• Dec 12th, 2017 1:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 13, 2013
19 posts
3 upvotes
Markham

POS system

have a small restaurant,looking for a pos system to receive a debit payment,any suggestion ?
Thanks.
16 replies
Jun 21, 2017
27 posts
50 upvotes
You might lose customers if your debit system is a POS but what do I know...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2888 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tim321 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:23 am
have a small restaurant,looking for a pos system to receive a debit payment,any suggestion ?
Thanks.
Is it a full sit down restaurant? How extensive is the menu?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2006
1025 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
This POS thread...
McDealer: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Wolfman: Holy s*** , it's McDealer!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16684 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
How confident are you in the business? You can go with one of the big guys but will likely have to sign a 5 year term and rent equipment from them. That being said, their rates are better than something like Square where the is minimal investment, no contracts but higher per transaction fee.
Nov 26, 2012
1 posts
Richmond, BC
I could suggest something but it may depend on your needs.
Mar 23, 2005
118 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
got my full pos from a little place called AscotPC in Calgary, they shipped it to me. 403-279-4455
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3798 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
I use dream payments. Very simple application, satisfied with its services
Jul 12, 2005
460 posts
93 upvotes
Peterborough
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 5:37 pm
I use dream payments. Very simple application, satisfied with its services
The reviews seem mixed on the App Store. Can you elaborate a bit? I’m thinking of using them for debit transactions. Would I have to also accept credit cards with them as well?

Edit: also, how easy is it to use? I have a few people at my office that are not exactly tech savvy. Any issues with connections between the dreampayments evice and the phone/tablet you use?
Never knock on Death's door. Right the bell and run. Death hates that.
Jun 18, 2017
214 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
You're going to have to make two decisions here, because certain POS vendors only work with certain payment processors.

So I would choose your payment processor first (or if you've already chosen one find out who it is), and then a POS software that can work with it. For example one place I worked at switched to Mercury/Vantiv from Moneris. Their old POS software (PC America) couldn't work with Vantiv in Canada, so they had to switch POS software as well (AccuPOS). The odd thing is that the software itself isn't usually "incompatible" it's the various EMV pinpads, it's a whole weird kettle of fish that I hope internet payments comes along for and clears up (e.g. Square).

Note this is mostly because of Canada and the differences we enjoy from the US
That's my name...
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3798 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
blitzkrieg wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:28 pm
The reviews seem mixed on the App Store. Can you elaborate a bit? I’m thinking of using them for debit transactions. Would I have to also accept credit cards with them as well?

Edit: also, how easy is it to use? I have a few people at my office that are not exactly tech savvy. Any issues with connections between the dreampayments evice and the phone/tablet you use?
I would not recommend it. I constantly get connectivity problems.

You can use it for debit and crrdit transactions. The app is straight forward but a pain to constantly reconnect.

I'm going to call technical support tomorrow. The terminal and the phone constantly needs to be paired because the app will automatically sign you out after a certain timeframe of inactivity. When that happens, you havr to enter your log in and password again and wait for it to pair up again. This can take up to 30 seconds. That's a long 30 seconds for the customer to wait for when they are just standing there to pay.
Jul 12, 2005
460 posts
93 upvotes
Peterborough
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:58 pm
I would not recommend it. I constantly get connectivity problems.

You can use it for debit and crrdit transactions. The app is straight forward but a pain to constantly reconnect.

I'm going to call technical support tomorrow. The terminal and the phone constantly needs to be paired because the app will automatically sign you out after a certain timeframe of inactivity. When that happens, you havr to enter your log in and password again and wait for it to pair up again. This can take up to 30 seconds. That's a long 30 seconds for the customer to wait for when they are just standing there to pay.
. Oh wow that does sound like a PITA. So you have to re-login every transaction? If I had staff using the machine they’d have to know my password? That seems silly/dangerous. What device are you pairing the POS device to? Thanks for the comments nemesis.
Never knock on Death's door. Right the bell and run. Death hates that.