Careers

Possible second call to meet with President of Company!! Anyone have any experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2013 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1621 posts
765 upvotes
GTA
nalababe wrote: Except we can see through that in most cases.
+2 ... it's more like, be your best self. you don't act the same way with a stranger as you would with a close friend but you're being yourself in both cases. similarly, just be a different part of yourself with the employer.
CPA. Realtor.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
setell wrote: +1 You'll end up hurting yourself by pretending. Just be yourself and that is the best thing you can do. A good fit with the team requires you to be the same person for a long period of time and that can't be achieved by faking it.
Yes I was going to say that I hate pretending to be something I am not in interviews!! But everyone tells us that we have to pretend to be outgoing etc...I would rather just be myself because than I am not misleading anyone!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1474 posts
193 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote: Yes I was going to say that I hate pretending to be something I am not in interviews!! But everyone tells us that we have to pretend to be outgoing etc...I would rather just be myself because than I am not misleading anyone!
"I would rather be myself and be accepted for the human being I am than lie and pretend I'm something else"

What, the ***** ? Did you not learn anything in business school?

Do you believe in Trickle-down economics? Santa Clause isn't real; the world is not flowers and you can be damn sure those other "2" candidates fabricated just enough bullsh*t t to "win" this president over.

Sales, you need to learn to sell yourself.
Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
citizen22 wrote: "I would rather be myself and be accepted for the human being I am than lie and pretend I'm something else"

What, the ***** ? Did you not learn anything in business school?

Do you believe in Trickle-down economics? Santa Clause isn't real; the world is not flowers and you can be damn sure those other "2" candidates fabricated just enough bullsh*t t to "win" this president over.

Sales, you need to learn to sell yourself.
First of all I didnt write that. Second of all..would you rather walk in there and pretend to be outgoing, than only for your employers to find out later that you are not? I do not think that is wise. Actually I believe that you walk in there on your best behaviour and like another member said "a better version of yourself". I didnt go to business school!!! FYI!! I am not in sales...and half the people who graduate the Accounting program from a College arent social experts either!
Dec 20, 2012
55 posts
NORTH YORK
krissypoo27 wrote: First of all I didnt write that. Second of all..would you rather walk in there and pretend to be outgoing, than only for your employers to find out later that you are not? I do not think that is wise. Actually I believe that you walk in there on your best behaviour and like another member said "a better version of yourself". I didnt go to business school!!! FYI!! I am not in sales...and half the people who graduate the Accounting program from a College arent social experts either!
An interview is all about telling your story. You need to tell your story better than the next person.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
underwriterman wrote: An interview is all about telling your story. You need to tell your story better than the next person.
Maybe I didn't get a call back because when he asked the second time why I left my last job I caved and told him I was let go! I managed to make it sound better than wht it was but it is a possibility .. Also someone might have had more experience where I didn't. But how am I going to get experience without being hired! There is a job I could apply for .. It's a accounting assistant position.. But it's only $13/hr :(
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1474 posts
193 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote: First of all I didnt write that. Second of all..would you rather walk in there and pretend to be outgoing, than only for your employers to find out later that you are not? I do not think that is wise. Actually I believe that you walk in there on your best behaviour and like another member said "a better version of yourself". I didnt go to business school!!! FYI!! I am not in sales...and half the people who graduate the Accounting program from a College arent social experts either!
No, I disagree and that was a rhetorical question.

You think an employer will say, after they hire you, "he seems to be not as outgoing anymore, not a good fit = fire him"

Sweety, "fit" is a fabricated white-collar term that provides breathing room for:
1. employers to fire bad employees
2. employees to leave employers for other jobs
3. employees to scapegoat (lie) about the reason behind their termination to another employer

Fit is a myth. All an employer cares about is your ability to do the job right. Those that disagree are on another planet. However, organized religion has trained our species to believe in this thing called "faith/hope" which discounts the need for evidence to support an idea. So, I can understand why many think employers care about you...

