>>>post The Latest Picture You Have Taken<<<

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 11:19 am
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
^ Also curious to know why the flower is not in focus since the idea was to capture the bloom of the cactus?
Jun 15, 2011
38595 posts
5580 upvotes
King City
Matrixvibe wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 4:39 pm
^ just curious, y so high ISO?
Still experimenting/learning plus I was instructed by a fellow RFD member (not going to name them) to always shoot in a high ISO value.
Xeros wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 4:52 pm
^ Also curious to know why the flower is not in focus since the idea was to capture the bloom of the cactus?
Well I tried shooting with different lenses and this came to be the closest. Got close as possible as I can. Don't know else how to do the "bokeh" and such. As mentioned before, I don't ever get time to shoot and such. Not a photography hobbyist to begin with heh. Give me some phones, tablets and then you can call me a hobbyist :razz:
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
2611 posts
461 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 5:29 pm
Still experimenting/learning plus I was instructed by a fellow RFD member (not going to name them) to always shoot in a high ISO value.
someone's messing with you lol.

There's no "always" setting to have....

Its like driving your car ALWAYS full throttle. Or eating ALWAYS beyond full.

But what's curious is, you want bokeh but you shot that at f6.3 and its still partly out of focus. And a pretty slow shutter speed.
Aug 3, 2011
806 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
lz7j wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 5:27 pm
^ because he shoots with a Sony :cheesygri
Nikko,
:o Please please please dont put all alpha users down.......... :o .
:) Congrats for your new body :)

@ djemzine.........you just need to do a lot of reading (and shooting) to understand the basics.
Oct 29, 2005
963 posts
41 upvotes
ritz1010 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 8:13 pm
Nikko,
:o Please please please dont put all alpha users down.......... :o .
:) Congrats for your new body :)

@ djemzine.........you just need to do a lot of reading (and shooting) to understand the basics.
That's non-sense! I dont mind Sony minus their proprietary accessories.
Ive shot with an alpha900 and the 135stf lens in the past and liked it
Also, I have Sony sensors in both of the d800 bodies. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2418 posts
46 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 2:49 pm
Really nice!

Here's my most recent one, haven't had time to shoot due to work and such. Bought this cacti/cactus from the Toronto Cactus show two/three weekends ago and the flower finally bloomed. Two more have bloomed as well.

Shot with my SLT A33, with the Minolta 50mm F1.7 lens. Settings were IS0 800, 1/15 sec at F6.3. Somewhat bokeh or not?

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fdsx ... Flower.jpg[/IMG]
since you have a prime, you should be able to open it up to lets say 2.8. that'll give you enough light coming in so you can lower your ISO and still have a fast enough shutter speed to compensate for shake. and just make sure you got your middle focus point on. almost looks like you had it on auto and the camera chose to focus on the back instead of the flower.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2418 posts
46 upvotes
jb22 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 8:32 am
It looks like it's summer in Toronto.

Here's a shot of the winter sky here in NZ. A shot of the night sky over Mangawhai, around 1.5 hours north of Auckland.

wow. just amazing. your nature shots are phenomenal dude. well done.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1678 posts
207 upvotes
bpopd wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 12:13 am
inzite, that lens is fricken phenomenal. I mean sure it costs a fortune, but dayammmm, its got such perfect rendering. ppppperfect.
:P yes it is my favorite prime other than the 200 f2. it's probably the best prime i've ever used, small and nice with superb performance across the range :D

@nikko i envy :P
@ritz sony is not bad actually esp the stf nikko said :P

some perar shots

L1010473 by inzite, on Flickr

L1010475 by inzite, on Flickr

the lux

L1010542 by inzite, on Flickr

L1010534 by inzite, on Flickr

L1010486 by inzite, on Flickr
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1581 posts
95 upvotes
jb22 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 8:32 am
It looks like it's summer in Toronto.

Here's a shot of the winter sky here in NZ. A shot of the night sky over Mangawhai, around 1.5 hours north of Auckland.

Don't Be Afraid to Look Up by Robert Brienza, on Flickr

I also tried to do a timelapse but after having my camera out all alone for an hour I discovered it was covered in condensation, I think I has it too low to the ground. Figured I'd share it any way. You can watch it on Flickr via http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrienza/7400967480/
Im going away in a week away from all the city lights, what is the best site with instructions so I can get a crash course on doing something similar?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
71 upvotes
cyder wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 6:15 am
Im going away in a week away from all the city lights, what is the best site with instructions so I can get a crash course on doing something similar?
I'm not sure of a site to go to with specific instructions, I just sort of attempted this for the first time last September and this was my third or fourth time trying to photograph the night sky.

It's actually not the complicated. Here's what I do;

- Use a tripod, obviously

- Set your camera to make use of a shutter release delay, the stock 10 seconds should be fine or use a remote to release the shutter

- Use a fast lens; I like the coverage I get from my 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5(more sky) but I'm able to get more light with a fast 30mm f/1.4

- Play around with different ISOs. I like to do around ISO 640 - 800, maybe 1600 but it depends on the brightness of the sky and what lens I'm using.

- As for shutter speed, I find that a 30 second exposure if a good start, but even with that you can notice the stars traveling in the sky. If you set your shutter speed to be long, than your photos will look blurry. I've gone as high as 60 seconds but you start to get light trails, but they are too short to be "cool" and look blurry. Set it to be too low and you won't get enough light. Again, the right settings will be determined by the brightness of the sky, your lens, and your ISO. I say start at 30sec exposure, which may be your max unless you are using a remote. Again, play around. I also think the angle you shoot (along the horizon vs straight up) can play a factor.

- Take your lens off of auto focus and set it to infinity

- Point camera up

Hope that helps. Like most thing in regards to photography, you need to play around a bit to see what will work best for your camera and conditions.