Cell Phones

Port Number To Cancel Without Plan? Avoid Retentions Entirely?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 3:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2486 posts
566 upvotes
Lethbridge

Port Number To Cancel Without Plan? Avoid Retentions Entirely?

Perhaps I’m searching for this the wrong way, but I can’t find an answer to this on Google, cell forums, or here…

Is it possible to “port” a number without having a plan with another carrier? Perhaps transfer it to another carrier SIM card I have and avoid the call to retentions completely?

Thanks in advance.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14500 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
The number must be available for porting from one carrier.

Example 1: I have a post-paid cell phone # with Rogers (123-456-7890). I call Rogers, cancel my plan, and close my account. Unfortunately, I cannot port the number from Rogers to another carrier because I cancelled my post-paid plan.

Example 2: I have a post-paid cell phone # with Rogers (123-456-7890). I can port the number from Rogers to another carrier because I have not cancelled my post-paid plan.

Not sure if either example applies to your situation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2486 posts
566 upvotes
Lethbridge
Not exactly. I was curious if you could just avoid the call to cancellations completely. I also don't care about the number, just want the account closed without the song and dance.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3565 posts
1281 upvotes
Toronto
He probably have Koodo and want to port out. Buy $1 or free sim from Bell or any, port out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2486 posts
566 upvotes
Lethbridge
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:18 pm
He probably have Koodo and want to port out. Buy $1 or free sim from Bell or any, port out.
Fido actually. I was just curious honestly after discussing with a co-worker how he spent an hour on the phone trying to cancel an account for his parents after one of them had passed away. He had made the comment if only it were as easy to close an account as when you port your number, which got me thinking...

Thanks for the replies all
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15392 posts
5730 upvotes
Oakville
numberbarn.com will let you port without having to talk to anybody or go through the hassle of purchasing a sim. Just have to remember to cancel the parking service so you don't get billed after the first month.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient