Careers

Possible second call to meet with President of Company!! Anyone have any experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2013 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
setell wrote: It is just a job. You’ll find one. Take a deep breath and tell yourself this: I AM FABULOUS AND I WILL GET A JOB! Doubting yourself makes you vulnerable and being vulnerable makes you appear desperate. You must ooze confidence, even if you’re scared shietless. Never accept defeat until you’ve given it all you’ve got. So go out there and keep applying to jobs till you get that written offer in your hands! Till it’s in writing nothing is final!

By the way, a big pat on the back for landing so many interviews so fast!

Thanks, but I really wanted this one :( I didnt appear desperate in the interview! I think the interview went really good and I gave it my all..so if I gave it my all and still didnt land a job or second interview, than I dont know what! I really could have seen myself working there!
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
setell wrote: Yeah, 24 employees is small. I would rank them as mom & pop size. SO….those the ones you watch out for that may not have a good work process in place and may do a “here ya go, now go work” without proper training/processes in place. Hopefully, since it’s a subsidiary of a larger company they’ll have their act together! So ask lots of questions when you meet the president. It’s a TWO way interview so always remember that. They will sell to YOU that their company is amazing etc. and want you to accept their offer.

Good luck!
LOL you think that in large corps of 500+ it's any different? Most companies have ***** training now days. It's the norm.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
Is it possible for them to call me tomorrow morning to have the interview Thursday? I know they want to have the second interview Thursday .. maybe they needed some time to think it over!!
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15501 posts
5769 upvotes
The OP should consider sitting at home eating bonbon and forget about not being able to get the job. It is only fair that they take turns being unemployed.

I can have a really small company and call myself a CEO. It doesn't mean anything. Only if I am a CEO of a multinational that you should be afraid to meet him/her.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
What's it paying?? Now that's the important question... I wouldn't be desperate unless I'm getting Oprah money. You're making this sound like life and death. Do you have high debts or something?? ...just askin. ;)
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: What's it paying?? Now that's the important question... I wouldn't be desperate unless I'm getting Oprah money. You're making this sound like life and death. Do you have high debts or something?? ...just askin. ;)
No you guys dont understand! I want to work not only because of the money but because this is my passion, I love what I do, and I want to learn more. I pictured myself working there!! Im not depressed just disappointed!! It could be the fact that maybe I didnt have enough experience for them...even though the ad said "experience an asset" ... Bumbed man...just bumbed!

P.S

It was about $20-23/ hour which is a plus because most bookkeepers get paid way less than that! Like I said it wasnt just for the money.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2008
2143 posts
531 upvotes
WIN-A-PIG!
krissypoo27 wrote: No you guys dont understand! I want to work not only because of the money but because this is my passion, I love what I do, and I want to learn more. I pictured myself working there!! Im not depressed just disappointed!! It could be the fact that maybe I didnt have enough experience for them...even though the ad said "experience an asset" ... Bumbed man...just bumbed!

P.S

It was about $20-23/ hour which is a plus because most bookkeepers get paid way less than that! Like I said it wasnt just for the money.
I know exactly how you feel, been there, not a good idea to stress about or worry. If you are called for a meeting with the president, just treat it like an every other interview. The president of the company will be evaluating you just like how HR or another manager would.

If you just had the interview give it a few days, they rarely call back in the same day or next. I've waited a week before being called in for a second interview and another week or more before getting an offer. It depends how busy they are, unless they are desperate to fill the position it won't happen right away.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
anton204 wrote: I know exactly how you feel, been there, not a good idea to stress about or worry. If you are called for a meeting with the president, just treat it like an every other interview. The president of the company will be evaluating you just like how HR or another manager would.

