Cell Phones

Is it possible to port from koodo to koodo ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 11:35 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:34 am
Port time isn't the issue when doing a port-out/port-right-back-in... The issue is that when you port out from Koodo to a carrier other than Koodo (Virgin or Bell, for example, since they have such cheap sims on ebay and you can port out to their prepaid without having to top up), and then try to port back in to a different Koodo account, you can't do it right away because Koodo hasn't released your number from their system yet (I think it takes them 30 days) - but if you port from Koodo postpaid to Koodo prepaid, they release the number from their postpaid system immediately. The question here is if they also do that if you port to PM, and I don't know of anybody that's done that.
I was not aware that there is such a thing as releasing the number 30 days later. I thought a successful port clears the deck and you can port right back in the next minute. I do know this much, Koodo prepaid and Public Mobile share back end systems. So, perhaps porting to Koodo prepaid is akin to porting to Public Mobile. I am going to need to do a port out/port in soon. I want to use Public Mobile as the temporary account. I will find out if there is any delay. If there is this 30 day hold, what actually happens? They will block the port in for 30 days because they think the number never left the building?
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15058 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 3:39 pm
I was not aware that there is such a thing as releasing the number 30 days later. I thought a successful port clears the deck and you can port right back in the next minute. I do know this much, Koodo prepaid and Public Mobile share back end systems. So, perhaps porting to Koodo prepaid is akin to porting to Public Mobile. I am going to need to do a port out/port in soon. I want to use Public Mobile as the temporary account. I will find out if there is any delay. If there is this 30 day hold, what actually happens? They will block the port in for 30 days because they think the number never left the building?
Every once in a while there's a post on here with somebody who wants to port from one Koodo account to another (usually going from an ON plan to a QC plan), so attempts to port out to Virgin to save money and then tries to port back in, only to get stymied. From what I recall, basically the system doesn't let it automatically port the number back in, the port ends up getting stuck, and then you have to contact customer service to get it sorted out and it's a huge pain in the ass. Like I said - I would *hope* that it just works the same way going to/from PM as it does to/from Koodo prepaid, but I'm not aware of anybody doing it this way so I can't say for sure that it will. And hey, maybe Koodo's fixed their system so that when you port out to a different prepaid provider from postpaid, the number gets flushed immediately (I'm guessing it's not exactly 30 days, even though that's what people reported - more likely it gets flushed when the billing cycle runs out on the postpaid account and it generates the final bill).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 3:47 pm
Every once in a while there's a post on here with somebody who wants to port from one Koodo account to another (usually going from an ON plan to a QC plan), so attempts to port out to Virgin to save money and then tries to port back in, only to get stymied. From what I recall, basically the system doesn't let it automatically port the number back in, the port ends up getting stuck, and then you have to contact customer service to get it sorted out and it's a huge pain in the ass. Like I said - I would *hope* that it just works the same way going to/from PM as it does to/from Koodo prepaid, but I'm not aware of anybody doing it this way so I can't say for sure that it will. And hey, maybe Koodo's fixed their system so that when you port out to a different prepaid provider from postpaid, the number gets flushed immediately (I'm guessing it's not exactly 30 days, even though that's what people reported - more likely it gets flushed when the billing cycle runs out on the postpaid account and it generates the final bill).
Now you got me thinking that I should play it safe and go Koodo prepaid. It is kind of expensive compared to Public Mobile.
Fido $0/3GB
Tangerine Bank
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
I have a friend who tried Koodo postpaid to prepaid porting last week, and got stuck with some technical glitch on the Web site. Then got triple-charged when phone for help from CSRs, which was still unsuccessful. So, beware the mysterious port failure right now.
Nov 24, 2016
374 posts
331 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 3:47 pm
Ah I think I am in this dilemma right now. I ported out of koodo to bell prepaid. But now they suspended that line til the billing cycle. I am hoping once the billing cycle ends the number would be removed from my account and I will be able to port back. The problem is not that my phone number is still with koodo, the number is with bell now, the problem is that my account still has my number on file on my account. WIll report back when my billing cycle ends. At the end of the day I want as few people to look at my account as possible I don't want them to audit my account haha.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
MastaOogway wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 2:39 am
Ah I think I am in this dilemma right now. I ported out of koodo to bell prepaid. But now they suspended that line til the billing cycle. I am hoping once the billing cycle ends the number would be removed from my account and I will be able to port back. The problem is not that my phone number is still with koodo, the number is with bell now, the problem is that my account still has my number on file on my account. WIll report back when my billing cycle ends. At the end of the day I want as few people to look at my account as possible I don't want them to audit my account haha.
Ah this is the key, let a billing cycle pass to flush out the old number.
Fido $0/3GB
Tangerine Bank
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:45 pm
I have a friend who tried Koodo postpaid to prepaid porting last week, and got stuck with some technical glitch on the Web site. Then got triple-charged when phone for help from CSRs, which was still unsuccessful. So, beware the mysterious port failure right now.
Update: quadruple-charged, and CSR denies that anything happened. No prepaid activation happened, but credit card was charged.
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 6:51 pm
Update: quadruple-charged, and CSR denies that anything happened. No prepaid activation happened, but credit card was charged.
Update again: my friend tried yet again, finally got a competent CSR on Koodo postpaid. Result:

