Travel

Portugal AirBNB Host is asking for passport number by law - True or false?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2017 1:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1364 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal

Portugal AirBNB Host is asking for passport number by law - True or false?

Hello
We're heading over to Portugal soon and after booking a few AirBNB locally, we're being asked to provide in advance our passport numbers by law. Can anyone shed some light as to if this is true or not?

Google doesn't provide a clear answer and I dont trust info directly on the AirBNB forums. Lots of info in Portuguese also which I can't read...
16 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22243 posts
4186 upvotes
Waterloo
Shoot, now I can't remember my March 2017 trip (Lisbon is B&B via Expedia, Barcelona is Airbnb)
I *think* they both asked for our passport (or just one) to scan at check-in (they're legit B&B business with registration #, not your DIY hosts)
I definitely didn't email any beforehand

I'd maybe ask other Airbnb in Portguals to see if they need it also? to see if it's National law or just the hosts wanting them
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5416 posts
618 upvotes
Could you ask the host to provide you with a link or reference to the law they're referring to?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1911 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I've never used airbnb...

However,
My husband is Portuguese and we go there a few times a year and always stay at hotels. We are almost always asked for our passports and I've witnessed them photocopying them.

Do they want the passport # or a an actual copy of the passport? I can't think of too much that can be done with a passport number. Regardless, just ask if you can show them your passport upon arrival?

There are tons of countries in the world where I have been asked for both of our passports and they actually photocopy them. Never had any issues.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11069 posts
1307 upvotes
Mississauga
I was in Portugal a couple months ago and had to give my passport upon check-in at my hostel. Maybe your AirBnB hosts won't be there in person when you arrive so they're making sure they have all their paperwork in order?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
444 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
All EU countries require copy of passport for people staying at hotels, hostel or Airbnb ..they also collect any tourist tax/room fees for Airbnb just like for hotels
May 4, 2007
128 posts
21 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 10:21 pm
All EU countries require copy of passport for people staying at hotels, hostel or Airbnb ..
Not true quite yet. Until Brexit, UK is still in EU and has no interest in seeing your passport to check where you are staying.

What the heck do the other countries do with the info anyway?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
444 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
itIsI wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:25 pm
Not true quite yet. Until Brexit, UK is still in EU and has no interest in seeing your passport to check where you are staying.

Its the law for all EU members and the UK as well according to source below .maybe the hotel you stayed at just didn't follow the law?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... akers.html
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11069 posts
1307 upvotes
Mississauga
itIsI wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:25 pm

I believe it gets registered with the police. I guess it would help to track you down if you committed a crime.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1364 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
ok fair enough, thanks for all the feedback. Just wanted to know if it was legit or not in terms of request
Got Heat?
Nov 24, 2009
381 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 12:22 am
Its the law for all EU members and the UK as well according to source below .maybe the hotel you stayed at just didn't follow the law?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... akers.html
At recent trip to Greece and Italy, none of Airbnb hosts asked for my passport, but hotel did. I guess they weren't following the law.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4373 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
The airbnbs i stayed in Italy asked for my passport when we arrived. So i don't think its uncommon.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Nov 8, 2015
19 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
had been asked this once while I was in Belgium
party at 15 Dunedin Drive, Kleinburg
May 7, 2017
347 posts
162 upvotes
I have a Airbnb unit in Portugal and we do ask for passport numbers ( the company that we signed up for does our day to day operations ). The house is registered and everything.

Prior to that we never asked as the house wasn't registered for business purposes.