Automotive

Is it possible replace rear wiper motor myself?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 11:19 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
500 posts
74 upvotes

Is it possible replace rear wiper motor myself?

The rear wiper stopped working on my 2013 highlander.

Went to a auto shop yesterday. The mechanician checked and told me the motor is broken. It would cost more than 500 bucks to fix. I ended up paying him $70 for checking without fixing it. (If I let him fix, 70 bucks would be included in the fee). The meachanician actually adjusted the wiper a little and it started working again. But he told me it could stop working anytime. He was so right. The wiper stopped working again last night. It seems I have to replace the motor to fix the problem.

It doesn't affect my driving much without the rear wiper. But I am planning to trade in the car next year. So I might need to fix it before that anyway.

Just wondering if it is possible for me to buy a motor from rock auto or somewhere and replace it myself? Or it is too difficult to DIY?

Thanks a lot in advance!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23836 posts
10251 upvotes
Ottawa
Check out Youtube to see if they have a DIY video.
Dec 7, 2011
491 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
supermike wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:48 am
The rear wiper stopped working on my 2013 highlander.

Went to a auto shop yesterday. The mechanician checked and told me the motor is broken. It would cost more than 500 bucks to fix. I ended up paying him $70 for checking without fixing it. (If I let him fix, 70 bucks would be included in the fee). The meachanician actually adjusted the wiper a little and it started working again. But he told me it could stop working anytime. He was so right. The wiper stopped working again last night. It seems I have to replace the motor to fix the problem.

It doesn't affect my driving much without the rear wiper. But I am planning to trade in the car next year. So I might need to fix it before that anyway.

Just wondering if it is possible for me to buy a motor from rock auto or somewhere and replace it myself? Or it is too difficult to DIY?

Thanks a lot in advance!
It's pretty easy to change on your vehicle. Only tricky part is removing the wiper but you should be fine since it was recently removed. Should take you about 10-15 minutes including removing the interior panel.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23280 posts
3591 upvotes
Most wipers can be removed with a $5-10 battery terminal puller, though there are different systems of attachment so some may require other or different tools. DIY should be easy but you'll likely have to remove all the interior trim and stuff to get to it. There is probably a how-to online but should not be too difficult.

If you're selling the car privately and have to get it certified or whatever, then yeah you will need to fix it. If you're trading it for a new car at a stealership, they probably won't even check this, lol, so maybe don't bother unless you have to? Just don't bring it to trade on a rainy day :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8329 posts
6861 upvotes
Oakville
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:38 am
Most wipers can be removed with a $5-10 battery terminal puller, though there are different systems of attachment so some may require other or different tools. DIY should be easy but you'll likely have to remove all the interior trim and stuff to get to it. There is probably a how-to online but should not be too difficult.

If you're selling the car privately and have to get it certified or whatever, then yeah you will need to fix it. If you're trading it for a new car at a stealership, they probably won't even check this, lol, so maybe don't bother unless you have to? Just don't bring it to trade on a rainy day :lol:
+1, if you're trading it in then it is unlikely that the dealer would not notice or care about a $50 part.
That said, it should be an easy DIY.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7777 posts
4571 upvotes
Markham
The rear motor itself is around $150. This job is easily DIY, as said before the hardest part is taking out the wiper arm.

I'd say if you have the right tools, even a novice can do this in less than 1 hour.

This mechanic is super hosing you.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
500 posts
74 upvotes
Thanks a lot for your info guys!

I might just leave it alone then because I think I will have to trade in the car to a dealer instead of selling it privately. My car had an accident when it was about 4 months old. Half of the front of the car was hit when a right turn was a little wide on a 2 -lane country road at a rainy foggy dark night. :( It was repaired at Toyota. It cost more than 10000 dollars back then. The car has been totally fine without any problems for more than 5 years. However, I think buyers would hesitate to buy my car after checking the report. I might have to deal with a dealer then. Not sure how much money they are gonna rip me off. Maybe thousands of dollars less than the market price. :(
Last edited by supermike on Dec 5th, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1228 posts
1072 upvotes
GTA
If you even have to ask, then probably not.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6301 posts
2328 upvotes
ON
Anikiri wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:50 am
The rear motor itself is around $150. This job is easily DIY, as said before the hardest part is taking out the wiper arm.

I'd say if you have the right tools, even a novice can do this in less than 1 hour.

This mechanic is super hosing you.
It was a meachanician...they charge a lot more than your run of the mill mechanic.
Apr 6, 2008
698 posts
309 upvotes
It is the motor or the linkage? I would pop open the back side of the hatch and have a look. Not sure how much Highlanders are in a scrap yard but if you can find one the part should be there and cheap.