• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2017 9:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2016
23 posts

Poodle or Yorkie for condo?

My wife and I are thinking of getting a small dog and narrowed it down to either poodle or a yorkie. Anyone here have either one? What are they like?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2958 posts
444 upvotes
Well, since you have narrowed it down to one of the two breeds, I would expect that you now something about either poodles or yorkies.

I expect you know the common health issues - but then again not all poodles or yorkies will suffer from them. However, there are some conditions that are more likely to happen - e.g. Dachshund disc disease etc., depending on the breed. There are no health guarantees, just as there are no health guarantees with people.

Note, they can be serious barkers (especially the yorkie, being a terrier). On the other hand I know a few small poodles who bark constantly.

We have had terriers - they barked. Our current dog is a barker. The noise level in your condo could easily be a contributing factor to barking. Of course it helps if you are on the board of directors.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1756 posts
230 upvotes
Canada
neither, both are barkers!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
676 upvotes
South of Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 27th, 2016 12:08 pm
SMall does not equal good for apartments.

Greyhounds... Now those are good for apartments. They are a very docile pup. Despite their racing heritage... Doesn't mean they don't need daily walks.
Great Danes too. Pretty laid back and gentle giants.
Mar 24, 2016
517 posts
445 upvotes
scarborough
I would go for a toy poodle. I have a shih-poo which is have shih tzu and half poodle. Doesmt need a lot of excercise. Very playful but you dont need large space. Doesnt bark too much.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7366 posts
1555 upvotes
Mississauga
Toy poodle. They're very bright and easily trainable. Also full of energy.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1360 posts
90 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Keep in mind you'll have to take them out for bathroom breaks quite often because of their small bladders. Living in a condo you won't be able to just open the door to let them do their business in between their daily walk or 2. I have 2 Maltese that are about 10lbs. They go out to pee at least 4x/day. The smaller one (7lbs) can go up to 6x. They aren't big barkers with the exception of a door knock.