Portugal - Update

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 8:02 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2780 posts
176 upvotes
RETD wrote: Lol. Here's a pic I took of the lineup at Jerónimos Monastery in Belem. The pic looks bent b/c I had to take a panorama pic the line was so long. We were there early Nov. last year, shoulder season. Just nuts.
That is crazy line-ups. We went to Belem this past January(first week), and there was no lines at all. Was so good, just walked up to pay for ticket, and walked in. Same for most of the other sites. Sintra was the same, no lines what so ever.
The weather was also good, not too cold, still warm and sunny, but not overly hot.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2780 posts
176 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:

Update:
Well, 2019 was out of the question. We are partial to Scenic cruises and they are all sold out so, it had to be for 2020 and it was nearly sold out too so, we booked for next April as they only had a few cabins left. Geez, gotta book a year in advance because they sell out so fast.
Anyway, couldn't make up my minds so we will do them all. LOL We will spend 3 days in Lisbon prior to the Douro River cruise and then 3 days in Madrid after and end with 4 days in Barcelona, then home.
Good choice! We did the same itinerary this xmas/nye, but in reverse. We did 5 days in Madrid, 7 days in Barcelona, then 3 days in Porto, and 4 days in Lisbon. All great destinations. Do spent a day or so within Porto, a very rustic and charming old town. And the good part of the Port vineyards tour is in Porto and not out in the Douro valley. walk the extra 15 mins to Taylor Fladgate port house for a tour and taste there, their port is so much better than the ones along the river town.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2763 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Tammy101 wrote: Can I piggy back on this thread.

I'm going to Lisbon in August, and plan to spend 3 days in the Algarve region. Can someone recommend a good car rental company to use? My plan is to rent a car from Lisbon airport and drive to Lagos to spend 3 nights there, then drive back to Lisbon to spend 5 days in Lisbon before heading back home. Or, should I take the train from the airport to Lagos and rent the car in Lagos, and take the train back to Lisbon? I only need the car while in the Algarve region, I hear we don't need a car in Lisbon. Car rentals seem expensive for 4 days (I need an automatic car, can't drive manual).
Also, should I exchange euros here in Canada or exchange them while in Portugal?

Thanks in advance.
No rental car needed in Lisbon we stayed in Lisbon then went back to the airport to pick up the car from Budget rent a car UK. If you are driving from Lisbon to Algarve get the toll transponder from Budget to make sure you don't get dinged later. Also steer clear of the econo rental car companies like Gold Car etc. they use a ploy to sell u a full tank of fuel and bring it back empty etc. Also try Auto Europe for low rates.
Apr 7, 2008
81 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
GSD wrote: No rental car needed in Lisbon we stayed in Lisbon then went back to the airport to pick up the car from Budget rent a car UK. If you are driving from Lisbon to Algarve get the toll transponder from Budget to make sure you don't get dinged later. Also steer clear of the econo rental car companies like Gold Car etc. they use a ploy to sell u a full tank of fuel and bring it back empty etc. Also try Auto Europe for low rates.
Thank you GSD.

Another question:
I will arrive at Lisbon airport at 2pm, should I:

option 1: Rent a car from Lisbon and drive straight to Lagos upon arrival. I hear it's about 3hrs drive. Is it easy to drive?
option 2: Take a train to Lagos and rent the car the next day in Lagos, this way I can sleep on the train. Is there a direct train from the airport to Lagos? Is it very convenient?

What would you guys recommend?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3684 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
There's a high speed train from Lisbon to Faro. It's a comfortable ride, and if you book ahead, you will probably end up being cheaper than driving when you factor in tolls and gas.
If you want to take the train all the way to Lagos, you'd need to connect to a slow train at Faro.

From Lisbon airport, it's a quick ride on the metro to Oriente station to catch the train.
Apr 7, 2008
81 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
twotterdhc6 wrote: There's a high speed train from Lisbon to Faro. It's a comfortable ride, and if you book ahead, you will probably end up being cheaper than driving when you factor in tolls and gas.
If you want to take the train all the way to Lagos, you'd need to connect to a slow train at Faro.

From Lisbon airport, it's a quick ride on the metro to Oriente station to catch the train.
Thank you so much! That's exactly the information I was looking for.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1284 posts
677 upvotes
Was just there a month ago. Lisbon and Faro . Rode those scooters and bikes everywhere . Transit was easy to figure out too. Stayed @ an Ibis. 90$ a night with free breaky in the morning
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1121 posts
41 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote: There's a high speed train from Lisbon to Faro. It's a comfortable ride, and if you book ahead, you will probably end up being cheaper than driving when you factor in tolls and gas.

If I'm not mistaken, you'd need to transfer at Tunes and not Faro.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1121 posts
41 upvotes
Tammy101 wrote: Thank you GSD.

Another question:

option 1: Rent a car from Lisbon and drive straight to Lagos upon arrival. I hear it's about 3hrs drive. Is it easy to drive?
option 2: Take a train to Lagos and rent the car the next day in Lagos, this way I can sleep on the train. Is there a direct train from the airport to Lagos? Is it very convenient?

Tammy101, if I was you I'd rent a car and do the 3hr drive using the toll highway. A very very easy drive. A bit more expensive than the train or bus but worth it.

I'd avoid the train considering you'll have to transfer at Tunes

If you are looking to save money then try the bus. A comfortable coach that will allow you to sleep and no transfer involved.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2396 posts
1512 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tammy101 wrote: Thank you GSD.

Another question:

I would rent a car -it’s a simple straight drive to Lagos.

The train would take you all the way East to Faro.

With a car you can get around between the towns > Albufeira > Lagos> Sagres etc. Most hotels have free parking. You could also day trip to Seville if time permits.

Love the Algarve- enjoy!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1121 posts
41 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: I would rent a car -it’s a simple straight drive to Lagos.

The train would take you all the way East to Faro.

With a car you can get around between the towns > Albufeira > Lagos> Sagres etc. Most hotels have free parking. You could also day trip to Seville if time permits.

Love the Algarve- enjoy!
Like I posted above, the train from Lisbon doesn't take you all the way East to Faro.

If taking any train from Lisbon to Lagos you would get off at Tunes and then take another train to from Tunes to Lagos.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2396 posts
1512 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fogo wrote: Like I posted above, the train from Lisbon doesn't take you all the way East to Faro.

If taking any train from Lisbon to Lagos you would get off at Tunes and then take another train to from Tunes to Lagos.
Regardless I would still recommend a car to explore the smaller towns along the coastline.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1121 posts
41 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Regardless I would still recommend a car to explore the smaller towns along the coastline.
I agree
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2006
2008 posts
6 upvotes
Home
How much did this trip run you for 8 days? Can you post your itenary please? Can anyone shed some light on going to Portugal mid September. Thank you
Apr 26, 2010
716 posts
74 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pensioner wrote: How much did this trip run you for 8 days? Can you post your itenary please? Can anyone shed some light on going to Portugal mid September. Thank you
+1, looking for some ideas but i am planning to go around November, heard its cooler at that time and more rain
What are some must see?
Also from everyone's feedback, renting a car seems best when going south