Home & Garden

Portable washer+dryer for apartment (110V)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2010 5:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9726 posts
428 upvotes

Portable washer+dryer for apartment (110V)

Anyone use portable washer and dryers in their apartments? I'm moving to an apartment and don't really want to have to use the coin operated machines.

I purchased a portable washer from costco.ca (It was the last one and now its taken off the website).

Does anyone have experience with how well 110V dryers work? I found a weird little site that seems to sell them cheap locally but I can't find any info on the model or brand "home comfort"

http://www.bluelifestyle.ca/

Anyone have any suggestions?
11 replies
Banned
Jan 19, 2009
2301 posts
98 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
May 12th, 2010 3:58 pm
I must be old, I never knew a huge thing like a washer/dryer could be portable...
its usually against the rules in 99% of apartments.
Mar 2, 2009
210 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I had a 110 dryer in the past and it worked great. It was a little smaller than a full size dryer and it took a few extra mins. I used to have mine near the kitchen window and would vent it out that window when I was using it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
9251 posts
2393 upvotes
Toronto
We have an LG washer that hooks up to our sink and a dryer.

They are stacked with the dryer on top.

Unfortunately, the dryer is not connected to any outside ventilation - though in winter it's welcome.

alot of folks in our co-op have washers and dryers in their apartments. We are trying to get ours hooked up upstairs (washer to the main and dryer to a vent) - but contractors what $1500 to $3000!!!
2016 Wins: Sweet F**k all.

Laird of Glencoe and Lochaber
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18573 posts
501 upvotes
Montreal
If you want a washer and dryer, I'm getting rid of mine. THey're both full size fully working kenmores (probably about 12 years old). I'm selling them cheap because I just took delivery of a pair of new front loaders, and need the space. $50 each, or $80 for both.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9726 posts
428 upvotes
Thanks for the offer but I need 110V appliances for an apartment that doesn't actually allow for a full size washer/dryer (actually they don't allow the portable washer either but the landlord pretty much winked and nudged me that it was OK with him).

I actually just ordered a haier washer and dryer (both portable) from walmart.com...much cheaper than anything I saw here....looking forward to driving to Niagara falls to pick it up...first time I've done that.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3827 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
We got the GE washer and dryer from HD three years ago, they both use 120v. In total the washer and dryer has run almost daily with two kids clothes pile up fast. My wife was alomst assaulted in our laundry room by a woman who took our clothes from our running machine, and tossed hers in when she was caught she freaked out. Also someone was stealing socks and undies from all the dryers in our building. Forgot to metion the dryer sits over the washer on a stand and the washer rolls to the sink. Also pantyhose makes a great lint filter for the dryer exhaust. A neighbour uses a huge sport sock for his dryer vent filter.
I got.....nothing to say.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3827 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote:
May 12th, 2010 5:58 pm
Thanks for the offer but I need 110V appliances for an apartment that doesn't actually allow for a full size washer/dryer (actually they don't allow the portable washer either but the landlord pretty much winked and nudged me that it was OK with him).

I actually just ordered a haier washer and dryer (both portable) from walmart.com...much cheaper than anything I saw here....looking forward to driving to Niagara falls to pick it up...first time I've done that.
I have seen many haier machines in the dumpster where I live, did you reasearch the model you are buying?
I got.....nothing to say.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9726 posts
428 upvotes
edgedamage wrote:
May 12th, 2010 6:23 pm
I have seen many haier machines in the dumpster where I live, did you reasearch the model you are buying?
They had many positive reviews, thats about the most research I could do as I never knew anyone that used them.
Apr 25, 2010
208 posts
2 upvotes
West of Toronto
slowtyper wrote:
May 12th, 2010 5:58 pm

check craigslist as well...but really anything is better then washing your clothes with the other animals.
Dec 1, 2010
1 posts
St.Catharines
hi I just saw this posting did you end up buying from that company? Woudl you reco mmened? I have been looking into it.. and found them as well.. wondering how your luck with them went thanks!!! :)
× < >