Post Pics of Your BBQ'd Food Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 11:18 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2401 posts
220 upvotes
Beer can burgers.
Make a giant meatball and cram a beer can it it. Wrap with bacon and press together.

Filled indent with grilled onions.

3/4 of the way through the smoke (apple) filled rest of the hole with cheese. Old cheddar but I had blue in mine.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3203 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
BBQ Pit Boys had something similar a couple of years back. Always wanted to try it, looks Yankee good.
raymondly wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 9:48 pm
Beer can burgers.
Make a giant meatball and cram a beer can it it. Wrap with bacon and press together.

Filled indent with grilled onions.

3/4 of the way through the smoke (apple) filled rest of the hole with cheese. Old cheddar but I had blue in mine.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1430 posts
386 upvotes
Sudbury
How did I not see this thread before.

Smoked Six Racks of Baby Backs on my Weber 26.75" Kettle Sunday for a family supper.
Racks were cut in half at the local Metro for their "Family" pack. I prefer it this way as it is easier to fit on the BBQ.
Made a DIY extra grill top out of a 22" Weber Grate.

Jan 4, 2017
116 posts
35 upvotes
Question for all you rib guys...

I have recently been baking my pork baby back ribs at 300 deg for 2 hours, and then lower to 200 deg for another hour. Then finishing on the grill. Results are perfect for me imo.

Now i've tried the exact same method with beef ribs, and they turned out tough. Where did I go wrong? I didn't cut off the white membrane on the back, that I know i should have, but even the meat itself was pretty chewy.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1197 posts
335 upvotes
jesguerra wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:36 pm

I have recently been baking my pork baby back ribs at 300 deg for 2 hours, and then lower to 200 deg for another hour. Then finishing on the grill. Results are perfect for me imo.

Now i've tried the exact same method with beef ribs, and they turned out tough. Where did I go wrong? I didn't cut off the white membrane on the back, that I know i should have, but even the meat itself was pretty chewy.
Is there less beef meat compared to pork meat on the ribs? Pork meat also has higher fat content, and for beef, the fat seems to be localized at around the area where they remove the meat from the ribs for the grocer's own use.
Jan 4, 2017
116 posts
35 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 2:19 pm
Is there less beef meat compared to pork meat on the ribs? Pork meat also has higher fat content, and for beef, the fat seems to be localized at around the area where they remove the meat from the ribs for the grocer's own use.
There might have been less meat compared to the pork ribs. Maybe ill have to slow cook them even longer? I'll have to experiment I suppose.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8922 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
jesguerra wrote:

Are you using a thermometer to check when the ribs are done or going by "feel"? You can't rely on cooking times for one meat to work for another. I have smoked BBQ ribs before but I double check the temp via thermometer (note, you are cooking ribs much more beyond the "safe" eating temperature). You can also do a bone test to see if the bone slides off the meat with ease.
Jan 4, 2017
116 posts
35 upvotes
YLSF wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 4:14 pm
Are you using a thermometer to check when the ribs are done or going by "feel"? You can't rely on cooking times for one meat to work for another. I have smoked BBQ ribs before but I double check the temp via thermometer (note, you are cooking ribs much more beyond the "safe" eating temperature). You can also do a bone test to see if the bone slides off the meat with ease.
I wasn't necessarily relying on cooking times. I didn't feel like i was overcooking the ribs as i did drop down temp to 200 and left for another hour to help break down the meat some more. I have thought about smoking them, but the oven and finish on grill method has worked perfectly for me thus far.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3835 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
Here's an entry that's off the beaten track. I grilled some pork jerky yesterday. This is Chinese style "bak kwa" jerky. As opposed to western style which is smoked or dehydrated at low temps over many hours, Chinese style is grilled at relatively high heat for a short period of time and is sweet, spicy, sticky and moist. Meat is ground pork. Used 2 lbs pork at about $3.50 total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5685 posts
269 upvotes
BC
jesguerra wrote:

I do my beef ribs as singles, have never tried to do them in a rack. Always have great, tender, results. I smoke them along side my back ribs at the same temp and for the same length of time, about 4.5 hours at 225. These ribs are huge, one is enough, but sometimes they are so good you go all out and have two.
Images
  • IMG_3632.JPG
  • IMG_3634.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8922 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
Keelie wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 1:03 am
These ribs are huge, one is enough, but sometimes they are so good you go all out and have two.
Those look great. There is a local BBQ place (Adamsons BBQ) that does great brisket. They charge like $29 PER beef rib!! I was going to buy one out of curiosity and on impluse but in retrospect I am glad they had just sold out before I got to the counter...
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8922 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
jesguerra wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 4:38 pm
I have thought about smoking them, but the oven and finish on grill method has worked perfectly for me thus far.
I would highly recommend giving smoking a go. It might take some practice but it is totally different than low/slow and grilling to finish. The pink smoke ring/ the taste/etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4531 posts
791 upvotes
Markham
Pricing at Adamson is too high in my opinion. From a YELP review:

I ordered the Texas Trinity (feeds 2) $40
1/2 lb brisket (fatty)
1/2 lb ribs
1 sausage (jalapeno cheddar)
3 small sides (coleslaw, beans, potato salad)
1 slice of pie or 2 cookies (sweet potato pie)
+pickle +onion +bread

For $20, I can eat AYCE Korean BBQ.

Even though I'd like to try it, I'd have a hard time justifying it when I can smoke my own food.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5685 posts
269 upvotes
BC
YLSF wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 9:38 am
Those look great. There is a local BBQ place (Adamsons BBQ) that does great brisket. They charge like $29 PER beef rib!! I was going to buy one out of curiosity and on impluse but in retrospect I am glad they had just sold out before I got to the counter...
I pay close to $20 for a pack of 4 or 5... but they are hard to find, when I do see them I buy them up and feel like I've won the lottery. I'm smoking some up on Sunday.
That's my 2cents worth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)