Careers

A post-grad certificate/diploma that's worth it

[OP]
Aug 12, 2017
4 posts

A post-grad certificate/diploma that's worth it

I just got back in Canada after being taken out as a minor before college. I now have a BA in Philosophy, three years of writing/journalism/digital content marketing experience but absolutely no Canadian experience or education.

What's a good post-grad program to take to help me get employed in my field? I was thinking PR or Strategic Marketing at Centennial or Ryerson. Will that even help me land a job at all?
7 replies
Aug 6, 2017
22 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
MillennialNomad wrote: I just got back in Canada after being taken out as a minor before college. I now have a BA in Philosophy, three years of writing/journalism/digital content marketing experience but absolutely no Canadian experience or education.

What's a good post-grad program to take to help me get employed in my field? I was thinking PR or Strategic Marketing at Centennial or Ryerson. Will that even help me land a job at all?
My anecdotal observations are that Degrees and certificates don't mean as much these days. Experience and relationships matter more.

To put it another way: do you hire some who has spent 12 months reading every single car engine repair manual they could find but never got their hands dirty? Or the person who doesn't have the formal training and has spent the same 12 months with grease on their hands fixing car engines? The certificate/diploma is nice, but it's really just theoretical knowledge.

I'd recommend you connect with people in the roles and companies you want to get into and look to add value to them. For free if necessary (if you can afford it). Siphon experience and knowledge. Gain expertise. Then be so good they can't ignore you (there's a book of a similar title as well).
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
955 upvotes
YK
MillennialNomad wrote: I just got back in Canada after being taken out as a minor before college. I now have a BA in Philosophy, three years of writing/journalism/digital content marketing experience but absolutely no Canadian experience or education.

Your three years of writing/journalism/digital content marketing experience, was it with an international company? A mid to large size company? If so, that is still attractive to a Canadian employer.
Apr 18, 2017
406 posts
316 upvotes
Always say this....choose a program with a co-op so you get the experience while in school
[OP]
Aug 12, 2017
4 posts
NoWynne2018 wrote: Your three years of writing/journalism/digital content marketing experience, was it with an international company? A mid to large size company? If so, that is still attractive to a Canadian employer.
I mostly cater to Canadian, U.S., or Eurpean clients as a freelancer and copywriter. As for journalism, I worked for the Philippine branch of Entrepreneur Magazine, it's international.

I'm still struggling go get an interview in my field, probably networking is a better idea than jumping to school right away.
[OP]
Aug 12, 2017
4 posts
Thanks to everyone who responded! I really appreciate the insight. I got a job as a charity fundraiser doing face-to-face fundraising for Sick Kids. The job involves talking to small-to-medium business owners so I guess that's a great way to start networking.
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
955 upvotes
YK
MillennialNomad wrote: I mostly cater to Canadian, U.S., or Eurpean clients as a freelancer and copywriter. As for journalism, I worked for the Philippine branch of Entrepreneur Magazine, it's international.

I'm still struggling go get an interview in my field, probably networking is a better idea than jumping to school right away.
Would you be willing to do technical writing or writing for clinical trials.? If so, pharmaceutical companies would be a good option. Then with this Canadian experience, you could move on to other jobs.
[OP]
Aug 12, 2017
4 posts
NoWynne2018 wrote: Would you be willing to do technical writing or writing for clinical trials.? If so, pharmaceutical companies would be a good option. Then with this Canadian experience, you could move on to other jobs.
I have considered technical writing. I saw a few job ads from pharamceutical companies but most require some technical writing experience. I'll still give them a go and hope I get a break. Thanks for bringing it up as an option