Careers

Possible second call to meet with President of Company!! Anyone have any experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2013 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 11, 2011
248 posts
60 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2013 7:35 pm
Great response..but I just want to point out that I rehearsed before..and maybe they didnt like my 1 minute answer on "tell me about yourself" I did almost everything right. I have a career counsellor who has helped me through the interview process, and my answers basically explained a little about my education, skills and work procedures tailored to that job. I also gave examples of how I was skilled in certain areas other than just saying it. So maybe they picked up that it was scripted..I tried to add humour also..so with these efforts I wasnt able to land it. I understand C_C had gone through this process for a long time...and I only had 2 interviews that I tried really hard for but failed...but its still enough for me to try and find a different technique. Lastly, just to clarify I dont plan on walking in there and not giving a damn on whether I get the job or not, I plan on walking in there and saying some of what I had rehearsed but I will just be at more of ease when I talk about my skills and abilities, rather than remembering what I had rehearsed. I think if I just go in there and "talk" I should be fine! And if I dont nail it, well no big surprise...I couldnt nail it on the head when I was spewing out scripted answers either. I may sound a little bitter, and Im trying to think of this as a learning experience..but yes I am a little discouraged and disgruntled. I also want to point out that I always do research on the company I am interviewing for .. I am in Accounting...I would like to know what I am getting into lol
You didn't fail because you didn't get the two jobs you interviewed for. I found when I interviewed people that sticking with scripted sounded scripted (if this makes sense). Rehearse your answers but don't make it sound phoney. Also, don't tell them you got terminated (fired) from your last company. Perhaps tell them that you didn't find the job challenging enough, or your term was up. I don't agree with lying in an interview, but if someone told me they were fired from their first bookkeeping job I wouldn't hire them. Just a thought.....don't put them on your résumé as you were only there for a few months.
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1922 posts
61 upvotes
krissypoo27 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2013 12:00 am
Maybe I didn't get a call back because when he asked the second time why I left my last job I caved and told him I was let go! I managed to make it sound better than wht it was but it is a possibility .. Also someone might have had more experience where I didn't. But how am I going to get experience without being hired! There is a job I could apply for .. It's a accounting assistant position.. But it's only $13/hr :(
You need better preparation for next time since it's likely you'll get that specific question again. Personally, I prepare responses for common HR/behavioural questions in point form (e.g. why did you leave position X, why you like position Y) but I do NOT recite them like written responses. At least for me, I gain confidence when I am prepared, therefore I try not to improvise during an actual interview.

I also research my interviewer prior to my interview to find common points that I can use to build rapport. For example, I work in IT and opinion on IT certification is divided. If I see an interviewer with lots of experience but very minimal certs then I tailor my answer accordingly.

There are likely many people who can walk into an interview and "wing it" while being their true self, but that's not for me.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
bellagirl wrote:
Jun 10th, 2013 1:40 pm
You didn't fail because you didn't get the two jobs you interviewed for. I found when I interviewed people that sticking with scripted sounded scripted (if this makes sense). Rehearse your answers but don't make it sound phoney. Also, don't tell them you got terminated (fired) from your last company. Perhaps tell them that you didn't find the job challenging enough, or your term was up. I don't agree with lying in an interview, but if someone told me they were fired from their first bookkeeping job I wouldn't hire them. Just a thought.....don't put them on your résumé as you were only there for a few months.
Good luck!
Thanks, I was there for 7 months and the only reason I did was because they look really good on my resume, because after that I just have 1 1/2 years of experience and that doesnt look the greatest. But I hear what you are saying, I will have to find some other way to say it!
[OP]
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
siriuskao wrote:
Jun 12th, 2013 9:35 am
You need better preparation for next time since it's likely you'll get that specific question again. Personally, I prepare responses for common HR/behavioural questions in point form (e.g. why did you leave position X, why you like position Y) but I do NOT recite them like written responses. At least for me, I gain confidence when I am prepared, therefore I try not to improvise during an actual interview.

I also research my interviewer prior to my interview to find common points that I can use to build rapport. For example, I work in IT and opinion on IT certification is divided. If I see an interviewer with lots of experience but very minimal certs then I tailor my answer accordingly.

There are likely many people who can walk into an interview and "wing it" while being their true self, but that's not for me.
See, the thing is I might have sounded a little scripted..but I also did improvise..I tried to make it as I was just talking...so I dont know!! Im over it..well Im not but as of now there arent that many jobs but I keep looking. Im not going to beat myself up about it anymore! Thanks for all the advice, I just happen to come on here and see that some people posted replies.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
citizen22 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2013 11:56 am
If I read your post right, did you move past a pegging fault in a scripted interview? If you dont mind me asking, what have you taken from this thread thus far?
Well, from the opinions I got that you should try to be yourself but market yourself, which Im not good at doing..I guess it will come better with practice. In a nutshell!
× < >