• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2024 9:57 am
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
Everyone should just RELAX.

Jackwest has a right to his opinion and just wants to see people make use of their photography equipment for some more not so "boring" shots.

He doesn't need to back up his opinion with photos either as everyone has a right to critique whether they like something or not. Just like I can critique a painting at an art gallery without having to know how to paint my own myself.

Again. Let's concentrate on more photos everyone and less negative talk.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
sfu_engineer wrote: Everyone should just RELAX.

Jackwest has a right to his opinion and just wants to see people make use of their photography equipment for some more not so "boring" shots.

He doesn't need to back up his opinion with photos either as everyone has a right to critique whether they like something or not. Just like I can critique a painting at an art gallery without having to know how to paint my own myself.

Again. Let's concentrate on more photos everyone and less negative talk.
We ARE relax, how you doing man? Up to date on your edits? I'm playing catch up, again! :( ;)

We're just criticizing him for criticizing us, I mean, at least we post photos - he doesn't and he speaks like he's an expert on everything but clearly, he lacks credibility.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
CSAgent wrote: We ARE relax, how you doing man? Up to date on your edits? I'm playing catch up, again! :( ;)

We're just criticizing him for criticizing us, I mean, at least we post photos - he doesn't and he speaks like he's an expert on everything but clearly, he lacks credibility.
I'm no Picasso, but trust me when I see people paint with feces on canvas and call it art, I'll call em out on it.

That's what he's doing. You can either let it get to you, or listen, decide whether he has merit and then either accept or ignore it.

Getting riled up does nothing constructive.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3683 upvotes
GTA
jackwest wrote: difficult concept coming up...hold on......im suggesting that there is a pattern of pictures which i dislike.....so if you found me doing the same thing, say taking pictures of the said skyline, you would have at me....

see, i've never critcized any one picture...i could post the "worst" picture here and you would not be able to touch me....this isn't about "bashing" or about a single picture...but I know this is hard to understand

another difficult concept...prize if you understand this one: there are several problems with putting up pictures to defend myself: arguing here by posting up pictures is equivalent to ad hominem. it doesn't matter how good or bad my pictures are....its whether my criticism of some practices makes sense or not.

also i really don't see any victory by putting up pictures...i can already read it "so your soooo good...what are you doing on RFD" "you choose the best picture possible but this is the LATEST picture forum" "you mom is fat"
This thread is not about "Post up a picture that you like", or "Tell me if my picture is good?". How hard is that to understand?

You are absolutely correct - you have the right to feel whether a picture is good or not, but there's no need to step down on people, is there? Just like when I see your geeky pimple face (if you have one), I wouldn't like it. I wouldn't like the smell of it either. However, I wouldn't say it outright to you. (Maybe I would suggest using proactiv as that's a "constructive" comment)

Come back when you actually know what this thread (and photography) is. Subscription to Flickr is free, post a link up with your pictures in it. Don't bother coming back with more non-sense comments...Let's just leave it at that before you embarrass yourself further...

sfu, I know you are trying to be the Mr. Nice Guy here but there's no need to support a person like this. Under a normal circumstances, your comment is valid. However with this little kid here, it just doesn't work. Imagine one day he quoted your picture and write "Another picture of corny couples....I am going to die.", instead of suggesting "Hey Spencer, let's try a different pose!" - How would you feel?

========
Back on topic, some Hula Dance from Hawaii (85mm, F1.2, ISO4000):

And a night scene (35mm, F2.8, ISO500):

========
Cute Yorkies :)
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2171 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
jackwest wrote: also the composition is weak

try standing on the other side, looking at the gun while firing
lol, I find this comment quite hilarious. I dunno if this is intensional, but are you asking the photographer to stand next to the target?

Another entry to the Darwin's award.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
cy wrote: sfu, I know you are trying to be the Mr. Nice Guy here but there's no need to support a person like this. Under a normal circumstances, your comment is valid. However with this little kid here, it just doesn't work. Imagine one day he quoted your picture and write "Another picture of corny couples....I am going to die.", instead of suggesting "Hey Spencer, let's try a different pose!" - How would you feel?
True enough. But I am pretty sure Jackwest is just trying to push us creatively. Even though he can be quite direct with his wording. Although I do shoot a lot of couples that's what I do and that's where my experience lies. I do try mixing things up creatively with different locations, lighting, compositions occasionally. Also since my couples are all different and much of the shoot relies on how me and the couple connect, I feel excited and challenged each time I work with someone new.

Anyways, with that said I leave you more corny couple pictures from my blog. :D

For photo equipment buffs. I used mainly the 50L F1.2 for a majority of the images, the 135L F2 with tubes for the ring macro, and the 24L F1.4 for the wide shot at the end. Loving the 50L!

[IMG]http://spencerfu.com/photos/blog/bernic ... web-02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://spencerfu.com/photos/blog/bernic ... web-05.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://spencerfu.com/photos/blog/bernic ... web-09.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://spencerfu.com/photos/blog/bernic ... web-21.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://spencerfu.com/photos/blog/bernic ... web-24.jpg[/IMG]
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
amazing photos, as usual from sfu

moving away from the ad hominem....i just want to make it clear im not attempting to criticizing a photograph...i think novice photographs taken from a cheap camera can be as great as any other, in fact i find them more interesting than many othet types

by the way sfu has some of the most interesting photographs ive seen. he takes a category which can be commercial and cliched and is always able to find new and interesting ways to present his subjects that brings out their character. his compositions are extremely natural and genuine in some way i can't do in any of my photgraphs
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3683 upvotes
GTA
sfu_engineer wrote: For photo equipment buffs. I used mainly the 50L F1.2 for a majority of the images, the 135L F2 with tubes for the ring macro, and the 24L F1.4 for the wide shot at the end. Loving the 50L!
Great pictures Spencer :)

Which tubes are you using with the 135L? I use 35L/85L/135L combo instead of 24L/50L/135L. It seems to fit my shooting style better.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
1116 posts
10 upvotes
sfu_engineer wrote: True enough.

Can you PM how much you charge for couples pics?
Banned
Jul 1, 2009
128 posts
cambridge
Spinoza wrote: Can you PM how much you charge for couples pics?
im curious to know to, can you pm me as well, i'd love to have some great shots done, and yours are always awesome
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1166 posts
166 upvotes
CSAgent wrote: "The goggles - they do nothing!" :lol:

Good pics Ronnie!
Thanks, Matt! To tell you the truth, while I run my laser experiments, I almost never wear them.