Is the selection process random? From personal experience (5:0), interviews are all about sales. Rickson9 has hammered this point home too many times. I suggest reviewing his posts for a complete analysis.
Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
citizen22 wrote: No, I disagree and that was a rhetorical question.

You think an employer will say, after they hire you, "he seems to be not as outgoing anymore, not a good fit = fire him"

Sweety, "fit" is a fabricated white-collar term that provides breathing room for:
3. employees to scapegoat (lie) about the reason behind their termination to another employer

Fit is a myth. All an employer cares about is your ability to do the job right. Those that disagree are on another planet. However, organized religion has trained our species to believe in this thing called "faith/hope" which discounts the need for evidence to support an idea. So, I can understand why many think employers care about you...

Is the selection process random? From personal experience (5:0), interviews are all about sales. Rickson9 has hammered this point home too many times. I suggest reviewing his posts for a complete analysis.
I dont know, I hear what you are saying! But I think that you need to sell yourself but be yourself at the same time! Anyways good points are brought up here..and when you talk about "fit" .. My old accounting firm cared a lot about its image..and the ones that "fit" in better got treated differently..like getting an office when they didnt have their designation (at the firm if you had a designation you got an office) Thats just how it was there! They did a promotional photo shoot with "action" shots for their website...lucky guess who got picked.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
citizen22 wrote: No, I disagree and that was a rhetorical question.

In your opinion.

In my reality, fit is certainly not a myth. Anybody with a base of a knowledge for a job can be trained and educated to do the job the way it is expected to be done. "Fit", however, cannot be taught and is, IMO, a more important aspect of filling a position than the skillset.
Aug 15, 2006
670 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote: In your opinion.

In my reality, fit is certainly not a myth. Anybody with a base of a knowledge for a job can be trained and educated to do the job the way it is expected to be done. "Fit", however, cannot be taught and is, IMO, a more important aspect of filling a position than the skillset.
+1

"Fit" is not a myth. Truth is, there are plenty of people who have the skill sets to do an accounting job, fit in my definition is your ability to get along with your team, most importantly your manager, can you align yourself with company values and goals? What type of work ethic does your organization have? Are they a conservative culture? (ie. suit and tie only). As you do more and more interviews and set foot in more and more organizations, you'll begin to see that not all company cultures are the same (watch how people behave when your waiting to be interviewed, how's the reception person like? etc...), every company is different and you have to think to yourself, can i see myself working here? can i see myself working with these people?
So just as important as it is to have the right qualifications, it is important that the right candidate will be able to perform and do the job well, get along with everyone. Someone can have excellent qualifications but have a bad personality, or not be a team player etc...

Your interview is not about just 'being yourself' do you need to market yourself, you're creating a brand for yourself and you market that as what you will bring to the table should be part of the organization. No one is telling you to be phony, don't be phony, people don't like that, but do create a positive image for yourself, be enthusiastic, be outgoing/charismatic, align yourself to what the company is looking for.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1474 posts
193 upvotes
winterfreshgrin wrote: +1

"Fit" is not a myth. Truth is, there are plenty of people who have the skill sets to do an accounting job, fit in my definition is your ability to get along with your team, most importantly your manager, can you align yourself with company values and goals? What type of work ethic does your organization have? Are they a conservative culture? (ie. suit and tie only). As you do more and more interviews and set foot in more and more organizations, you'll begin to see that not all company cultures are the same (watch how people behave when your waiting to be interviewed, how's the reception person like? etc...), every company is different and you have to think to yourself, can i see myself working here? can i see myself working with these people?
So just as important as it is to have the right qualifications, it is important that the right candidate will be able to perform and do the job well, get along with everyone. Someone can have excellent qualifications but have a bad personality, or not be a team player etc...

Your interview is not about just 'being yourself' do you need to market yourself, you're creating a brand for yourself and you market that as what you will bring to the table should be part of the organization. No one is telling you to be phony, don't be phony, people don't like that, but do create a positive image for yourself, be enthusiastic, be outgoing/charismatic, align yourself to what the company is looking for.
Very good point.