If you just had the interview give it a few days, they rarely call back in the same day or next. I've waited a week before being called in for a second interview and another week or more before getting an offer. It depends how busy they are, unless they are desperate to fill the position it won't happen right away.
They wanted to get someone to start by Monday and have the second interview Thursday, which is tomorrow :( So I am thinking they are not going to call. Thanks for your understanding! I will get over it but I really wanted this job, and I feel really disappointed..probably because I never wanted a job so bad like I wanted this one :( And everyone says I am desperate .. no I just really wanted this job and I thought the interview went really well. Sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1195 posts
144 upvotes
Montreal
never put your hopes up until you get the first paycheck. actually, never put your hopes up until after probation

i'm starting a new part time gig soon but still, i keep on looking elsewhere. for a matter of fact, i have a couple of interviews next week
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
^ You are right actually. I made the mistake of getting my hopes up..I always tell myself NOT to after an interview!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2008
2143 posts
531 upvotes
WIN-A-PIG!
krissypoo27 wrote: They wanted to get someone to start by Monday and have the second interview Thursday, which is tomorrow :( So I am thinking they are not going to call. Thanks for your understanding! I will get over it but I really wanted this job, and I feel really disappointed..probably because I never wanted a job so bad like I wanted this one :( And everyone says I am desperate .. no I just really wanted this job and I thought the interview went really well. Sucks
I've really wanted a job before and been shot down plenty of times. Not fun and does get stressful, don't put all your eggs into one basket.

On a side note, just because they need someone by Monday doesn't mean they will fill it by then, they can still call you tomorrow or even Friday. Life gets in the way (ie president/interview is sick, had this happen) or something else happens. Who knows just keep an open mind.

My suggestion is if its true they need someone by Monday, is try doing a followup call. You can try Friday to find out how you did on your interview and thank then for taking the time to interview you. If you don't want to a call just send an e-mail.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
anton204 wrote: I've really wanted a job before and been shot down plenty of times. Not fun and does get stressful, don't put all your eggs into one basket.

On a side note, just because they need someone by Monday doesn't mean they will fill it by then, they can still call you tomorrow or even Friday. Life gets in the way (ie president/interview is sick, had this happen) or something else happens. Who knows just keep an open mind.

My suggestion is if its true they need someone by Monday, is try doing a followup call. You can try Friday to find out how you did on your interview and thank then for taking the time to interview you. If you don't want to a call just send an e-mail.
You are right I found it was a small window for them to find someone .. If they dont call tomorrow than I will know for sure that they called someone else! Thanks
Deal Addict
May 30, 2008
2143 posts
531 upvotes
WIN-A-PIG!
krissypoo27 wrote: You are right I found it was a small window for them to find someone .. If they dont call tomorrow than I will know for sure that they called someone else! Thanks
Good luck!
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3241 upvotes
Calgary
For a small business, perfectly normal. A lot of these sorts of people view every dollar that the business spends as one of their own. Typically you see the best and worst out of these sorts of people.

For a large business, (ie: >100 people), kind of concerning unless its a significant management role. After all, it may be a sign of extreme micro-management from the top, rather than an environment in which professionals are empowered to make decisions.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
May 17, 2011
306 posts
39 upvotes
GVRD
One thing that's coming across to others and me from your postings is that you are getting very excited, nervous, stressed, etc. that may subconsciously come across in the interview without you knowing. I used to be like you, "omg - the C something O is flying out here to tour our office! Better clean up the desk and look good, etc." Now - it's more like a pain in why is this guy pulling everyone's time away from the crap load of work building up so he can feel special?

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is to be calm, assertive and take the time to think of intelligent replies to the interviewers question no matter what title they hold. They are all a human being at the end of the day so don't be afraid to ask for some time to think, water to calm your nerves and buy time to think, etc.

Like others have said, it's also a two way street - why does the company want you to work to them? What kinds of perks/benefits do they offer? Training? Tuition reimbursement? etc.

