Shopping Discussion

Is it possible to get refund on recurring credit card payment?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2016 5:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3169 posts
102 upvotes

Is it possible to get refund on recurring credit card payment?

I signed up for membership on a website, and it was on automatic recurring credit card payment cycle. I forgot to contact them to cancel the recurring billing cycle and my credit card got charged today for $30 for the next month service.

Any way I can have this charge removed? Anyone had similar experiences?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1777 posts
584 upvotes
Joshray wrote: I signed up for membership on a website, and it was on automatic recurring credit card payment cycle. I forgot to contact them to cancel the recurring billing cycle and my credit card got charged today for $30 for the next month service.

I think it'd be best to ask the company who charged you and simply explain that you intended to cancel and made a mistake. The longer you wait, the less likely they'll be to refund you.

I did the same thing with Equifax in the past and they refunded it with no hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7432 posts
888 upvotes
GTA
As mentioned, contact the company and see if they'll refund you.

You can't do a chargeback as you weren't billed in error.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47379 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
If they don't agree for a full refund, then ask for a prorated cancellation. At least that way they might retain your business in the future with good customer service but also make a bit of money for the service you had available to use but didn't use.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2614 posts
1713 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Joshray wrote: I signed up for membership on a website, and it was on automatic recurring credit card payment cycle. I forgot to contact them to cancel the recurring billing cycle and my credit card got charged today for $30 for the next month service.

As others have suggested, contact the company in question. They may or may not refund in whole or in part, if you ask nicely. You're not in any situation to demand anything since you knew it was recurring and it was you who forgot to cancel. You're definitely not in any position to ask for a chargeback on the credit card unless you could prove it was a fraudulent charge (which it wasn't).

I recently had a similar situation with Amazon Prime but cancelled via their online system and received a full refund because I had not used their services since my free trial ended.

Good luck.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3169 posts
102 upvotes
Yep, they did refund me after contacting them!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2614 posts
1713 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Joshray wrote: Yep, they did refund me after contacting them!
Tada! :)

And that, my friend, is why I'm always amazed at people posting here first, instead of asking the company/person/government/etc their question first.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3169 posts
102 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Tada! :)

And that, my friend, is why I'm always amazed at people posting here first, instead of asking the company/person/government/etc their question first.
... I contacted them via email before posting here. I just had a feeling they wouldn't refund me.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11832 posts
3168 upvotes
GTA
ALLCAPS wrote: Tada! :)

Sometimes people need to hear how to approach certain situations.