Now, using my fit=myth rational, how many people act themselves while at work? They don't filter their personalities, opinions or words of choice?

There is a reason why people say "I go to work, to work"...

From my experience, I find that people generally do not know how to respond to change without previous confirmation. This means that a lot of people only act themselves when inside their house. Otherwise, it's status-quo (i.e. playing it safe).

When on 1:1 vs 1:group, there is a reason people respond differently and this is more evident in a professional (work/employment) setting: work has reprocussions associated with the wrong response. Therefore, it's only logical and strategical to act and respond in a manner that will not bring negative attention.

So, simply put, we act; we bullsh*t and we are completely desensitized to the reason behind it. We laugh at our bosses jokes; we feel upset when our annoying colleague has some unfortunate circumstance; we say and do whatever we can to come across as a "good employee".

I think I had a previous post where I went into extreme psychoanalysis on my perspective of fit:
has-anyone-ever-felt-out-place-their-pr ... st16863808
citizen22 wrote: This drills down to my previous point: fit scapegoats conflict. It's no-fault liability term that an employer can use for termination; it can summarize bad history and it can transform bad history into good. Fit is an open-to-interpreation/subjective concept that has no true meaning.

I see countless queries on Google for "fit defined" and they are all vague examples of, literally, being a good employee. The problem is, what does a good employee look like today?
- showing up on time?
- doing your work error-free?

Or have the standards changed without any real formal explanation:
- smile at work
- have "some" conversation with others
- don't be a robot

Truthfully, I see fit as *****ing cop-out for forcing employees to act a certain way. When you take into consideration the truth of corporate employment - rat race to stay ahead of your peers (not out run the bear) - you are fostering the development of sociopathic liars.

As I said before, true sociopaths will thrive in this environment. Those whom fake it will generally be exposed as fakes quite easily, or will break down - they simply cannot handle it. Now, statistically speaking, there are less than 50M sociopaths in a global 7B population. Therefore, the majority of people you and I work for are horrible liars; have easy tells; will generally run to management when feeling uncomfortable, or simply gossip. What does this validate? Everything that is corporate *****ing politics.

So, what about the sociopaths? They know how to play the game and remain under the radar (they have no emotions, but can easily utilize their emotions to play on the emotions of others) and this is why they always win.
How does this relate to an interview? You tailor you strengths, tone and behavior to whatever the person interviewing you wants: sell yourself. You want something vs. interviewer wants something, make it work.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
citizen22 wrote: Very good point.

Now, using my fit=myth rational, how many people act themselves while at work? They don't filter their personalities, opinions or words of choice?

From my experience, I find that people generally do not know how to respond to change without previous confirmation. This means that a lot of people only act themselves when inside their house. Otherwise, it's status-quo (i.e. playing it safe).

When on 1:1 vs 1:group, there is a reason people respond differently and this is more evident in a professional (work/employment) setting: work has reprocussions associated with the wrong response. Therefore, it's only logical and strategical to act and respond in a manner that will not bring negative attention.

So, simply put, we act; we bullsh*t and we are completely desensitized to the reason behind it. We laugh at our bosses jokes; we feel upset when our annoying colleague has some unfortunate circumstance; we say and do whatever we can to come across as a "good employee".

I think I had a previous post where I went into extreme psychoanalysis on my perspective of fit:
has-anyone-ever-felt-out-place-their-pr ... st16863808

