Pets

Is it possible to get a puppy just for weekend

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2017 12:18 pm
Apr 25, 2011
589 posts
201 upvotes
British Columbia
Please avoid dog parks when you have children unless your children understand dogs and their body language; make sure they know how to respectfully approach a dog and when to back off. This means the kids should be older and used to dogs. They also must ask before ever petting a dog.

Dogs can also knock children over. I was talking with someone that said their dog knocked over their daughter and broke her leg!

Bringing a child not used to dogs to a dog park is a terrible idea and can set up some pretty traumatizing situations. Dogs pick up on fear and they pick up on when someone isn't acting "normal". They don't like either of those things and can react negatively.

Most importantly, dogs not used to children can fear them -- and even if they have grown up around kids, they can react negatively to strangers. Children are different; they are small, loud and make sudden movements. Many dogs are not used to that. Where there's fear there can be aggression -- ranging from warning barks, to chasing fleeing children, to biting. This simply creates a negative experiences for everyone.

Long story short: Children and dog parks do not mix.

As far as the initial idea of borrowing puppy goes, well that's a terrible idea. The poor puppy -- in its most formative months it is shuffled off in some kind of service to people that want the experience of a owning a dog? Heh, I can see why no such thing exists. A puppy needs firm guidance and an adherence to routine within its pack.

If anything, look into adopting a cat. They are less work in general.
Jul 5, 2004
21991 posts
1944 upvotes
Perhaps you should volunteer at the Humane Society and take your 5 year old with you when you do it. Then he can see lots of dogs
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Mar 19, 2013
524 posts
134 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Our local SPCA is always looking for people to come to the shelter to play, walk, etc. the animals.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3695 posts
476 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Shaner wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 2:54 pm
Perhaps you should volunteer at the Humane Society and take your 5 year old with you when you do it. Then he can see lots of dogs
+1000000000000