None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2493 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto

portable steps for garage entrance in the house

I am planning to build an entrance in my house from garage. The problem is that house ground level is too high that I wont be able to park my car in if steps are installed.

I have heard there are portable steps available that can be put in place when the car is parked inside and removed when car is in.

Any idea if these actually exist and where to get them?

Thanks,
4 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10460 posts
1186 upvotes
Markham
bsobaid wrote:
Sep 26th, 2011 1:34 pm
I am planning to build an entrance in my house from garage. The problem is that house ground level is too high that I wont be able to park my car in if steps are installed.

I have heard there are portable steps available that can be put in place when the car is parked inside and removed when car is in.

Any idea if these actually exist and where to get them?

Thanks,

If you have to use a portable steps, then what is the point of this door?
When you park the car, you have to remove the steps so you then won't be able to get in from that door
is it really worth it?

how about Lowering entrance to the house, and build a landing and stair in the house? So when you open that door, you walk in to the landing. close the door and walk up the stairs.
64TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 48TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
32TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2012 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2493 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
Keigotw wrote:
Sep 26th, 2011 2:14 pm
If you have to use a portable steps, then what is the point of this door?
When you park the car, you have to remove the steps so you then won't be able to get in from that door
is it really worth it?

how about Lowering entrance to the house, and build a landing and stair in the house? So when you open that door, you walk in to the landing. close the door and walk up the stairs.

Car is parked in only at night. When there is an access to garage from inside of the house, I can store stuff in garage like garbage box, and groceries etc.

Also, lowering my house is far far more work than installing and door and portable stairs.
Sep 26, 2007
842 posts
18 upvotes
Why not put the steps inside the house, by lowering the floor to garage level where the entrance would be?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76726 posts
1574 upvotes
There has to be a better way than what you suggest. Someones not paying attention and walk right out thinking there are steps when there are none. Sounds like a major safety issue to me

Maybe post some pics and measurements.
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
× < >