Careers

Possible second call to meet with President of Company!! Anyone have any experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2013 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
krissypoo27 wrote: I hear what you are saying. In the interview I was calm, and did try my best to answer the questions with ease..which is surprising because I usually have a hard time with interviews and might be the reason why I am having a hard time grasping the fact that I didnt get a call. I sincerely thought that I was..but I understand someone probably landed the second interview because of more experience etc.... whatever it may be, I will have to get over it! So lets not assume that I was a nervous needy freak in the interview! I answered the questions honestly and made sure to give them examples of my skills and why I would be good for their company. Somebody probably just answered those questions better, or seemed to have more to offer in the eyes of the interviewers.
Truth be told... managers hire people like themselves and it doesnt mean technically speaking or job wise. More or less a personality and team fit. You can have a douche bag who knows nothing about the job or have little experience but if the candidate is a smoozer, good talker and gets on a buddy buddy impression with the hiring manager - same likes, dislikes - the person is "in" for the job 75-80% right away. That's why sometimes you get idiots on the job who are technically Bullsh-- in terms of skill set but they get along with everybody and is the most popular person on the floor. The company will rather downsize you than him/her because they promote a "good team fit". Total BS but that's the game played in most companies. You also never know... nepotism plays a large part. How do you know the person they hired wasnt a friend, relative, an internal "referral", etc?? Happens waaay more times than you think. They just have to interview outsiders because of HR policy even though they already hired a candidate in mind. You always notice those jobs. You see the post on the company's career website as open one day... then next day post is already filled. You're thinking WTF???? Favoratism occurs everywhere. Same with rejection. Once you get used to it it's no big deal - SWSWN - "so what so what, next!" I would wait till monday/tuesday and if you still havent heard anything then call back HR and ask.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Truth be told... managers hire people like themselves and it doesnt mean technically speaking or job wise. More or less a personality and team fit. You can have a douche bag who knows nothing about the job or have little experience but if the candidate is a smoozer, good talker and gets on a buddy buddy impression with the hiring manager - same likes, dislikes - the person is "in" for the job 75-80% right away. That's why sometimes you get idiots on the job who are technically Bullsh-- in terms of skill set but they get along with everybody and is the most popular person on the floor. The company will rather downsize you than him/her because they promote a "good team fit". Total BS but that's the game played in most companies. You also never know... nepotism plays a large part. How do you know the person they hired wasnt a friend, relative, an internal "referral", etc?? Happens waaay more times than you think. They just have to interview outsiders because of HR policy even though they already hired a candidate in mind. You always notice those jobs. You see the post on the company's career website as open one day... then next day post is already filled. You're thinking WTF???? Favoratism occurs everywhere. Same with rejection. Once you get used to it it's no big deal - SWSWN - "so what so what, next!" I would wait till monday/tuesday and if you still havent heard anything then call back HR and ask.
A good manager is not hiring because they are like themselves. They are not hiring necessarily because the person is the best candidate. The objective is to build the best team.
May 19, 2008
233 posts
108 upvotes
Best thing to do right after a good interview is to apply to more jobs! It's really hard to do especially if you think the opportunity is a great fit and the interview went well, but you have to forget it and move onto the next.

I had my first interview for a job I really wanted at the start of April, I went on my third and final interview about 3 weeks ago. HR told me it's between me and one other candidate and I still haven't heard back. In the mean time I applied to another position that I'm not as excited about, but have just received an offer from. Just keep applying and don't get too attached.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
bellagirl wrote: Why don't you give them a quick follow up call today? If they say they already have someone else in mind thank them and ask for some feedback on your interview.
I guess I could do that!
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for more of the insight! I will learn next time to not get my hopes up too high.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
2445 posts
573 upvotes
Great learning experience for next time. Good luck!
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
So discouraging! I didnt even get any of the jobs, I told myself that I dont even care if the first job that I interviewed for called me, but they just called and said that the position has been filled. I am having a really hard time with this because I found I did better in these interviews then I ever did in any interviews I have had thus far in my career. I dont know what to do..sure keep trying..but I feel as though I am never going to find a job in my field. There must be something wrong, if I feel as though my interview skills were at its best, than there must be something else. Maybe I dont look hireable? I dress the part, look professional...I dont get it. I know every employer has someone in mind, and if I didnt cut it 2 of the times than when am I going to cut it? This is crappy! :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
You need a self esteem boost. Not having confidence in YOURSELF signals huge performance issues aka during interviews. Who wants somebody that’s a negative nanny?

Also, accounting is a rough field. Very cut throat and people you meet can be a-holes. It’s also a very saturated field so you must outperform your peers to land that cultivated job. It’s the same for all career fields. Nothing is easy.

You don’t quit a career because it’s hard to get a job for a brief period of time. You haven’t even exhausted all means possible aka move to a better city where most of the headquarters are at. I’m not asking you to move to Toronto but to a bigger city with more corporate offices. I guess now is not a bad time to ask yourself how long you can do this but you haven’t started so it’s kinda moot to ask yourself this. We all get to a point in our life that you ask yourself if this is the sludge you want to do forever, even at the management level and above it’s still sludge but different sludge.

