Shopping Discussion

Is it possible Ncix sold me an opened box item as new?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2010 2:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore

Is it possible Ncix sold me an opened box item as new?

So I went to pick up an external enclosure from Ncix that I recently bought. As the guy at the store handed me the bag with the enclosure inside, I said thanks and walk out the store. Then I looked inside the bag and notice that the shrink wrap on the box is kind of loose. The box itself looks fine, but normally when I go and buy new products, the shrink wrap completely wraps around the box with no air or gap. It's not loose at all if that makes any sense. Immediately I went back inside and the guy told me that it's new and not to worry about it. It's the last one that they have and apparently the product is now out of stock. I took his word and went home. I still haven't opened it yet. If I open it, then they'll charge me a 15% restocking fee if I return it within 15 days. If I don't open it, I can still get a full refund if I return it within 15 days. I admit, I'm a bit skeptical right now and that's why I created this thread. I also want to say that I'm not against buying used or open products. I just don't want to pay full price or bought something thinking that it's new when in fact it's been opened or used. Any comments on this?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Could have been on display.. especially if it is their house brand NXgear or whatever. An external hard drive enclosure is a fairly simple piece of electronics though - if I were you I would keep it as long as it works properly and isn't obviously dirty/damaged/broken.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
GeeCee wrote: Could have been on display.. especially if it is their house brand NXgear or whatever. An external hard drive enclosure is a fairly simple piece of electronics though - if I were you I would keep it as long as it works properly and isn't obviously dirty/damaged/broken.
It's a Kingwin enclosure. How does the issue of shrink wrap relates to being a display unit? It doesn't appear like the shrink wrap has been opened before. It just doesn't wrap around the box tightly, hence "loose". I guess it's always possible for Ncix to shrink wrap their boxes, but I'm not sure if stores even have such a equipment in place.
Aug 1, 2006
391 posts
47 upvotes
I think a lot of retail stores have shrink wrap machines. I used to work for a store that used them. I know what you're saying though, I just bought something from NCIX that had very poor shrink wrap around it (sides of plastic had burn marks)

If you feel really uncomfortable with it, then return it and wait to get another one. But being just an enclosure, as the other poster said if it works and isn't dirty/visibly used, just keep it.
Banned
Jun 19, 2010
791 posts
139 upvotes
OnTheRFDPlace
NCIX has always been a shady outlet to shop from.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a used item resold as new.
Hurley, Hurley Bernard!
!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
Sgt_Strider wrote: ...the shrink wrap on the box is kind of loose...

... It's not loose at all if that makes any sense.
No, and neither does this thread, particularly.

This is a matter of simple, daily, common-sense decision-making, not a matter for public discussion or debate.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Wingding wrote: No, and neither does this thread, particularly.

This is a matter of simple, daily, common-sense decision-making, not a matter for public discussion or debate.
This is not for you to decide. You're not a mod nor are you in a position to tell me or anyone on RFD on what kind of threads we're allowed to create. I will create whatever threads I want as long as it's in compliance with the rules. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1453 posts
295 upvotes
Its a matter of simple logic really.

The enclosure isn't likely worth more than $30... an open box unit would be sold for $25.50... hardly worth the time waste and plastic it would take to reshrink wrap it. Why would they even bother....

They sell open box products on their store and on ebay ALL THE TIME, clearly they aren't concerned with trying to hide their open box stuff. So why they would randomly decide to waste time and money to save $4.50 when they have no problems selling laptops worth thousands open box, defies logic.

People just like looking for problems in a shop they have a vendetta against
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Maybe the shrink wrap simply has started to fall off from movement in shipping, to stock shelves and off, people looking at it, being bounced around when shipping, the stuff isn't indestructible. That’s a lot of rubbing against other boxes, it was probably left as the last one for that very reason, some paranoid customer would think it was used. Really just thinking for 2 seconds and this thread could have been avoided. I'm suprised the OP didn't say he was scammed.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Stinger wrote: Its a matter of simple logic really.

The enclosure isn't likely worth more than $30... an open box unit would be sold for $25.50... hardly worth the time waste and plastic it would take to reshrink wrap it. Why would they even bother....

