to sit down quick for 5 minutes and enter stuff, I just sit, use a visual check and move on. I dont contest a lot in a row, but fit it in here and there.

Sorry complain all you want, but until mods change the way, many of us will keep using this visual tracking way
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 10:56 am
Depends, I want to sit down quick for 5 minutes and enter stuff, I just sit, use a visual check and move on. I dont contest a lot in a row, but fit it in here and there.

Sorry complain all you want, but until mods change the way, many of us will keep using this visual tracking way
What I don't understand is why you need a visual check on something you're not even eligible to enter - for example I see you doing that with "ON only" contests, and it's obvious it's "ON only" because it's clearly stated in the thread title?!

That's why exclusions are required to be placed in the thread title in the first place! That's pretty "visual", IMO.

If you're not even going bother reading that, then why do we even need to have exclusions as a thread title requirement? It would make my life easier if I could not have to write the exclusions (e.g. QC no) and restrictions (e.g. FB).
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:11 am
What I don't understand is why you need a visual check on something you're not even eligible to enter - for example I see you doing that with "ON only" contests, and it's obvious it's "ON only" because it's clearly stated in the thread title?!

That's why exclusions are required to be placed in the thread title in the first place! That's pretty "visual", IMO.

If you're not even going bother reading that, then why do we even need to have exclusions as a thread title requirement? It would make my life easier if I could not have to write the exclusions (e.g. QC no) and restrictions (e.g. FB).
Because then I dont waste time scanning the title, thats why. If I have the visual mark, I dont have to re-read thread titles over and voer to see if Im valid to enter it or not.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:25 am
Because then I dont waste time scanning the title, thats why. If I have the visual mark, I dont have to re-read thread titles over and voer to see if Im valid to enter it or not.
Seriously?

If you just sorted the forum in thread start order, then that really wouldn't be an issue.

Forget it - I'm going to stop putting exclusions and restrictions in my thread titles since it doesn't really seem to matter any ways. I've already come damn close to reposting contests several times this week because I was spending time proofing and making sure that I got everything right before submitting, so this should save me some time. If that means more work for Vilmark, so be it.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:28 am
Seriously?

If you just sorted the forum in thread start order, then that really wouldn't be an issue.

Forget it - I'm going to stop putting exclusions and restrictions in my thread titles since it doesn't really seem to matter any ways. I've already come damn close to reposting contests several times this week because I was spending time proofing and making sure that I got everything right before submitting, so this should save me some time. If that means more work for Vilmark, so be it.
How does sorting matter when you didnt enter contests on here for a year? I did that, and it just showed all the threads anyway, just in a sorted order. I still had to go into them and either say good luck or entered for tracking. There were 35 pages of contests that I didnt enter when I started back up again, going by expiry date or start date didnt help one bit because I didnt enter any of them anway. And I wasnt about to scan every titile all the time to see if it was a valid contest I could enter. The only ones that didnt show up were ones that were already expired, since they were moved to the expired contests directory anyway.

So thats why I use the checkmark for tracking. Sorting by thread start order doesnt help a person find old contests they never entered before. and if you have to scan 35 pages every time and then go into a thread to see if you clicked the Thanks button, is a huge waste of time
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:39 am
How does sorting matter when you didnt enter contests on here for a year? I did that, and it just showed all the threads anyway, just in a sorted order. I still had to go into them and either say good luck or entered for tracking. There were 35 pages of contests that I didnt enter when I started back up again, going by expiry date or start date didnt help one bit because I didnt enter any of them anway. And I wasnt about to scan every titile all the time to see if it was a valid contest I could enter. The only ones that didnt show up were ones that were already expired, since they were moved to the expired contests directory anyway.

So thats why I use the checkmark for tracking. Sorting by thread start order doesnt help a person find old contests they never entered before. and if you have to scan 35 pages every time and then go into a thread to see if you clicked the Thanks button, is a huge waste of time
If you didn't enter any of them, then you must have wasted a lot of time "good luck"ing them all, instead of just choosing an arbitrary start point for when you did start entering again.

I had no problems with that when I first started contesting, or when I took my two long contesting breaks last year. When I came back, I just went through the new contests systematically, because I already knew where I'd ended off when I took my break. It's just a matter of being organized.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:45 am
If you didn't enter any of them, then you must have wasted a lot of time "good luck"ing them all, instead of just choosing an arbitrary start point for when you did start entering again.

I had no problems with that when I first started contesting, or when I took my two long contesting breaks last year. When I came back, I just went through the new contests systematically, because I already knew where I'd ended off when I took my break. It's just a matter of being organized.

Start point was the bottom and worked my way up, that way I could enter the oldest first, not newest. If I did it the other way around by the time I got to the oldest I would of missed enterting them

. Im glad you have a system that works for YOU. I have a system that works for ME. Sorry that you dont like it, but is it more for the benefit of the community, or because you dont like the fact someone isnt doing something your way?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:57 am
Start point was the bottom and worked my way up, that way I could enter the oldest first, not newest. If I did it the other way around by the time I got to the oldest I would of missed enterting them

. Im glad you have a system that works for YOU. I have a system that works for ME. Sorry that you dont like it, but is it more for the benefit of the community, or because you dont like the fact someone isnt doing something your way?
I've said it before, and I've said it again - I don't care what way you use, as long as it cuts down on all the cluttering of threads that could be better used for discussion, not to mention the random and unnecessary thread bumping

But given that the poll currently stands at 117-62, I dare-say that "my way" is in fact for the benefit of the community, regardless of my personal thoughts and feelings on the matter.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
21713 posts
3725 upvotes
North Vancouver
Spidey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 11:25 am
Spidey, my method does give you the visual mark for tracking. The way you and others do it now is to find the last page/post where you left your last blue checkmark and then leave more blue checks as you work through the contests.

My method does the same thing, except you won't have to waste time thanking every post. Just sort the thread start and find the page/post where you last marked. You won't even have to enter the thread to push the thanks button. You won't have to remember where you left off... just look for your last blue arrow.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
gbamber wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 12:18 pm
Spidey, my method does give you the visual mark for tracking. The way you and others do it now is to find the last page/post where you left your last blue checkmark and then leave more blue checks as you work through the contests.

My method does the same thing, except you won't have to waste time thanking every post. Just sort the thread start and find the page/post where you last marked. You won't even have to enter the thread to push the thanks button. You won't have to remember where you left off... just look for your last blue arrow.
This is an excellent compromise. I think the "thankers" should seriously consider it.