• Aug 16th, 2017 5:16 pm
Oct 10, 2004
698 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dr Butcher wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:57 pm

Putting the Anova to work.

What are you doing here? Reheating for service?
May 2, 2011
718 posts
88 upvotes
Oakville, ON
BongoBong wrote:
May 17th, 2017 3:41 am
Nice. The smoked reverse sear is the only way I do my steaks now. Sooo good
I can't believe I never tried it before... I thought it would be harder to go from a low temp (~200°F) to a high temp (> 600°F) for searing in a short period of time, but once I opened the vents on the KJ, the temps shot up quick and in less than 5 min.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2484 posts
216 upvotes
Whitby
velomane wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:39 am
What are you doing here? Reheating for service?
Yep, I had people over for a lunch so I cooked it a day ahead of time and reheated it and opened a bag at a time so everyone had hot, moist pork for sammiches. I cooked ABTs and pig candy as people were arriving, so, I wanted to make things as stress free as possible.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
Rubbed and left over night in the fridge, slow smoked for 4.5 hours with apple... a light sauce mixed with beer for the last 1/2 hour. Delicious.
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3496.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG
IMG_34420.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Oct 10, 2004
698 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg
Nice ribs, inside and out. Which rub did you use? Do you make your own caesar dressing?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
velomane wrote:
May 24th, 2017 6:26 am
Nice ribs, inside and out. Which rub did you use? Do you make your own caesar dressing?
Thanks. I make my own rub and my own dressing... have yet to find a store bought of either that I like.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8902 posts
720 upvotes
GTA
I searched here to see if anyone mentioned it but I noticed "whole briskets" last week at Costco. I have them in another fridge that I dont' have access to right now so I can't post the pricing but it seemed like pretty decent pricing. I put "whole briskets" in quotes because they look kind of small compared to the normal briskets I have bought. I am going to try to smoke them up (bought 2 ) this week.

EDIT - An update, the Costco pricing is $12.99 per KG . It seemed like there was more flat than a usual whole packer brisket (or, less point) and the overall size was smaller than I am used to buying from other suppliers but I would give it a shot again. Maybe I smoked a little too hot this time as it was definitely drier.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
Smoked wings. Have done these a few times without loving them. Got it perfect this time, seasoning, smoke, temp, time. I tossed the wings in oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, montreal chicken, garlic and a bit of chipotle.. tossed and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Cranked the smoker to 375 and used apple and hickory... 25mins per side... turned out perfectly cooked, crispy skin and moist inside.
Images
  • IMG_3664.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Dec 14, 2011
730 posts
196 upvotes
London
Keelie wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 10:46 pm
Smoked wings. Have done these a few times without loving them. Got it perfect this time, seasoning, smoke, temp, time. I tossed the wings in oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, montreal chicken, garlic and a bit of chipotle.. tossed and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Cranked the smoker to 375 and used apple and hickory... 25mins per side... turned out perfectly cooked, crispy skin and moist inside.
Those look great! I see that you invited my girl Stella over as well :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
Drakestar wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 1:23 pm
Those look great! I see that you invited my girl Stella over as well :)
Thanks! I had a better picture of just the wings but its hit and miss here on what it will let me post...
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9184 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
Mann, that's the only thing about having 2 very youngs kids... hard to have a full day of low and slow smokin. I'll just live vicariously through y'all.
Sep 15, 2004
137 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Where do you guys in the GTA get your meat for the smoker? Recently got into smoking the brisket, also looking to smoke some pork rib and beef ribs.

I paid $6.99/lb for AAA packer brisket at my local butcher shop.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5654 posts
258 upvotes
BC
LondonAwaits wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 4:06 pm
Where do you guys in the GTA get your meat for the smoker? Recently got into smoking the brisket, also looking to smoke some pork rib and beef ribs.

I paid $6.99/lb for AAA packer brisket at my local butcher shop.
I dont live in GTA, but the only place I'll buy my ribs is Costco. They are really meaty and I get the best results.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
215 upvotes
Stuffed peppers - 2 traditional, the rest southwest style. Portobello mushrooms stuffed with crab. Smoked over a small bit of hickory.
Amazing.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3216 posts
128 upvotes
Adelaide
Keelie wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 10:46 pm
Look great. Will have to give wings a shot on the smoker again. Like you, haven't had amazing results in the past when it comes to the skin

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Drakestar