Computers & Electronics

Is it possible to mask a Canadian IP address and make it look like a US one?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2012 2:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34270 posts
6252 upvotes

Is it possible to mask a Canadian IP address and make it look like a US one?

A lot of the shows on the US networks can be watched via streaming video but the contents are only available to US residents. Is it possible to mask a Canadian IP address and make it look like a US IP address?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
98 upvotes
Yes, easiest way is a proxy server. They change all the time, but you can find massive lists of them if you search. Do some reading first about how to use the proxy server - requires some temporary changes to your connection settings. Some people mention Tor as an option, but don't abuse the Tor network.

However what you're trying to do won't work. Proxy servers are too s-l-o-w, and generally don't permit high-volume use like video or music streaming.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34270 posts
6252 upvotes
Aske001 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 10:48 am
Yes, easiest way is a proxy server. They change all the time, but you can find massive lists of them if you search. Do some reading first about how to use the proxy server - requires some temporary changes to your connection settings. Some people mention Tor as an option, but don't abuse the Tor network.

However what you're trying to do won't work. Proxy servers are too s-l-o-w, and generally don't permit high-volume use like video or music streaming.
Thanks for the helpful response.
darius_m5 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 11:10 am
*cough cough torrents
Sorry I didn't get what you meant, was it through the use of existing applications that I can mask my IP address?
Feb 4, 2006
997 posts
TO
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 11:17 am

Sorry I didn't get what you meant, was it through the use of existing applications that I can mask my IP address?
He means you should torrent the show.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1125 posts
18 upvotes
You could subscribe to a vpn company like vpnaccounts.com but they are quite $$$
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 11:17 am

I meant that you can probably find your show somewhere online, specifically some torrent tracker. Most popular shows can be downloaded online. Just delete them after 24 hours if you're afraid of legal issues.

This is probably a better alternative than to watch an HD NBC stream being routed through a proxy (wouldn't that be Slow??), unless you are willing to pay for a fast proxy service. If it's a live stream you're after, then disregard the torrent idea, and look for some good proxy or vpn service.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
388 upvotes
Scarborough
Try either http://kproxy.com or http://turbohide.com both are simple websites, you enter your URL [the site address] and click "go" (ok, you'll get two popup's and a couple ad's but after you clear them, it's fine)

If you need more help - with kproxy - PM me and I can try to help more.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
simple and free.

hotspot shield google and that and install it.
i use it to watch videos on nbc and hulu. works like a charm.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34270 posts
6252 upvotes
Thanks everyone. I will try these out and see if I can ween my family away from basic cable TV.
Sep 5, 2010
1 posts
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 10:15 am
A lot of the shows on the US networks can be watched via streaming video but the contents are only available to US residents. Is it possible to mask a Canadian IP address and make it look like a US IP address?
Hi,
It's possible with VPN technology. It's masking your real IP and replace it with the US one.
I have used this service http://vpnprivacy.com/usa-vpn.html for such purposes in Canada and in my trip to Europe.
I can watch any "only USA" shows. Like ABC videos, Netflix and HULU.
Hope it will help you too.

Cheers.
Dec 26, 2012
40 posts
11 upvotes
Burlington, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 10:15 am
This site does exactly what you are asking for http://www.unblock-us.com/
× < >