Porting from account not owned but authorized

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2017 8:35 pm
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes

Porting from account not owned but authorized

Hoping someone can answer this.

I have a working phone (unlocked) provided by an ex-employer. There are allowing me to keep it but transfer it to an account of my own and have authorized me to do this with the current provider. Can I port this to a different provider right away or do I need to first transfer it to an account of my own at the current provider after which I'm free to do what I want.

Thanks
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You can port it no problem right away even if the name is different. All they check is one of IMEI on file, account #, and/or PIN.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1326 posts
165 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: You can port it no problem right away even if the name is different. All they check is one of IMEI on file, account #, and/or PIN.
Normally 100% true, only issues that can come up is if you go to that companies sub-brand, sometimes inter-brand ports can have issues if you aren't the account holder.
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
So once I am authorized on the account for that number to allow transfer I can do what I want? I won't have the account or PIN.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
I would transfer it to your name first, then port. One less headache to deal with.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
It is not necessary. In the porting information, make sure the actual owner's name is used. The porting systems do not care that the two accounts involved have different owners.
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
will888 wrote: It is not necessary. In the porting information, make sure the actual owner's name is used. The porting systems do not care that the two accounts involved have different owners.
You lost me. Currently the phone is listed under the owner (Ex Employer). I have his name but not the account or PIN #. I don't think they would just port it over if I gave the new provider the current account owners name otherwise wouldn't anyone be able to port over anything they wanted. Shouldn't my name be authorized on the account/phone number?
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: I would transfer it to your name first, then port. One less headache to deal with.
It would be the easiest way but I'm trying to avoid having 2 credit checks done in such short order. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it and make this a lot easier to do. hmm........
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
squigly1 wrote:

You lost me. Currently the phone is listed under the owner (Ex Employer). I have his name but not the account or PIN #. I don't think they would just port it over if I gave the new provider the current account owners name otherwise wouldn't anyone be able to port over anything they wanted. Shouldn't my name be authorized on the account/phone number?

It's doable all in one shot, but not without the PIN or account number.
squigly1 wrote:
It would be the easiest way but I'm trying to avoid having 2 credit checks done in such short order. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it and make this a lot easier to do. hmm........
Would not worry if your not buying a house anytime soon. These things are so minor. I've signed up and cancelled koodo once every year for the past 4 years and banks are still increasing my credit limits left right and centre.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
squigly1 wrote: You lost me. Currently the phone is listed under the owner (Ex Employer). I have his name but not the account or PIN #. I don't think they would just port it over if I gave the new provider the current account owners name otherwise wouldn't anyone be able to port over anything they wanted. Shouldn't my name be authorized on the account/phone number?
You will need the account number and perhaps PIN also to port along with phone number and account owner's name. That is the extent of the information required to port.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: I would transfer it to your name first, then port. One less headache to deal with.
Transferring is kind of like porting in a way. Porting is really a transfer from carrier to carrier. Straight transfer is within the same carrier. I don't see how you need different information to carry out the change in the two cases.
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
will888 wrote: Transferring is kind of like porting in a way. Porting is really a transfer from carrier to carrier. Straight transfer is within the same carrier. I don't see how you need different information to carry out the change in the two cases.
My question goes back to the info I will have. The account number for my phone will have my authorization to allow me to transfer but I will not have the actual account number or PIN. So with that can I port it to another provider or do I first need to transfer it to an account of my own?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
will888 wrote: Transferring is kind of like porting in a way. Porting is really a transfer from carrier to carrier. Straight transfer is within the same carrier. I don't see how you need different information to carry out the change in the two cases.
squigly1 wrote: My question goes back to the info I will have. The account number for my phone will have my authorization to allow me to transfer but I will not have the actual account number or PIN. So with that can I port it to another provider or do I first need to transfer it to an account of my own?

Initiating a port from an account that is not in your name raises confusion and questions. Is it fraud? Why is the destination account name different? Do they have the exact details of the originating account?, etc etc. On top, the OP isn't 100% sure of the originating account details. He has no pin, no account number, not even a copy of the latest bill. It's just opening a can of worms for yourself. Don't get me wrong, it's doable if you have all the required information, but in this case I see the OP going back and forth with the originating carrier, destination carrier and his employer to get all this to go through which = headache.

