Food & Drink

Possible LCBO strike May 18. Update: Chaos & Mayhem Averted. No Strike.

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2013 7:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12696 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 9th, 2013 12:10 am
This is all media hype. There is always a strong strike mandate. It really should be a 100% because anyone who votes against it is an idiot. But again the masses don't understand collective bargaining. They also don't understand the issues or what LCBO workers face or they would be posting stupid comments here.
Enlighten us on the issues LCBO workers face. Please, I'd love to know what an unskilled retail worker has to deal with that earns them multiple times the wage of any other retail worker.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
All I really need is Beer. I have enough hard liquor in my wet bar in the basement.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6002 posts
133 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 9th, 2013 12:10 am
This is all media hype. There is always a strong strike mandate. It really should be a 100% because anyone who votes against it is an idiot. But again the masses don't understand collective bargaining. They also don't understand the issues or what LCBO workers face or they would be posting stupid comments here.
It's true they don't understand collective bargaining. In their homelands, they are told it's no big deal when employees are jumping to their deaths or being crushed by a collapsing factory. These are the types of working conditions, they'd like to import, and why they get so upset at the idea that workers actually have the right to negotiate better wages and working conditions.
"He's always criticized us for suggesting that 'thugs be hugged,' and I think it's time for this thug to get a hug."

Mr. A. Vaughn
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6002 posts
133 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
May 9th, 2013 12:21 am
Enlighten us on the issues LCBO workers face. Please, I'd love to know what an unskilled retail worker has to deal with that earns them multiple times the wage of any other retail worker.
You should join a union, or try to create one instead of whining about making a fraction what LCBO workers make.
"He's always criticized us for suggesting that 'thugs be hugged,' and I think it's time for this thug to get a hug."

Mr. A. Vaughn
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1100 posts
73 upvotes
The last near-strike resulting in record sales. I'm sure this one will be no different. Agreement reached right before the deadline. If not, make room for privately owned liquor stores....I hope.
Jun 3, 2006
180 posts
1 upvote
Piro21 wrote:
In the last year alone we had to call the cops two times because a group of drunkies threatens to beat/kill me after work and yes they did waited for me outside the store. Not to mention how much verbal abuse we get when we deny a sale to someone who doesn't have I.D. or are intoxicated. Too much crazy stories of how far people will go for their boozes.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
One of my good pals at the local pub is a 20+ employee of the Beer Store, saw him and mentioned it to him tonight and he was almost comically convinced that they are definitely going to strike this time.. I don't have the stats or background details to argue him on it, so I let it be..

We shall see
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3864 posts
172 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
May 10th, 2013 4:40 am
One of my good pals at the local pub is a 20+ employee of the Beer Store, saw him and mentioned it to him tonight and he was almost comically convinced that they are definitely going to strike this time.. I don't have the stats or background details to argue him on it, so I let it be..

We shall see
Beer Store is private and owned by Molsons and Labatt. So in a sense there is foreign competition/owners! But the Beer Store is a different beast altogether.

I may pick up an extra bottle of wine or 2, but I'll be on holiday anyways until the end of May.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
7665 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote:
May 10th, 2013 5:45 am
Beer Store is private and owned by Molsons and Labatt. So in a sense there is foreign competition/owners! But the Beer Store is a different beast altogether.

I may pick up an extra bottle of wine or 2, but I'll be on holiday anyways until the end of May.
My buddy who used to work there said they look at LCBO workers as whiney, overprivileged, who can't handle drunks or hustle (how many times, has there been a slow, inept cashier at the LCBO.. the Beer Store, they're flying you outta there).
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3417 posts
393 upvotes
Aurora
at1212b wrote:
May 10th, 2013 7:48 am
My buddy who used to work there said they look at LCBO workers as whiney, overprivileged, who can't handle drunks or hustle (how many times, has there been a slow, inept cashier at the LCBO.. the Beer Store, they're flying you outta there).
Beer Store employees are far worse than their LCBO counterparts. In almost every Beer Store I've ever been in, across the GTA, the employees have been curt, slow and are surly. Time to open these retail establishments up to proper competition (and not BS little "Ontario" wine stores sprinkled around).
That's the end of my rant.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4250 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
Its coming.....I still got lots of spirits at home so they can strike.
Piro21 wrote:
Its mostly over the shifts they work rather than their hourly rates. Most of their staff is part time and a 15-20 year waiting period before they are even considered to full time. The part time shifts are said to be very inconsistent so finding another part time job cant happen as high availability is demanded. IMO if I had to work part time retail again I'd rather work a lower paid traditional one with more consistent hours than lcbo.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
rayray13 wrote:
May 10th, 2013 12:54 pm
More fuel for the fire...

"Union to file wage discrimination suit against LCBO"

For anyone curious, here's a link to some info on LCBO salaries: link
^^^ those salaries are scandalous. Even Wal-Mart store managers are hard pressed to be much over $100k, and they certainly manage a far more sophisticated and important operation than LCBOs.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2576 posts
1137 upvotes
Ottawa
Mark77 wrote:
May 15th, 2013 5:26 pm
^^^ those salaries are scandalous. Even Wal-Mart store managers are hard pressed to be much over $100k, and they certainly manage a far more sophisticated and important operation than LCBOs.
Obscene. Run more like a fiefdom than a business.

In spite of the inconvenience to the public and business, I hope they strike. Maybe the dismantling of LCBO will happen in my lifetime.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Dec 19, 2005
310 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
I do sampling in LCBOs and my agency received a message that all in store tastings are cancelled this weekend due to the potential strike.
2012 prize wins: Dewalt 2012 hat, Big Decision prize pack, $10 Mark's GC... I've been pretty lazy about contesting in 2012!
2011 prize wins: $10 Mark's Work Wearhouse gift certificate, Starbucks coffee sampler (canada.com), ELLE Magazine/Sony Music trip to see Foster the People in Tokyo, Japan!
× < >