Personal Finance

Is it possible to use popmoney if you are Canadian without a US address?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2013 7:36 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver

Is it possible to use popmoney if you are Canadian without a US address?

I have a US bank account but it doesn't have popmoney as a built in feature. I signed up with www.popmoney.com but they wouldn't activate my account because I am not a US resident.

Got an email reply that said:
[QUOTE]
We regret to inform you that Popmoney.com Service is currently available to US residents only.
As a result, we are unable to activate your Popmoney services.[/QUOTE]

While talking to popmoney I asked if I had a US bank account with a bank that already has popmoney as part of their online interface would that work. They didn't know the answer to that question for sure but said transfers using popmoney from a bank have been flagged sometimes and need to be verified.

The bank I am thinking of using that has popmoney integrated into their system couldn't confirm if it would work or not but thought it should work :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind driving over the boarder and opening another bank account if I knew it would work with popmoney but I would be bummed out if it turns out popmoney flags my transaction once I try an use it :-0

Has any Canadian without a US address used popmoney through their US Bank and had it work or fail?

Services like Paypal aren't an option, I am only interested in getting popmoney working.

There are many threads about getting a US bank account and or CC but no mention of popmoney and nothing was returned when I searched the forum for the term "popmoney"
4 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
wow... MORE virtual currency.
it's bad enough that our paper currency is meaningless...
now we're just gonna deal with credits...
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Paper currency is meaningless? Can I have all of your meaningless paper cash then?

But I do agree with the virtual currency thing. What's the point? Like bitcoin I've never come across a store/service that even mentions bitcoin...?
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
XtremeModder wrote: Paper currency is meaningless? Can I have all of your meaningless paper cash then?

But I do agree with the virtual currency thing. What's the point? Like bitcoin I've never come across a store/service that even mentions bitcoin...?
What do you mean virtual currency it isn't like bitcoin at all?

It is more like using the Canadian INTERAC e-Transfer from your Bank to send money to another person by email address but not as good IMHO. The money comes out of your chequing account or you can use a US Debit card. Much faster and less work then writing a US cheque and mailing it from Canada to someone in the US who then needs to goto the bank, deposit and wait for the cheque to clear.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Never knew this I was just going off what the other poster said lol