Some carriers charge extra to process to port if all the information isn't correct and if they have to resubmit it (voip.ms). I almost risked a second port charge because the account number given to me was 1 digit off from the paper bill, and voip.ms basically said you only get 2 chances to submit the port, and after that you have to pay again.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Agreed with @will888 that all you need is the account info, and you can essentially "transfer responsibility" of the number only on a port by switching carriers. By transferring it within the carrier first, you're inheriting responsibility of the agreement on that line, plus they might change the plan on you anyway if you're coming from a corporate or shared plan...plus they'll seize the opportunity to charge you a one-time transfer of responsibility fee.

Get the account number, billing name & address, PIN and hopefully you've got matching IMEI to that subscriber line and port the number like a boss :D
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Agreed with @will888 that all you need is the account info, and you can essentially "transfer responsibility" of the number only on a port by switching carriers. By transferring it within the carrier first, you're inheriting responsibility of the agreement on that line, plus they might change the plan on you anyway if you're coming from a corporate or shared plan...plus they'll seize the opportunity to charge you a one-time transfer of responsibility fee.

Get the account number, billing name & address, PIN and hopefully you've got matching IMEI to that subscriber line and port the number like a boss :D
Since those details (account number and PIN) are from an ex-employer I don't think they will give me those details. I am happy I get to keep the phone so I don't have to purchase one and also get to keep the phone number. So my confusion in all this is will it be enough that the ex-employer authorized me with the current provider (which the current provider requires to move the number to an account of my own), to allow movement of the number to a different provider or do I need the other details like account number and PIN to port which I will only be able to get if the account is mine. If that is the case I'll have to first transfer the phone to an account of my own with the current provider.

As for the current plan I'm pretty sure it's at least on a shared plan and may even be corporate so I'd likely have to change the plan when I transfer.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
squigly1 wrote: Since those details (account number and PIN) are from an ex-employer I don't think they will give me those details. I am happy I get to keep the phone so I don't have to purchase one and also get to keep the phone number. So my confusion in all this is will it be enough that the ex-employer authorized me with the current provider (which the current provider requires to move the number to an account of my own), to allow movement of the number to a different provider or do I need the other details like account number and PIN to port which I will only be able to get if the account is mine. If that is the case I'll have to first transfer the phone to an account of my own with the current provider.

As for the current plan I'm pretty sure it's at least on a shared plan and may even be corporate so I'd likely have to change the plan when I transfer.
If you're an authorized contact on the account, then you can get the account number from the carrier. You should also be able to pass validation via alternative means, and then change the PIN. Once you've ported out, advise your ex-employer of the PIN change and give them that PIN so they can call in and set the PIN to what they want it to be. The carrier might not give you the account PIN, but if you pass their security questions, you should be able to set a new PIN on the account (which can be changed any time).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: If you're an authorized contact on the account, then you can get the account number from the carrier. You should also be able to pass validation via alternative means, and then change the PIN. Once you've ported out, advise your ex-employer of the PIN change and give them that PIN so they can call in and set the PIN to what they want it to be. The carrier might not give you the account PIN, but if you pass their security questions, you should be able to set a new PIN on the account (which can be changed any time).
When I contacted the current provider that informed my that the account holder needs to authorize me for the phone number in question so that I could transfer. Would that authorization be the same as being an authorized contact on the account?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
squigly1 wrote: Since those details (account number and PIN) are from an ex-employer I don't think they will give me those details. I am happy I get to keep the phone so I don't have to purchase one and also get to keep the phone number. So my confusion in all this is will it be enough that the ex-employer authorized me with the current provider (which the current provider requires to move the number to an account of my own), to allow movement of the number to a different provider or do I need the other details like account number and PIN to port which I will only be able to get if the account is mine. If that is the case I'll have to first transfer the phone to an account of my own with the current provider.

Who is paying the bills now? I assume it is you. So how do you pay for something that you know nothing about. Just getting an account number should not be that difficult. If you can't get it, well then this long discussion ends.
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
will888 wrote: Who is paying the bills now? I assume it is you. So how do you pay for something that you know nothing about. Just getting an account number should not be that difficult. If you can't get it, well then this long discussion ends.
The phone and account is still under the ex-employer so they are paying. They have allowed me to keep the phone and number and transfer to an account of my own, or whatever. I'm just waiting for them to authorize me as the provider requires..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)