They sell open box products on their store and on ebay ALL THE TIME, clearly they aren't concerned with trying to hide their open box stuff. So why they would randomly decide to waste time and money to save $4.50 when they have no problems selling laptops worth thousands open box, defies logic.

People just like looking for problems in a shop they have a vendetta against
Wtf are you talking about? I have no vendetta against Ncix. I shop there all the time. Stop making things up when you don't know what you're talking about.

It's ironic for you to be talking about logic here. It was a question and if you're going to get piqued by it then why would you even bother responding? Now that defies logic. :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Ojam wrote: Maybe the shrink wrap simply has started to fall off from movement in shipping, to stock shelves and off, people looking at it, being bounced around when shipping, the stuff isn't indestructible. That’s a lot of rubbing against other boxes, it was probably left as the last one for that very reason, some paranoid customer would think it was used. Really just thinking for 2 seconds and this thread could have been avoided. I'm suprised the OP didn't say he was scammed.
Whatever dude. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1453 posts
295 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: Wtf are you talking about? I have no vendetta against Ncix. I shop there all the time. Stop making things up when you don't know what you're talking about.

It's ironic for you to be talking about logic here. It was a question and if you're going to get piqued by it then why would you even bother responding? Now that defies logic. :rolleyes:
Sorry, was a reference to hurley who posted above.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
It's not unusual for an open box item to slip by sometimes (ok it is unusual since it doesn't happen too often, but it does happen depending on how well it's "hidden")

I received an Open Box AMD CPU once. I sent a ticket and a replacement new unit was sent out same day.
I can't really blame them as it was really easy to miss. In fact... I missed it until I saw the inside contents of the box.
It wasn't like (the old) Intel boxes where any sort of entry was immediately visible.

As for reshrinkwrapping... I doubt it. As someone mentioned, to hide $4.50 worth of restock is ridiculous.
If anything, I'd say some jerk bought a new unit, cleaned it out and rewrapped it himself. That is more likely than NCIX rewrapping it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
A year ago, I bought a Seasonic PSU from NCIX and when it was delivered, I noticed that there was no shrink wrap around the box. I didn't think much of it at the time. Now that I finally got around to building a new computer, I realized that the desktop wasn't turning on properly (turn on computer and it would only power up a couple secs). I just purchased a new PSU and now my computer is up and running. NCIX sold me an open box defective unit. Now I have to think twice about buying things from them.
Apr 12, 2009
85 posts
8 upvotes
hurley_bernard wrote: NCIX has always been a shady outlet to shop from.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a used item resold as new.
You're not the first person I've heard this from. Where do you buy OEM computer parts from?
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
Mr. Robo wrote: A year ago, I bought a Seasonic PSU from NCIX and when it was delivered, I noticed that there was no shrink wrap around the box. I didn't think much of it at the time. Now that I finally got around to building a new computer, I realized that the desktop wasn't turning on properly (turn on computer and it would only power up a couple secs). I just purchased a new PSU and now my computer is up and running. NCIX sold me an open box defective unit. Now I have to think twice about buying things from them.
I would agree with you had you checked this PSU after you got it, noticed a problem and they refused to fix it. It might be a honest mistake on they part and similar to death_hawk experience they might sent you a new one had you noticed problem and open a claim with them at a right time.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
I've gotten defective items from NCIX before, I just returned it back to them, and I got a new replacement within a week. It's worth it to check your products immediately upon arrival.
Signature removed due to rule violation
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
pshch wrote: It might be a honest mistake on they part and similar to death_hawk experience they might sent you a new one had you noticed problem and open a claim with them at a right time.
I will admit to my mistake that a bought a psu and I noticed something fishy about it and that I took over a year to build a new computer. And I did test out the PSU when I got it and it worked with my old computer E6600. THat's why I never proceded with a RMA.

But it doesn't excuse NCIX for sending me an open box PSU. How do you miss something like that? I don't buy the idea that "it was an honest mistake either." That's an easy cough out. It just raises a question that all. I'm not gonna say I'll never do business with NCIX again, but I just have to think twice now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
This kind of thing happens online quite a bit also. I bought what I thought was a brand new DSL modem from buy.ca only to find out not only was it used, it still had the person's login information in it. Not impressed and is another reason why I try not to buy items online.