• Oct 27th, 2017 5:34 pm
Apr 10, 2017
391 posts
104 upvotes
carter500500 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 12:24 am
Probably near 1000 sq ft.
I have 2000 sq ft and I was quoted 6k.

If you have the money and isn't motivated to do this, pay it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7870 posts
2030 upvotes
Toronto
Never seen this question before.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3321 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
When was asbestos banned in Canada?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4670 posts
557 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 12:26 pm
I have 2000 sq ft and I was quoted 6k.

If you have the money and isn't motivated to do this, pay it.
I received a similar quote also for 2000 sq ft but after watching the above video I'm considering trying to do 1 room on my own - see how it goes
Come join the Crypto discussion :

https://chat.whatsapp.com/33kLOgl0JXD7GLH0N0tspk

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
May 13, 2007
57 posts
16 upvotes
Lake of the Woods
Tommy74 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:22 pm
Are you using the fan for removing popcorn ceiling? This is basically dust free job. Empty Windex spray bottle, some warm water, spray the popcorn and remove with wide blade scraper. Keep the scraper on angle, to avoid scoring the drywall paper. Cheap dollar store sheets on the floor, roll them up and throw it in the garbage, when finished. Worked for me.
No, the fan is to remove airborne particles from the room and minimize it's travel throughout the house. "Basically dust free" isn't good enough for me, and once one is sanding the dry ceiling there will be plenty of dust.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3321 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
tooluser wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:46 pm
No, the fan is to remove airborne particles from the room and minimize it's travel throughout the house. "Basically dust free" isn't good enough for me, and once one is sanding the dry ceiling there will be plenty of dust.
How to do a large ceiling foyer where the staircase is as well? Do you put sheets around the staircase and railings? How does that work?
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4201 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
carter500500 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:47 pm
HI all...

Current residence is occupied and has all our belongings. Looking to have professionals come and remove popcorn ceiling.

1. This is known to be a messy job. Is it practical to get it done when the house isn't vacant? We can move our furniture from one room to another while each room is individually done. Is that okay? Or will the dust fly all over the house into the nearby rooms as well?

2. Not looking at any crown moulding. Will a flat plain ceiling look okay? Or will the imperfections be obvious? Will a drywall be needed?

House built in early 1990s so no asbestos I'm thinking.
Yes, it will be messy. As @CNeufeld mentioned, if it was painted over, it will be tougher to remove. To paint over stucco, you have to use oil based paint, which makes it hard to penetrate and remove. Either way, it will be messy for sure.

I prefer flat ceilings. Most of my buyers do as well. The condition of the drywall is a surprise once the stucco is removed. You may have to mud areas and primer it before re-painting.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3321 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:55 pm
Yes, it will be messy. As @CNeufeld mentioned, if it was painted over, it will be tougher to remove. To paint over stucco, you have to use oil based paint, which makes it hard to penetrate and remove. Either way, it will be messy for sure.

I prefer flat ceilings. Most of my buyers do as well. The condition of the drywall is a surprise once the stucco is removed. You may have to mud areas and primer it before re-painting.
Does a house built in 1989 need to be tested for asbestos?
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4201 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:10 pm
I believe OP said their home was built after 1990, asbestos shouldn't have been used.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Jan 23, 2015
501 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
ar2020 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:10 pm
Asbestos was banned around 1977, but existing inventory was said to be used until the early 80's.
May 6, 2013
532 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Just finished removing popcorn on our whole main floor, looks great now but I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN! Its messy, dusty and tons of patching and prep work. Primer and paint is also no fun doing multiple coats over your head with 9ft ceilings. Looks nice at least now. Took me a full 5 days to complete.
[OP]
May 12, 2017
153 posts
78 upvotes
RSXPrem wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:04 pm
Just finished removing popcorn on our whole main floor, looks great now but I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN! Its messy, dusty and tons of patching and prep work. Primer and paint is also no fun doing multiple coats over your head with 9ft ceilings. Looks nice at least now. Took me a full 5 days to complete.
Did you do it with the house furnished? That must be hard moving stuff out of the room completely.
[OP]
May 12, 2017
153 posts
78 upvotes
schade wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:25 pm
Find a company that uses the Festool Planex Drywall sander. Its pretty much dust free, and super fast!

The issue is it will cost $6k :(.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1272 posts
430 upvotes
Alliston, ON
carter500500 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:28 pm
The issue is it will cost $6k :(.
You think paying someone to scrape it by hand will be cheaper?? or having them mud over the popcorn?