How does this relate to an interview? You tailor you strengths, tone and behavior to whatever the person interviewing you wants: sell yourself. You want something vs. interviewer wants something, make it work.
I am just going to walk into my next interview without rehearsing, and just have a conversation! Sc**w this scripted crap! If they don't like my genuine nature than so be it! Im tired of trying so hard to impress just to get turned down. There must be something ... they dont like the way I look etc... Im not going to pretend to be the perfect,kiss a** employee that most employers look for! You take me or you leave it..thats it! If that doesnt work than I will try another approach! Thanks for responding
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote: Yes I was going to say that I hate pretending to be something I am not in interviews!! But everyone tells us that we have to pretend to be outgoing etc...I would rather just be myself because than I am not misleading anyone!
I am an introvert. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I make no apology for it and I think I usually come across as sociable despite being on the more reserved side... and you may not describe yourself as outgoing but you seem social, too. So be confident that that is an aspect of yourself that you shouldn't have to fake.
winterfreshgrin wrote: Your interview is not about just 'being yourself' do you need to market yourself, you're creating a brand for yourself and you market that as what you will bring to the table should be part of the organization. No one is telling you to be phony, don't be phony, people don't like that, but do create a positive image for yourself, be enthusiastic, be outgoing/charismatic, align yourself to what the company is looking for.
Completely agree with you. Highlight the good parts about yourself and show or explain how it will be to the company's benefit to hire you.
citizen22 wrote: Very good point.

Well, I don't know how it is in other environments for other people, but I actually do act myself most of the time. At work, if I don't know the others well, I might initially censor myself but I've found that usually the walls between people eventually loosen up and being myself creates better rapport. Coworkers, friends, and people on here who've met me know that I can be vulgar, direct, unfiltered. I am not a socio/psychopath so I think I give good vibes that I'm not going to sabotage someone else's career aspirations and they likewise know I don't have ulterior motives because there's no real facade to me. It's fun to see the transition from politely professional to freechatter, and someone has to let their guard down first; sometimes it's been me, sometimes it's been them. Having said that, I straightjacket myself in front of clients because I don't know what would offend them and I have the company's image to uphold as a representative.
krissypoo27 wrote: I am just going to walk into my next interview without rehearsing, and just have a conversation! Sc**w this scripted crap! If they don't like my genuine nature than so be it! Im tired of trying so hard to impress just to get turned down. There must be something ... they dont like the way I look etc... Im not going to pretend to be the perfect,kiss a** employee that most employers look for! You take me or you leave it..thats it! If that doesnt work than I will try another approach! Thanks for responding
krissy, I'm going to be honest here. I don't think you should go without rehearsing. You can try everything else--a different look, attitude, etc. but you should still research the company and at least consider the concepts and values where you and company match...and be prepared to talk about them.

By "rehearsing" I don't mean fake a personality, character, or words that aren't yours. You should just try to tailor it to present yourself in the most positive way you can. I think you mentioned in another thread that you may not come across as "professional." You seem like a likeable person, but I get the same impression on here. If you want to go all Dr. House, as in an eccentric, I-don't-give-a-damn attitude, you should really be able to demonstrate your skills and experience in some way. Most people don't get away with being an outlier or a sore thumb without being damned good at what they do. On first glance, a lot of people have told me that they thought I was a student. Apparently I look like a kid, I use informal words, lots of tonal ups and downs, etc. However, when the information starts coming out of my mouth, or I systematically start asking them questions in order to help them, I can see their demeanor change from being unsure to...gaining confidence in me.

C_C in her job search thread mentioned she got one of her better positions recently when she started to not give a damn; maybe no longer doing background searches on interviewers to see whether they preferred Star Wars so she could tell them she likes Star Wars, too. ;) But there are other qualities that shine through in even just her posts. To me, she sounds experienced, intelligent, persistent and motivated. So be careful--what works for someone else may or may not work for you.

I guess you can think "oh, it's just another interview, I need to not care if I don't get it", but if it's one that you care about and really really want, remember that all it takes is ONE successful interview to get you out of a rut...so reconsider if you want to lose that opportunity even if it's just one of many future opportunities.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
peanutz wrote: I am an introvert. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I make no apology for it and I think I usually come across as sociable despite being on the more reserved side... and you may not describe yourself as outgoing but you seem social, too. So be confident that that is an aspect of yourself that you shouldn't have to fake.

Completely agree with you. Highlight the good parts about yourself and show or explain how it will be to the company's benefit to hire you.