Go shopping and buy yourself a power work outfit. Works like a charm every time for me when things don’t go so well. Then for the next interview wear that awesome new suit where you feel amazing, look amazing and you tell yourself you BELONG. I also suggest you go read some books on self-motivation so you can improve yourself.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1195 posts
144 upvotes
Montreal
like setell said. believe in yourself, don't sweat and don't stress. i was in your position at the beginning of the year where i was lining interviews for weeks but didn't receive an offer. it was hard, thought about changing career too but i just kept applying and eventually got offers.

the key is you need to believe your own worth, be willing to start lower if you have to (they'll mostly ask why if you are overqualified but you can always BS your way in like say i always believe that to do a great job, you need to learn how things work and with that knowledge, you'll be able to understand and apply it to a higher position job. and it never hurts to be able to give that little extra something when one has more knowledge than the position asks for)
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
lol, so much encouragement in this thread. My thread was the same deal, had a ton of interviews with little success but I got trolled mostly.

OP, you'll get something. I was in your shoes very recently and I managed to get something. It might take a long time so be prepared. You learned some harsh but valuable lessons. Nothing anyone says in an interview means anything. The only thing that means anything is a written offer. Until you receive it, you have nothing. I've become quite cynical about the whole thing. Even now I don't have any expectations, no hopes that this will go permanent. I'm just taking it day by day and keeping my eyes on other opportunities. You should always be looking, even if it's passively.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15501 posts
5769 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote: Thinking about switching careers
No need. Just let bf work and live off him. It is only fair to take turns being unemployed.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
setell wrote: You need a self esteem boost. Not having confidence in YOURSELF signals huge performance issues aka during interviews. Who wants somebody that’s a negative nanny?

Also, accounting is a rough field. Very cut throat and people you meet can be a-holes. It’s also a very saturated field so you must outperform your peers to land that cultivated job. It’s the same for all career fields. Nothing is easy.

You don’t quit a career because it’s hard to get a job for a brief period of time. You haven’t even exhausted all means possible aka move to a better city where most of the headquarters are at. I’m not asking you to move to Toronto but to a bigger city with more corporate offices. I guess now is not a bad time to ask yourself how long you can do this but you haven’t started so it’s kinda moot to ask yourself this. We all get to a point in our life that you ask yourself if this is the sludge you want to do forever, even at the management level and above it’s still sludge but different sludge.

Go shopping and buy yourself a power work outfit. Works like a charm every time for me when things don’t go so well. Then for the next interview wear that awesome new suit where you feel amazing, look amazing and you tell yourself you BELONG. I also suggest you go read some books on self-motivation so you can improve yourself.
Thanks, I feel once I gain more experience I will get more confidence I am thinking...but I hear exactly what your saying! As for moving, I cant do that..Im too close to my family for that...I moved once before and it really sucked for me! All I ever did think about was coming home! I have lost about 30 lbs, I should have some confidence LOL but I think where Im lacking is believing in my abilities because I dont have enough experience. Thanks chicky! you actually made me realize what my potential problem is! And why do I keep thinking you are male???? From the very first time you replied to one of my threads!! :P
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
krissypoo27 wrote: Thanks, I feel once I gain more experience I will get more confidence I am thinking...but I hear exactly what your saying! As for moving, I cant do that..Im too close to my family for that...I moved once before and it really sucked for me! All I ever did think about was coming home! I have lost about 30 lbs, I should have some confidence LOL but I think where Im lacking is believing in my abilities because I dont have enough experience. Thanks chicky! you actually made me realize what my potential problem is! And why do I keep thinking you are male???? From the very first time you replied to one of my threads!! :P
You'll never truly have enough experience to feel 100% comfortable. You'll always be chasing the next level up and you'll always have that small doubt about your abilities. The best CEO's don't even feel comfortable and don't think they are doing a good job.

Anytime babes ;) I can be a man if you want. :cheesygri :razz: lol
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1195 posts
144 upvotes
Montreal
setell wrote: you'll always have that small doubt about your abilities
especially when starting a new job. there's always that period of settling in before feeling comfortable enough to be able to do the basic work :o
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
setell wrote: You'll never truly have enough experience to feel 100% comfortable. You'll always be chasing the next level up and you'll always have that small doubt about your abilities. The best CEO's don't even feel comfortable and don't think they are doing a good job.

Anytime babes ;) I can be a man if you want. :cheesygri :razz: lol
BAHAHAHA your funny!
Oct 25, 2009
184 posts
6 upvotes
flyinggonzo wrote: Be relaxed and be yourself.

By the time you are interviewing with the President (or similar sr exec), they are "selling you" to a certain extent and really making a judge of fit and character.
u must be kidding. it's more like u have to be the person that they want u to be.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
nalababe wrote: Except we can see through that in most cases.
+1 You'll end up hurting yourself by pretending. Just be yourself and that is the best thing you can do. A good fit with the team requires you to be the same person for a long period of time and that can't be achieved by faking it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)