1. Investigation started into extra charges.

2. Number moved between lines.

Yes, you read that right. Moving the Koodo number from one line to another (i.e. acquired a better plan through a TOR) did NOT require porting out and back in.
Aug 21, 2011
567 posts
244 upvotes
Whitby
IanBrantford wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 8:03 am
Update again: my friend tried yet again, finally got a competent CSR on Koodo postpaid. Result:

1. Investigation started into extra charges.

2. Number moved between lines.

Yes, you read that right. Moving the Koodo number from one line to another (i.e. acquired a better plan through a TOR) did NOT require porting out and back in.
But the number move between lines can be done by CSR only isn't it?
Koodo Mobile | Public Mobile
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
abshahul wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 12:00 pm
But the number move between lines can be done by CSR only isn't it?
Correct. And, not all CSRs know how to do it. Another friend tried asking for this a couple of days ago, and the CSR said that it could not be done! Anyway, that friend is probably going to port to VoIP instead, and hence be free of such concerns. They can still port that number back from VoIP later if needed -- it just won't be as fast as using Koodo prepaid (if that's working now) or Public Mobile.
Aug 21, 2011
567 posts
244 upvotes
Whitby
IanBrantford wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 1:31 pm
Correct. And, not all CSRs know how to do it. Another friend tried asking for this a couple of days ago, and the CSR said that it could not be done! Anyway, that friend is probably going to port to VoIP instead, and hence be free of such concerns. They can still port that number back from VoIP later if needed -- it just won't be as fast as using Koodo prepaid (if that's working now) or Public Mobile.
Thanks, is it confirmed public mobile works for fast port out/port in?
Aug 21, 2011
567 posts
244 upvotes
Whitby
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 1:53 pm
yes, pretty much instant
Awesome, thanks for confirming.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7654 posts
1527 upvotes
???
IanBrantford wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:45 pm
Same thing happened to me, i called the Koodo porting department at almost midnight and they were still open. However the porting CSR couldn't help me so they escalated the problem and said that it would be resolved within 24 hours. Next morning it was working fine after a simple reboot.
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300Mbps unlimited $25
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 11:24 pm
Same thing happened to me, i called the Koodo porting department at almost midnight and they were still open. However the porting CSR couldn't help me so they escalated the problem and said that it would be resolved within 24 hours. Next morning it was working fine after a simple reboot.
Okay, so it's not just one person who had this problem. Thanks for the report. I am glad that you got someone competent on the first try. For my friend, it took four (4) tries before someone sorted it out, and that person just directly transferred the number from one Koodo line to another instead of waiting for the escalated internal issue to be resolved -- no porting required.