Well, I don't know how it is in other environments for other people, but I actually do act myself most of the time. At work, if I don't know the others well, I might initially censor myself but I've found that usually the walls between people eventually loosen up and being myself creates better rapport. Coworkers, friends, and people on here who've met me know that I can be vulgar, direct, unfiltered. I am not a socio/psychopath so I think I give good vibes that I'm not going to sabotage someone else's career aspirations and they likewise know I don't have ulterior motives because there's no real facade to me. It's fun to see the transition from politely professional to freechatter, and someone has to let their guard down first; sometimes it's been me, sometimes it's been them. Having said that, I straightjacket myself in front of clients because I don't know what would offend them and I have the company's image to uphold as a representative.

krissy, I'm going to be honest here. I don't think you should go without rehearsing. You can try everything else--a different look, attitude, etc. but you should still research the company and at least consider the concepts and values where you and company match...and be prepared to talk about them.

By "rehearsing" I don't mean fake a personality, character, or words that aren't yours. You should just try to tailor it to present yourself in the most positive way you can. I think you mentioned in another thread that you may not come across as "professional." You seem like a likeable person, but I get the same impression on here. If you want to go all Dr. House, as in an eccentric, I-don't-give-a-damn attitude, you should really be able to demonstrate your skills and experience in some way. Most people don't get away with being an outlier or a sore thumb without being damned good at what they do. On first glance, a lot of people have told me that they thought I was a student. Apparently I look like a kid, I use informal words, lots of tonal ups and downs, etc. However, when the information starts coming out of my mouth, or I systematically start asking them questions in order to help them, I can see their demeanor change from being unsure to...gaining confidence in me.

C_C in her job search thread mentioned she got one of her better positions recently when she started to not give a damn; maybe no longer doing background searches on interviewers to see whether they preferred Star Wars so she could tell them she likes Star Wars, too. ;) But there are other qualities that shine through in even just her posts. To me, she sounds experienced, intelligent, persistent and motivated. So be careful--what works for someone else may or may not work for you.

I guess you can think "oh, it's just another interview, I need to not care if I don't get it", but if it's one that you care about and really really want, remember that all it takes is ONE successful interview to get you out of a rut...so reconsider if you want to lose that opportunity even if it's just one of many future opportunities.
Great response..but I just want to point out that I rehearsed before..and maybe they didnt like my 1 minute answer on "tell me about yourself" I did almost everything right. I have a career counsellor who has helped me through the interview process, and my answers basically explained a little about my education, skills and work procedures tailored to that job. I also gave examples of how I was skilled in certain areas other than just saying it. So maybe they picked up that it was scripted..I tried to add humour also..so with these efforts I wasnt able to land it. I understand C_C had gone through this process for a long time...and I only had 2 interviews that I tried really hard for but failed...but its still enough for me to try and find a different technique. Lastly, just to clarify I dont plan on walking in there and not giving a damn on whether I get the job or not, I plan on walking in there and saying some of what I had rehearsed but I will just be at more of ease when I talk about my skills and abilities, rather than remembering what I had rehearsed. I think if I just go in there and "talk" I should be fine! And if I dont nail it, well no big surprise...I couldnt nail it on the head when I was spewing out scripted answers either. I may sound a little bitter, and Im trying to think of this as a learning experience..but yes I am a little discouraged and disgruntled. I also want to point out that I always do research on the company I am interviewing for .. I am in Accounting...I would like to know what I am getting into lol
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1474 posts
193 upvotes
If I read your post right, did you move past a pegging fault in a scripted interview? If you dont mind me asking, what have you taken from this thread thus far?
Sep 11, 2011
370 posts
142 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote: Great response..but I just want to point out that I rehearsed before..and maybe they didnt like my 1 minute answer on "tell me about yourself" I did almost everything right. I have a career counsellor who has helped me through the interview process, and my answers basically explained a little about my education, skills and work procedures tailored to that job. I also gave examples of how I was skilled in certain areas other than just saying it. So maybe they picked up that it was scripted..I tried to add humour also..so with these efforts I wasnt able to land it. I understand C_C had gone through this process for a long time...and I only had 2 interviews that I tried really hard for but failed...but its still enough for me to try and find a different technique. Lastly, just to clarify I dont plan on walking in there and not giving a damn on whether I get the job or not, I plan on walking in there and saying some of what I had rehearsed but I will just be at more of ease when I talk about my skills and abilities, rather than remembering what I had rehearsed. I think if I just go in there and "talk" I should be fine! And if I dont nail it, well no big surprise...I couldnt nail it on the head when I was spewing out scripted answers either. I may sound a little bitter, and Im trying to think of this as a learning experience..but yes I am a little discouraged and disgruntled. I also want to point out that I always do research on the company I am interviewing for .. I am in Accounting...I would like to know what I am getting into lol
You didn't fail because you didn't get the two jobs you interviewed for. I found when I interviewed people that sticking with scripted sounded scripted (if this makes sense). Rehearse your answers but don't make it sound phoney. Also, don't tell them you got terminated (fired) from your last company. Perhaps tell them that you didn't find the job challenging enough, or your term was up. I don't agree with lying in an interview, but if someone told me they were fired from their first bookkeeping job I wouldn't hire them. Just a thought.....don't put them on your résumé as you were only there for a few months.
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1958 posts
84 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote: Maybe I didn't get a call back because when he asked the second time why I left my last job I caved and told him I was let go! I managed to make it sound better than wht it was but it is a possibility .. Also someone might have had more experience where I didn't. But how am I going to get experience without being hired! There is a job I could apply for .. It's a accounting assistant position.. But it's only $13/hr :(
You need better preparation for next time since it's likely you'll get that specific question again. Personally, I prepare responses for common HR/behavioural questions in point form (e.g. why did you leave position X, why you like position Y) but I do NOT recite them like written responses. At least for me, I gain confidence when I am prepared, therefore I try not to improvise during an actual interview.