And Mark, not sure what point you were trying to make but a good manager does treat the business money like their own, nothing wrong with making sure expenditures are justified and have some benefit to the business. That's why we see manager's incentive plans that try to align as closely with shareholders' interests as much as possible.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3241 upvotes
Calgary
noreason wrote: And Mark, not sure what point you were trying to make but a good manager does treat the business money like their own, nothing wrong with making sure expenditures are justified and have some benefit to the business. That's why we see manager's incentive plans that try to align as closely with shareholders' interests as much as possible.
Sure, but some really don't understand their roles, or they're arrogant about it, or they gloat, etc. I think in a big public company, people are generally more immune to higher managers bringing their personal issues to work, than what you would see in a smaller company that's perhaps owned by husband and wife.

Not to say that this applies to all companies, but I've seen it in the interviewing process, and it comes off as being extremely unprofessional and disruptive. If a company with 100+ people is being micromanaged like that, where the CEO has to meet every new hire (ie: the managers aren't trusted to do something as trivial as merely hiring an employee) -- that's a bit of a warning sign.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
noreason wrote: One thing that's coming across to others and me from your postings is that you are getting very excited, nervous, stressed, etc. that may subconsciously come across in the interview without you knowing. I used to be like you, "omg - the C something O is flying out here to tour our office! Better clean up the desk and look good, etc." Now - it's more like a pain in why is this guy pulling everyone's time away from the crap load of work building up so he can feel special?

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is to be calm, assertive and take the time to think of intelligent replies to the interviewers question no matter what title they hold. They are all a human being at the end of the day so don't be afraid to ask for some time to think, water to calm your nerves and buy time to think, etc.

Like others have said, it's also a two way street - why does the company want you to work to them? What kinds of perks/benefits do they offer? Training? Tuition reimbursement? etc.

And Mark, not sure what point you were trying to make but a good manager does treat the business money like their own, nothing wrong with making sure expenditures are justified and have some benefit to the business. That's why we see manager's incentive plans that try to align as closely with shareholders' interests as much as possible.
I hear what you are saying. In the interview I was calm, and did try my best to answer the questions with ease..which is surprising because I usually have a hard time with interviews and might be the reason why I am having a hard time grasping the fact that I didnt get a call. I sincerely thought that I was..but I understand someone probably landed the second interview because of more experience etc.... whatever it may be, I will have to get over it! So lets not assume that I was a nervous needy freak in the interview! I answered the questions honestly and made sure to give them examples of my skills and why I would be good for their company. Somebody probably just answered those questions better, or seemed to have more to offer in the eyes of the interviewers.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I find when you have an interview with the VP or president it's never really about the job... it's more about how you think about policy or your thoughts about the direction of the industry or the company. They want to know if your "thinking" or mentality is same as the company. The nitty gritty "do you know about your job details" interview is already done by the immediate hiring manager or senior co-worker. Once you pass that then they already know 90-95% you can technically do the job. The president or VP interview is more to determine if she's a "team player" is she "with us" attitude. My first job out of uni was in HK for the Bank of Tokyo-Sumitomo. I had an interview with the director of Capital markets and dealing. I was nervous and scared, my first big interview.. studied and went over everything technically about capital markets and investment banking. Checked their website and made sure I knew everything about the company... memorize every detail about my resume so I wouldnt be caught dead with a surprise question. I walk into the interview and he told me to have a seat. This is the big japanese boss from Tokyo. He just ask me one question - What do you think about HK as place to do business for international firms?? That was it. One question. I went through a big speech and rant about asian capital markets, openness of HK to international trade, taxation policies, economic history, etc. It was almost like a 10 min answer. I thought I was pissing the guy off. He was expressionless. Shows no emotion. He just said "Good. Thank you for dropping by." with a slight grin. That was it. That was the interview. The whole thing was like 15 min from the time I met him to leaving his office. I thought I crapped out and lost the job. Then three days later the chinese HR dude said I got the job. Come in and sign the papers. You never know what to expect...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 11, 2011
370 posts
142 upvotes
Why don't you give them a quick follow up call today? If they say they already have someone else in mind thank them and ask for some feedback on your interview.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)