Feb 28th, 2018 1:43 am
Some landscape from my trips to the rockies:
Any use of filters?

Any focus stacking?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2176 posts
293 upvotes
What camera/lens did you use for that squirrel pic? And the drop of water?

Impressive photos
Jan 4, 2017
258 posts
104 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 9:27 am
Any use of filters?

Any focus stacking?
I haven't used actual filters yet, but I do clean things up a bit in post processing with basic things like adjusting the whites/blacks/colours and such. It's really easy to go overboard with it and "processing" pics kinda gets a bad rap sometimes, but it can be great. No focus stacking. but it would be cool to try that out some day. I just have a hard time imagining a subject staying still long enough for me to accomplish it lol.
Jan 4, 2017
258 posts
104 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 10:57 pm
What camera/lens did you use for that squirrel pic? And the drop of water?

Impressive photos
Thanks, glad you liked them! The camera is a Nikon D5200 which I got 5+ years ago, I guess you could consider it as a mid-range consumer DSLR. Not bottom of the barrel, but not something pros would use, was worth around $800 for the kit (camera+ kit lens) at the time I think. Both of those pics were shot with the Nikon 105mm macro lens which is one of my favorites. When I got that lens, I thought I would just use it to try macro, but it turns out to be the lens that actually spends the most time on my camera by far!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2176 posts
293 upvotes
zcypher wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 1:53 am
Thanks, glad you liked them! The camera is a Nikon D5200 which I got 5+ years ago, I guess you could consider it as a mid-range consumer DSLR. Not bottom of the barrel, but not something pros would use, was worth around $800 for the kit (camera+ kit lens) at the time I think. Both of those pics were shot with the Nikon 105mm macro lens which is one of my favorites. When I got that lens, I thought I would just use it to try macro, but it turns out to be the lens that actually spends the most time on my camera by far!
I have a Canon 80D with a 70-200mm F4 and a 50mm Sigma macro and haven't been able to get a squirrel pic that nice........but the squirrels in my yard tend to not stand still long enough lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5246 posts
1113 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Oilfield Services Operator and Consulting Contractor
Serving Western Canada since 2013
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10797 posts
5028 upvotes
Southern Ontario
FirstGear wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 4:11 pm
Is that your ride? That's one sick vehicle! I'd love to have that as our 2nd car, not in our budget of course. How are you driving that in the snow with performance tires?
I'm confused, the middle pics are a different BMW.

Here's mine, got new wheels/tires put on yesterday (don't think we'd own a truck if I didn't pull a family camper).

Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5246 posts
1113 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
AncasterRFD wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 11:26 am
Is that your ride? That's one sick vehicle! I'd love to have that as our 2nd car, not in our budget of course. How are you driving that in the snow with performance tires?
I'm confused, the middle pics are a different BMW.

Here's mine, got new wheels/tires put on yesterday (don't think we'd own a truck if I didn't pull a family camper).

Thanks. All good - don't recommend spending that much unless you're a major topless fan, and you get a deal (which I did). On the bright side, unlike most convertibles aside from a Boxster, there is no performance penalty for the added weight unless you're taking a corner at a track - as the added hardtop weight gives the car a better weight distribution.

It does just fine in the snow with good winter tires as long as you're not looking for rapid accelerations - just don't bother with summers or all-seasons. You don't find yourself falling behind other vehicles in snowstorms - where in such conditions, even my X5 5.0 slides with brand new winter tires. Even in the dry, it likes to spin tires in 1st and 2nd gear if you floor it.

The middle BMW was another car I used to have (335i Special Edition)

That's a nice Tundra, I used to have a 2012 Tundra. White. Powerful and nice truck, but it loved to eat gas.
Jan 4, 2017
258 posts
104 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 2:04 am
I have a Canon 80D with a 70-200mm F4 and a 50mm Sigma macro and haven't been able to get a squirrel pic that nice........but the squirrels in my yard tend to not stand still long enough lol
Thanks for the compliment! I find any wildlife is really hard to photograph well, I was just lucky the little bugger decided to stay put just long enough for me! I would love me a 70-200 or a 300 some day, but I've come to accept that my laziness/impatience is a more real obstacle than any lenses i might not have lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5246 posts
1113 upvotes
Edmonton, AB