I also research my interviewer prior to my interview to find common points that I can use to build rapport. For example, I work in IT and opinion on IT certification is divided. If I see an interviewer with lots of experience but very minimal certs then I tailor my answer accordingly.

There are likely many people who can walk into an interview and "wing it" while being their true self, but that's not for me.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
bellagirl wrote: You didn't fail because you didn't get the two jobs you interviewed for. I found when I interviewed people that sticking with scripted sounded scripted (if this makes sense). Rehearse your answers but don't make it sound phoney. Also, don't tell them you got terminated (fired) from your last company. Perhaps tell them that you didn't find the job challenging enough, or your term was up. I don't agree with lying in an interview, but if someone told me they were fired from their first bookkeeping job I wouldn't hire them. Just a thought.....don't put them on your résumé as you were only there for a few months.
Good luck!
Thanks, I was there for 7 months and the only reason I did was because they look really good on my resume, because after that I just have 1 1/2 years of experience and that doesnt look the greatest. But I hear what you are saying, I will have to find some other way to say it!
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
siriuskao wrote: You need better preparation for next time since it's likely you'll get that specific question again. Personally, I prepare responses for common HR/behavioural questions in point form (e.g. why did you leave position X, why you like position Y) but I do NOT recite them like written responses. At least for me, I gain confidence when I am prepared, therefore I try not to improvise during an actual interview.

I also research my interviewer prior to my interview to find common points that I can use to build rapport. For example, I work in IT and opinion on IT certification is divided. If I see an interviewer with lots of experience but very minimal certs then I tailor my answer accordingly.

There are likely many people who can walk into an interview and "wing it" while being their true self, but that's not for me.
See, the thing is I might have sounded a little scripted..but I also did improvise..I tried to make it as I was just talking...so I dont know!! Im over it..well Im not but as of now there arent that many jobs but I keep looking. Im not going to beat myself up about it anymore! Thanks for all the advice, I just happen to come on here and see that some people posted replies.
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
citizen22 wrote: If I read your post right, did you move past a pegging fault in a scripted interview? If you dont mind me asking, what have you taken from this thread thus far?
Well, from the opinions I got that you should try to be yourself but market yourself, which Im not good at doing..I guess it will come better with practice. In a nutshell!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)