Automotive

Possible to add air conditioning to a car?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2007 6:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes

Possible to add air conditioning to a car?

So currently I am looking to get an civic hatchback. Most of the ones I see are without air conditioning. However, the heat during summer really sucks, and I definitely need A/C for comfort.

So I am wondering, is it possible to add/install A/C to a civic? There's probably going to be lots of parts so I'm not even going to try it myself. Any places will do this? Sadly I doubt Honda will do this since it's way too old.

Or is there some sort of cooling device I can put in the car? Cause lowering the window won't help in summer.

Thanks
10 replies
Oct 3, 2007
4 posts
Winnipeg
gamer123 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2007 1:21 am
So currently I am looking to get an civic hatchback. Most of the ones I see are without air conditioning. However, the heat during summer really sucks, and I definitely need A/C for comfort.

So I am wondering, is it possible to add/install A/C to a civic? There's probably going to be lots of parts so I'm not even going to try it myself. Any places will do this? Sadly I doubt Honda will do this since it's way too old.

Or is there some sort of cooling device I can put in the car? Cause lowering the window won't help in summer.

Thanks
It can be done but won't be cheap. In most provinces you need to be licensed to work with air conditioning in cars. Some wrecking yards install systems removed from wrecks. A good automotive A/C shop could also install it for you. Count on $800+ to do the job.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
Seriously not worth. Either look for one with A/C or put your windows down
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6700 posts
186 upvotes
Someone said 800+, I would say it's going to cost you over 1000 for it. Not worth it because there's a chance it's not going to be done correctly and you'll get a leak etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6743 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
If your going to get it done do it at the dealership. DO NOT TRUST YOUR AVERAGE MECHANIC WITH THE ELECTRICAL ASPECT OF THIS JOB.

My friend had a neon and his mechanic put in A/C and the technical side of installing it wasn't the issue. Constant electrical problems made them give up.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Dec 31, 1969
I wouldn't even bother putting a A/C unit in a used car. Maybe if I were restoring a car then yeah but not worth the money. Either try to find one with A/C of just roll down your windows like any other person would.
Jan 13, 2007
321 posts
14 upvotes
Barrie
I'll echo that sentiment. Dont Do It!!! I made the mistake of buying a car w/out air conditioning as a young man. After a couple of years I looked in to getting air but too much hassle, too much money, reliability concerns.

Buy a car that already has it.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2003
1234 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a brand new Toyota without air conditioning once due to financial restraints when I was young, but later on I was in a much better financial situation so I asked my friend who lived in the States to call the toyota dealerships down there to see what was the cheapest price to have one installed for me. Sure enough the price was almost half in the States and even with the exchange rate of around 1.25X at that time I went for it and saved about $700 after tax. Maybe you could try calling a few Honda dealerships in Buffalo to see if they much cheaper down there. Just make the appointment and go down and spend half a day there to get it done. They did it for me in just 3 hours! Just me two cents!
United We stand Victory in our Hand!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks a lot for the comments so far. I of course prefer one that came with A/C already, saves me all the trouble. But the model is old so A/C is rare, and ones with A/C don't seem to meet my other expectations.

I'll probably see if I can get used parts, as some people want their car to lose weight.
× < >