• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 8:02 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1359 posts
296 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
We went to Sintra yesterday, and Belem and Cascais today. The lines and crowds at some of the sites were insane and it’s not even high season yet.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1328 posts
405 upvotes
Oakville
knuks101 wrote: We went to Sintra yesterday, and Belem and Cascais today. The lines and crowds at some of the sites were insane and it’s not even high season yet.
Lol. Here's a pic I took of the lineup at Jerónimos Monastery in Belem. The pic looks bent b/c I had to take a panorama pic the line was so long. We were there early Nov. last year, shoulder season. Just nuts.
Images
  • IMG_20181104_100117630.jpg
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11594 posts
1813 upvotes
Mississauga
RETD wrote: Lol. Here's a pic I took of the lineup at Jerónimos Monastery in Belem. The pic looks bent b/c I had to take a panorama pic the line was so long. We were there early Nov. last year, shoulder season. Just nuts.
Damn, that's insane. We visited that monastery in June 2017, which is pretty much high season and the lineups weren't anything like that. I wonder if it being close to Easter has resulted in a greater number of tourists there?

The egg tart bakery near the monastery is incredible. We're lucky to have a strong Portuguese community in the GTA, so getting good tarts is pretty easy here, but those tarts were next level.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1359 posts
296 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
The line up at the Pasteis de Belem wasn’t too bad and they’re incredibly efficient at the bakery (they could learn something from that at any Tim Hortons ! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes). We tried the cakes in Lisbon a few days ago, but the Belem ones are so much better and totally worth the wait.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7682 posts
1537 upvotes
We love those, have those in Asia all the time and couldn't find good ones in Lisbon caused the were usually served cold. Didn't know about Pasteis de Belem until we were already back and we even saw the line up, didn't clue in what it was for then and total missed it. Crying Face

Wife still talk about going back someday just for that... and their expressos with milk, can't find anything close to how good they were in Canada or most places around the world.
knuks101 wrote: The line up at the Pasteis de Belem wasn’t too bad and they’re incredibly efficient at the bakery (they could learn something from that at any Tim Hortons ! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes). We tried the cakes in Lisbon a few days ago, but the Belem ones are so much better and totally worth the wait.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2763 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
knuks101 wrote: The line up at the Pasteis de Belem wasn’t too bad and they’re incredibly efficient at the bakery (they could learn something from that at any Tim Hortons ! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes). We tried the cakes in Lisbon a few days ago, but the Belem ones are so much better and totally worth the wait.
Yes so warm straight out of the oven fresh!

Occasionally had some at Pingu Doce where the combo was a fresh sandwich, Sumol pop, tart and an espresso
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1958 posts
933 upvotes
We did a guided tour for a day in Lisbon- with that we bypassed the line so that in itself was worth it!
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34134 posts
7973 upvotes
Ottawa
Motoss wrote: We did a guided tour for a day in Lisbon- with that we bypassed the line so that in itself was worth it!
Yeah, I think there are lots of tours and even online tickets that bypass lines. We have used them all over Europe.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34134 posts
7973 upvotes
Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: Barcelona.
Love Barcelona. been there before and had a fantastic time and know full well I missed so many things. Then again, I really liked Madrid too LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 7, 2008
81 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Can I piggy back on this thread.

I'm going to Lisbon in August, and plan to spend 3 days in the Algarve region. Can someone recommend a good car rental company to use? My plan is to rent a car from Lisbon airport and drive to Lagos to spend 3 nights there, then drive back to Lisbon to spend 5 days in Lisbon before heading back home. Or, should I take the train from the airport to Lagos and rent the car in Lagos, and take the train back to Lisbon? I only need the car while in the Algarve region, I hear we don't need a car in Lisbon. Car rentals seem expensive for 4 days (I need an automatic car, can't drive manual).
Also, should I exchange euros here in Canada or exchange them while in Portugal?

Thanks in advance.
Jul 23, 2008
881 posts
172 upvotes
car rental in Europe ? alway use autoeurope
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34134 posts
7973 upvotes
Ottawa
Tammy101 wrote: Can I piggy back on this thread.

I'm going to Lisbon in August, and plan to spend 3 days in the Algarve region. Can someone recommend a good car rental company to use? My plan is to rent a car from Lisbon airport and drive to Lagos to spend 3 nights there, then drive back to Lisbon to spend 5 days in Lisbon before heading back home. Or, should I take the train from the airport to Lagos and rent the car in Lagos, and take the train back to Lisbon? I only need the car while in the Algarve region, I hear we don't need a car in Lisbon. Car rentals seem expensive for 4 days (I need an automatic car, can't drive manual).
Also, should I exchange euros here in Canada or exchange them while in Portugal?

Thanks in advance.
I used to use Europecar but found they are just passing you on to someone and they won't help if there are any issues. So lately I have been using Sixt https://www.sixt.ca/php/reservation/?pr ... wcB&_rfa=1 and Europecar https://www.europcar.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj ... lsrc=aw.ds You can also try Costco here to see if they have any deals. European car rentals can be expensive, depending what is going on n the area you need to rent plus, automatics are more expensive everywhere. Oh and, make sure you get air conditioning, not all cars have it and it may be extra too..

As for cash, I would take several (3) hundred Euros from here and then use credit card for almost everything else. I also get cash using a debit card if needed. Check with your bank to find out which banks they are affiliated with over there and make sure your PIN is only 4 digits.

Lastly please let us (me) know how you liked it as I have now booked ourselves for next year, Lisbon and Porto.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3684 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
Europcar locations in Portugal are their own branded offices, as far as I know.
You should search for discount codes online, that can bring the price down to be more reasonable. (I usually find an Air France coupon that gives 10-20% off)

They do have by far the most locations - in most smaller towns, they are the only choice.

But in big cities, just shop around.