Portugal - Update

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 8:02 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1958 posts
933 upvotes
RedLego wrote: +1, looking for some ideas but i am planning to go around November, heard its cooler at that time and more rain
What are some must see?
Also from everyone's feedback, renting a car seems best when going south
South...do you like beaches?
Apr 26, 2010
714 posts
73 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Motoss wrote: South...do you like beaches?
The g/f enjoys the beach.
Planning for 2 weeks. Lisbon & Porto + day trips around the area. Possibly rent a car to algarve (Lagos or Faros?). Only starting to research now, so any recommendation will be helpful.
Apr 26, 2010
714 posts
73 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sorry for the bump. Looking to finalize some details for my trip. Any feedback with regards to car rental companies such as Sixt & Europcar?
Mar 8, 2004
235 posts
71 upvotes
Kanata
RedLego wrote: Sorry for the bump. Looking to finalize some details for my trip. Any feedback with regards to car rental companies such as Sixt & Europcar?
I rented a one way from Budget Porto to Lisbon for 16 days in June. Used a Perkopolis code, cheapest I could find.
Oct 11, 2012
142 posts
12 upvotes
KELOWNA
Care to share Perkopolis code? Or any other rental codes - Thanks
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34090 posts
7930 upvotes
Ottawa
smp2010 wrote: Care to share Perkopolis code? Or any other rental codes - Thanks
Here is a site I have used in the past
http://www.rentalcodes.com/
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 26, 2010
714 posts
73 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Any feedback on Sixt & Europcar car rental?
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34090 posts
7930 upvotes
Ottawa
RedLego wrote: Any feedback on Sixt & Europcar car rental?
I have rented from both when I was doing business travel. In my opinion, they are both reputable companies.
Not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for.
One thong to remember, most European cars are standard shift. Automatics are extra as are cars with air conditioning. It can add up real quick.
Also, if you are thinking nav system (I highly recommend it as road signage is often truncated names , missing or undecipherable), make sure it is in English. It may be cheaper to buy a Tom Tom with European maps than renting from the rental agency.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1977 posts
1933 upvotes
Waze and Google maps are perfectly fine for getting you around if you have sufficient data. I bought a 10GB sim card for 25 Euros, so that wasn't an issue. Both apps got me to and through Lisbon as well as all kinds of rural areas on the way to Spain without missing a beat. Easy to find gas stations, restaurants, and even the road tolls were properly calculated. Depending where you're going in Portugal, read up on how to pay the tolls. There are some highways that are transponder-only so you have to register your plate ahead of time. Most others you can pay with cash or credit card along the way.

As for renting a car, I don't know what the experiences of the poster above me are however I haven't rented a car in Europe, or anywhere else in the world, in the last 15 years that didn't have air conditioning as a standard feature. If some company was trying to charge extra for that I'd be happily walking over to any of their competitors.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34090 posts
7930 upvotes
Ottawa
13inches wrote: Waze and Google maps are perfectly fine for getting you around if you have sufficient data. I bought a 10GB sim card for 25 Euros, so that wasn't an issue. Both apps got me to and through Lisbon as well as all kinds of rural areas on the way to Spain without missing a beat. Easy to find gas stations, restaurants, and even the road tolls were properly calculated. Depending where you're going in Portugal, read up on how to pay the tolls. There are some highways that are transponder-only so you have to register your plate ahead of time. Most others you can pay with cash or credit card along the way.

As for renting a car, I don't know what the experiences of the poster above me are however I haven't rented a car in Europe, or anywhere else in the world, in the last 15 years that didn't have air conditioning as a standard feature. If some company was trying to charge extra for that I'd be happily walking over to any of their competitors.
If you are looking at the cheapest car, you get a basic. Anything more will be an upgrade. By all means though, walk to a competitor and pay the walk up rate.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1121 posts
40 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I have rented from both when I was doing business travel. In my opinion, they are both reputable companies.
Not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for.
One thong to remember, most European cars are standard shift. Automatics are extra as are cars with air conditioning. It can add up real quick.
Also, if you are thinking nav system (I highly recommend it as road signage is often truncated names , missing or undecipherable), make sure it is in English. It may be cheaper to buy a Tom Tom with European maps than renting from the rental agency.
I agree. Both are reputable. I'd stay away from smaller firms who tend to use older cars and pick you up at the airport.
I just got back two weeks ago and I rented from Guerin. I rented a compact car which turned into a Renault Megane. Perfect size for my family and I but I was offered to upgrade for an additional charge which I turned down..

A GPS is a must but our car came with a built in sat nav system.
As for the tolls, I never activate the transponder. I simply pay at a post office, however keep in mind that when you use a highway with electronic tolls it takes up to 3 days for the charges
to show up at the post office.
Last edited by fogo on Sep 14th, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1121 posts
40 upvotes
13inches wrote: Waze and Google maps are perfectly fine for getting you around if you have sufficient data. I bought a 10GB sim card for 25 Euros, so that wasn't an issue. Both apps got me to and through Lisbon as well as all kinds of rural areas on the way to Spain without missing a beat. Easy to find gas stations, restaurants, and even the road tolls were properly calculated. Depending where you're going in Portugal, read up on how to pay the tolls. There are some highways that are transponder-only so you have to register your plate ahead of time. Most others you can pay with cash or credit card along the way.

I did the same thing . I bought a 30 gig sim card from meo for peanuts which allowed to use Google maps, waze, make calls home and so on.
Nov 11, 2008
10 posts
5 upvotes
RedLego wrote: Any feedback on Sixt & Europcar car rental?
This past May we rented from Cael thru https://www.selloffvacations.com/car-rentals.asp based on an old RFD post.
It was much cheaper than any other company at the time. Did not pay for NAV system that was extra $$ but was included with the car (BMW1 compact car).
There is no Cael counter at Lisbon airport but the rep will meet you at a designated spot and shuttle you to the office. We rented the transponders since we were driving to the Algarve. Everything worked out well. For data, we bought a 10 euro Lycamobile SIM from FNAC (at the airport).