Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1339 posts
28 upvotes

Poor Customer Service at Canada Computers

I recently bought a Treo 680 smartphone on November 14, 2008, as soon as I turned it on I saw a few dead pixels on the screen. I went back into the store but the "technician" there said they could not accept it because it did not have enough dead pixels to qualify for an exchange. So I contacted Canada Computers HQ about this issue, and the rep who answered was nice and said it should have been replaced, so he arranged for it to be replaced at the Pacific Mall location.

When I got there, the employee there said he had opened a "new" box for me. He swapped the phones and it all went well. I walked out, I immediately noticed that it was a used phone (a smudge on the back, dirt on the screen, etc.), the phone probably a return, because the back lighting was uneven on the keyboard, the screen had 2 stuck pixels, and the navigation buttons were a bit loose. I went back and pointed this out to the same employee, he said that was too bad and there was nothing he could do about it in a rude manner. That was extremely poor customer service and he denied that it was used and keep on saying it was brand new even though it was obvious by looking at the phone that it was not.

Right now I am stuck with this used phone, when I paid for the full price ($300) for a new one. Today, I noticed that Canada Computers has extended their return and exchange policy to Jan 8, 2009 for purchases from Nov 15 - Dec 24. I am a day too late.

Am I screwed?
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Did you try calling the HQ again after you got that bad phone?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
66 upvotes
This is clearly why I don't buy nothing else but MB, Cpu and computer parts from these guys. Everything else they have in stock are bought personally and not from the original suppliers, which means they're stuck with it if it's defective. And they have the customers take the hit for them. This what happens when deal with small businesses like Canada computers
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
I would take it back and get your money back, just fight them until you have 100% of your money back, and then don't go back.

I wouldn't bother trying to do anymore of this swaping thing, and just buy a phone elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1638 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
tomthegreat wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2008 2:12 am
I would take it back and get your money back, just fight them until you have 100% of your money back, and then don't go back.

I wouldn't bother trying to do anymore of this swaping thing, and just buy a phone elsewhere.
Couldn`t agree with you more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1339 posts
28 upvotes
darkprince wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2008 12:33 am
Everything else they have in stock are bought personally and not from the original suppliers, which means they're stuck with it if it's defective.
That rude guy at the Pacific Mall location actually told me this, and that their stuff is bought from wholesalers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1339 posts
28 upvotes
tomthegreat wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2008 2:12 am

Yep, I'm going to try my best to get a full refund. I sent off 2 emails to different depts at Canada Computers, hoping that someone will respond. I don't have time to go to a store today and I don't have time either to deal with their CSRs on the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5085 posts
877 upvotes
If you bought with a credit card, try contacting your issuer for assistance.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1990 posts
147 upvotes
York Region
I found the sales people in Canada Computer really sucks. :mad: :mad:
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1638 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
tsatsa wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2008 9:19 am
I found the sales people in Canada Computer really sucks. :mad: :mad:
Rude and ignorant, to say the least.
It is not like they want your business or care about you as a customer.
Sooner or later they will go under.
They are arrogant,perhaps,they are better than us.
Time will tell.
I will give them maybe a year,at most.
The curse is on.....................
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
When you buy grey market products you should expect nothing more than a 'grey' warranty policy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7270 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
did the rep already open it in advance before you got there?

see if you can head to another location (kennedy.ellesmere)

i know that pmall location is full of ppl who think they know their sh1t

if not, see if u can go to their head office directly or ship it out.

Be sure to include that the pmall location was giving u bs product
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25012 posts
5287 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2008 12:51 pm
When you buy grey market products you should expect nothing more than a 'grey' warranty policy.
Yeah but from post #3, it seems that not everything at CC is grey market, just certain things. It probably wasn't clear to the OP that what they were buying was grey market, so they didn't have the expectation to get a grey warranty did they?
Banned
Nov 9, 2008
189 posts
182 upvotes
i had no problems with canada computers, but i've shopped at the downtown and pacific mall locations only. better than shopping at futureshop.
teh
Banned
Jul 31, 2008
1423 posts
21 upvotes
Why would you let him 'open the box for you'? You should have told him if he didn't open the thing in front of you it's used. You gotta smell the ******** a mile away and then rub his face in it. Or you should have inspected the damn thing right in front of him and been like, oh well, look, there's lint in the cracks, there's dirt on the back, there's a scratch on the blah blah blah. Don't be afraid, you don't owe them anything. You're the mother effing consumer. You're the one with HIS nuts in YOUR hand! Don't be afraid to squeeze a little.