Computers & Electronics

Possible to hook a Bluetooth transmitter to a pre-out on my soundbar.

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 12:06 am
[OP]
May 6, 2013
16 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver

Possible to hook a Bluetooth transmitter to a pre-out on my soundbar.

So I'd like to Bluetooth enable my soundbar but have no headphone or audio out ports at all but I do have a number speaker pre-outs as they are labled. Any have any experience with that.
I use a Yamaha 4100 soundbar to route my tv, Xbox one and Shaw cable box.
4 replies
Mar 8, 2013
150 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Is this the soundbar (YSP-4100)? https://europe.yamaha.com/files/downloa ... _en2-1.pdf

Looks like it has 7.1 pre-outs. You can use these as audio out, but the volume level will be controlled by the soundbar (unless there's an option to disable that). The manual says (pg 34) use the "Sound Out" menu and select "Pre Out".

What kind of inputs does your Bluetooth transmitter have? If it only has a 3.5 mm audio input, use a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA adapter / cable and connect that to the Front L/R pre-outs on the soundbar. Set the listening mode to stereo.
[OP]
May 6, 2013
16 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Yes it's the YSP 4100 and at this time I have neither a Bluetooth transmitter or headphones, just want to make sure it's feasible.
So you think the signal a pre-out puts out is suitable but it would be a variable level?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11979 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
darryldmbcgt wrote:
May 14th, 2019 6:24 pm
Yes it's the YSP 4100 and at this time I have neither a Bluetooth transmitter or headphones, just want to make sure it's feasible.
So you think the signal a pre-out puts out is suitable but it would be a variable level?
It doesn't say in the manual but I would assume it's volume controlled.

The BT headphones would also have a volume control likely.

Be aware that normal BT headphones have a delay. You need Apt X LL headphones and transmitter. Here's an example: https://www.costco.ca/MEE-audio-Connect ... 16259.html
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
May 6, 2013
16 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Thx.
It does look like it all should work but since I've been researching all the different proprietary codecs everything uses I'm just not sure which way to go. Would love to get something to work with the Xbox one x but that's another proprietary thing as well.
Sell the Xbox and get a Nvidia Shield? Apparently it doesn't use Qualcomm Aptx at all because they're competitors..
I'm pretty sure anything I get will be landfill in a few years because it will be outdated.
And to think I just sold my Koss pro4 AAA's I had for 35 years because I had nothing to plug them into anymore...
If I keep the Xbox I may just get the new SteelSeries Arctis 9X which hooks up natively to the Xbox and does Bluetooth (albeit with the ancient SBC codec)
Anyways, thx again. Cheers