• May 9th, 2017 12:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1921 posts
285 upvotes

Is it possible to get a puppy just for weekend

I know ... a pet is for life...
but just wondering if it is possible to have a cute pup for week end..
my 5 year old boy loves puppies and we are not ready to keep a pup with us due to inexperience and apartment living ( though a pup is allowed)
18 replies
Feb 27, 2017
17 posts
8 upvotes
This question/idea is rediculous.

A, go to any park there will be lots of dogs just ask owner if your child can pet it first

B, go to pet store that has puppies and look at them there

C, buy an electronic dog from the source they are under $100 and 5yr old's are dumb you can tell him it's real
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5150 posts
658 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Asker123 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 12:25 am
my 5 year old boy loves puppies and we are not ready to keep a pup with us due to inexperience and apartment living ( though a pup is allowed)
The only thing I can think of is the UberPuppies, but it's only one day and it's not necessarily puppies, but all kinds of shelter dogs.

There are a few "rent a pup" businesses that tried to get that kind of thing going but I don't believe any of them still exist. Why not volunteer at the shelter with your son, to walk dogs?

Oh, and stay away from/do not support pet stores that sell puppies and kittens (banned in Toronto I believe, if that's where you are from).
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18192 posts
3311 upvotes
Thornhill
Have fun pulling the puppy away from the hands of the 5 year old. I was at a friends who had a friendly cat during the holidays and their friends 5 year old attached herself to the cat and wouldn't let go at the end of the day. We ended up staying up past midnight and she fell asleep and finally pulled her away from the cat. We video recorded it for future purposes :D

Totally chill cat though, let the kiddo do what she wanted all evening.
Mar 3, 2011
447 posts
173 upvotes
I had a friend who ended up taking care of a dog from the humane society on a part time basis, you can always start there.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2345 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
You can borrow my 4 year old Doberman.
He'd tolerate a 5 year old screaming, grabbing and touching him .... plus, he doesn't crap in the house or ingest small toys (that a puppy would find and eat!).

Puppies on the other hand, are skiddish, require constant supervision , shit and pee all over the place, don't know how to walk on a leash, need to be taken out to pee every 3 hours, eat & swallow anything it can ... not to mention the obvious, like children, dogs in general requires STABILITY and CONSISTENCY. New environments for any dog, let alone a puppy who knows nothing, is often very stressful and can set off more behavioural issues ...

Puppies are NOT FUN!
You have a young child; it's very difficult to manage both.
This is the worst idea, and I hope I've shed some light on the topic for you.

Don't take your 5 year old to the dog park either; he can easily get knocked down (dogs of all ages and sizes can be very clumsy and rough!) and many haven't been exposed to children - their movements, sounds, size ect can be a huge trigger for dogs. The dog park
isn't a place for young children to safely interact with dogs.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
Asker123 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 12:25 am
Why not start small?
Ask a friend or neighbour who has a dog. Ask them if your little boy can accompany them when they walk the dog (summer and winter), pickup the dog poop, the feed the dog, etc.
Once your 5 year old understands responsibility, he will probably not interested in dogs anymore.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3520 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto
Go visit someone with a puppy for a weekend. We were just staying with family who had two dogs and my son loved it but we're quite happy not to have dogs of our own!

You say yourself you don't have experience so please don't take one home for the weekend just because your 5 year old wants one. You CAN tell a 5 year old "no" and the idea of walking dogs is a great one if you and your son are ready for that responsibility.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1921 posts
285 upvotes
Well yeah , I get it
My 5 year old is very active kid himself.. I think it will be difficult to manage 2 super energetic dudes....
I need to drop the idea....I realized it already but thought of asking you folks....
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1624 posts
166 upvotes
YouthInAsia wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 3:46 am
This question/idea is rediculous.

A, go to any park there will be lots of dogs just ask owner if your child can pet it first

B, go to pet store that has puppies and look at them there

C, buy an electronic dog from the source they are under $100 and 5yr old's are dumb you can tell him it's real
Better yet go to a shelter and look at dogs there.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
A very bad idea - both for the child and for the puppy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36343 posts
2364 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 4:04 pm
Have fun pulling the puppy away from the hands of the 5 year old. I was at a friends who had a friendly cat during the holidays and their friends 5 year old attached herself to the cat and wouldn't let go at the end of the day. We ended up staying up past midnight and she fell asleep and finally pulled her away from the cat. We video recorded it for future purposes :D

Totally chill cat though, let the kiddo do what she wanted all evening.
That's like my cat. She'll just sit there and mew.
She should be a therapy cat!
Mar 27, 2015
660 posts
158 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Listen to Mrs. Potato above. You stated that your family was not able or interested to have a puppy at this time. Eventually the little guy will move on to something else, I would imagine. Please don't cave.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20768 posts
1970 upvotes
Think how miserable the dog would be if a service for rental dogs existed ...

It's analogous to lending your child to a different pair of adults every few days...

Do a trip to a dog park and humane society :)
Apr 12, 2017
108 posts
31 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:21 pm
Don't take your 5 year old to the dog park either; he can easily get knocked down (dogs of all ages and sizes can be very clumsy and rough!) and many haven't been exposed to children - their movements, sounds, size ect can be a huge trigger for dogs. The dog park
isn't a place for young children to safely interact with dogs.
I agree. Last month, at the dog park, I witnessed a grown man get knocked on his ass by three labs torpedoing after each other at full speed. Needless to say, it made everyone's day. :D

Not to mention the countless times I've seen a kid eat it when they thought they could outrun a dog lol