• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 5:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 6, 2009
327 posts
63 upvotes

Popeye's going KFC?

I bought some yesterday at the Meadowvale location in Mississauga. Holy shrinking chicken! The pieces were noticeably smaller, particularly the thighs. I would say they were 30-40% smaller. I guess this is Popeye's way of dealing with the rising labour costs without raising their prices.

Anyone notice the same thing with their other locations?
47 replies
Dec 29, 2012
621 posts
136 upvotes
Scarborough
I thought the same thing when I bought from Steeles/Middlefield, but then the ones at Bridlewood mall were large (Tuesday special), not sure if it depends on what's shipped to them at any one time.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
660 upvotes
mrbizi wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 2:22 pm
I bought some yesterday at the Meadowvale location in Mississauga. Holy shrinking chicken! The pieces were noticeably smaller, particularly the thighs. I would say they were 30-40% smaller. I guess this is Popeye's way of dealing with the rising labour costs without raising their prices.

What rising labor costs? It's been inconsequential compared to rent/insurance/franchise

You think KFC shrunk chicken sizes due to labour too? Lol

You may want to see who bought out Popeyes and it's self explanatory why this is happening
Aug 26, 2018
310 posts
388 upvotes
mrbizi wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 2:22 pm

I have not eaten at popeyes for a long time but I did swing by during the $9.99 KFC special a few weeks ago to check out prices.

If true that would be ridiculous as they are so expensive. I would never eat Popeyes at their regular prices. Even KFC is cheaper with regular bucket chicken.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2009
327 posts
63 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 4:42 pm
What rising labor costs? It's been inconsequential compared to rent/insurance/franchise

You think KFC shrunk chicken sizes due to labour too? Lol

You may want to see who bought out Popeyes and it's self explanatory why this is happening
And you're a dummy , a simple google search would have taught you that in the fast food industry, wages amount to about a quarter of revenue. Heck, you don't even have to google that, just walk into any popeye's store and you'll see a bunch of minimum wage workers.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
660 upvotes
mrbizi wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 5:41 pm
And you're a dummy , a simple google search would have taught you that in the fast food industry, wages amount to about a quarter of revenue. Heck, you don't even have to google that, just walk into any popeye's store and you'll see a bunch of minimum wage workers.
A quarter of revenue? Hmmmm

Again, answer is in who bought Popeyes or the other 75% of revenues in your terms maybe lol
[OP]
Apr 6, 2009
327 posts
63 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 5:53 pm
A quarter of revenue? Hmmmm

Again, answer is in who bought Popeyes or the other 75% of revenues in your terms maybe lol
Lol. An MBA, you are clearly not.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2605 posts
779 upvotes
I havnt had Popeyes’s in a while, truth be told I like white meat over dark, if it’s cooked right.
Popeyes makes really dry fried white meat chicken.
The wings are ridiculously small at Popeyes (whole wings)

I get kfc now, for some reason they’ve been giving me white meat for the Tuesday special. In my opinion the chicken kfc tastes way better.
The only thing I went to Popeyes did was their portions but kfc is not bad now. I can’t complain about the pieces I get at the locations I go to, theyre bigger than popeyes white meat!

To be Burger King is the Popeyes of burgers
And McDonald’s is the kfc of burgers
Smaller portions but better food
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4964 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
If someone says white meat is better than dark meat, that invalidates the rest of what they are saying. Also KFC tastes like ass.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3701 posts
1318 upvotes
Mississauga
“...wages amount to about a quarter of revenue.”

Wut?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5159 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 8:11 pm
If someone says white meat is better than dark meat, that invalidates the rest of what they are saying. Also KFC tastes like ass.
this guy has definitely tasted ass
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7015 posts
1488 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 3:44 pm
I gather this is a head office decision, not an individual location choice.
IF the Bloor & Bathurst location can have a say in this, I bet they'd keep their pieces large because there is just too much competition in the area.
Everything from Dirty Bird to PC Clucks (coming soon-same chicken as College street location)
There's also MYMY chicken and the FRY. Those two are slightly different because you have to buy a half or whole chicken. (They don't sell two or 3 piece dinners, but they're still fried chicken.)
KFC is not too far off, just down a bit over at Christie & Bloor...across the street from that there is also the white brick kitchen.

Several businesses pretty close together, all fighting to get the attention of the fried chicken fan.

***added note: The Jerk King restaurant @ Bathurst & Bloor also has fried chicken as an option, but it's not their "bread and butter", so I left it out.
Playnicee1 making baseless comments as usual. Maybe MTY will buy Popeyes and change it back to normal sized chicken pieces.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13679 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 9:19 pm
Playnicee1 making baseless comments as usual. Maybe MTY will buy Popeyes and change it back to normal sized chicken pieces.
Link? Source? Fried chicken is not a bad investment idea for MTY group, but I think they'll go after a smaller company first, if ever.
Hardly baseless comments.
Read what I actually wrote before making baseless comments yourself.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Oct 6th, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7015 posts
1488 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 9:51 pm
Link? Source? Fried chicken is not a bad investment idea for MTY group, but I think they'll go after a smaller company first, if ever.
Hardly baseless comments.
Read what I actually wrote before making baseless comments yourself.
I did read what you wrote. Have you actually been to the Bloor/Bathurst location to see if the pieces are smaller? Until you do, those are baseless comments.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13679 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 10:04 pm
I did read what you wrote. Have you actually been to the Bloor/Bathurst location to see if the pieces are smaller? Until you do, those are baseless comments.
You should have said that in the first place.
They do get a fresh new batch every two days from their supplier, but because of the long week-end, it might be smart to play it safe and wait until Tuesday before checking out the size of the chicken there.